Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I have about a kilo of dark 70% chocolate that I need to use up. Does anyone have any nice easy recpies for chocolate cake? Sally Clarkes Chocolate tart is at the top of my list but Id like to have a few to look at.

I made this cake this week to celebrate the arrival of my Kenwood Chef Titanium.

It is a ridiculously chocolaty cake. Unbelievable. I didn't have all the right sugars and buttermilk, but I adapted it and it was amazing. Heavy chocolaty goodness.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Last night I made a chicken breast with dry cured ham (I used serano, parma or black forest would be fine), flatened the chicken between some cling film with a heavy pan and did the old grate some cheese onto the chicken and added some crushed red pepper corns before i laid the ham over it, no need for any salt here.

Served it with a really good parsnip puree.

Cooked diced and a studded onion in just enough milk (seasoned with salt and cracked pepper) to barely cover for about 15 minutes at a gentle simmer with some thyme and rosemary sprigs and then when it was all soft and cooked removed the herb stalks and studded onion and blitzed with the soup gun.

Also had some steamed broccoli with it.

Nothing too fancy but I enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Swampy wrote: »
    I made this cake this week to celebrate the arrival of my Kenwood Chef Titanium.

It is a ridiculously chocolaty cake. Unbelievable. I didn't have all the right sugars and buttermilk, but I adapted it and it was amazing. Heavy chocolaty goodness.

Is the Kenwood Chef good? I'm thinking of getting the 'Premier' model:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Thank you for the suggestions - looks amazing. Nigellas a good bet too.

I looked at the bag - its actually 5kg! If there is anyone in the Donnycarney area who would like a kg of great quality chocco buttonny discs, pm me. I have a goo on me to cook a chicken and ham pie this w/end as well so its looking like some good eats coming up!

Last night was a quick rustle of an omlette with mushrooms and diced pepper. I grated some hard pressed soya over it - Was vile. I have to stop experimenting when Im hungry. Dinner ended up being half a flake and a tomato salad.

I know its not strictly allowed, but its food related......

I just got a call from a concerned friend who thought I was going out to get wasted on this Friday afternoon.

I had told another friend on the phone a few mins ago that I was popping out to get Asafoetida. Said friend heard it as "Ossified" in my culchie accent and called other friend to find out if there was anything up that was taking me off the righteous path of afternoon soberity!

I wouldnt want to be up to any mischief with news travelling that fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Beef Kung Po with noodles

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11257

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We were up in Belfast last night and went to the Morning Star Bar for dinner.

I had the Thai style fishcakes for starter
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11258

followed by Pulled Pork Sandwich for main
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11259

lovely dessert (shared!) of rice pudding with lemon curd, shortbread and whipped cream :D
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11260

...and I had the seafood chowder for starter
    picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11265

followed by Rib Eye with chips and peppercorn sauce for main
    picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11264

Got a spoonful of the rice pudding for dessert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Did a Rack of Lamb with Parmesan and mustard crust (quite nice)

Served it with some roast carrots and a sweet potato bake type thing which didnt work out as well as I had thought (mash the spuds, top with bread crumbs and cheese, bake for 15mins, etc). In hindsight normal spuds might well have worked better but what the hey....

Had to try this recipe after seeing it on Jamie's Great Britain during the week - Empire Roast Chicken with Bombay Potatoes and Indian Gravy

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11288

Try it - it's amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Steak sandwiches with cashel blue butter, caramelised onions and rocket. They were so good I had it almost entirely eaten before I copped I hadn't taken a photo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We were up in Belfast last night and went to the Morning Star Bar for dinner.
    I used to eat regularly there when I was working in Belfast around 10 years ago. What a place! The head waiter - Arthur - used to really look after me well. 18oz ribeye with champ & a bottle of red ftw! :)

Rather a late one on Saturday so yesterday was comfort food all the way.

Thyme & Lemon Roasted Chicken with roasted veg and sweet potato roasted. Ben & Jerrys fop dessert – Cookie Dough. Yammy!

Used the carcass to make a split yellow lentil dahl type mix for over rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Baked salmon, with a carrot, parsnip and sweet potato mash and steamed broccoli. :) Salmon was baked with a dot of butter, a couple of lemon slices and seasoned with salt and pepper and sprinkled with dried parsley. Yet more butter dotted on and lemon wedge squeezed on when it was on the plate. :) Very nicely cooked, if I do say so myself. Very simple yet tasty.

img3489i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

trackguy wrote: »
    Hot Beef Salad with crispy fried shallots

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=11046

Hey can anybody tell me what the green beans are called please

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Kev. wrote: »
    Hey can anybody tell me what the green beans are called please

Ta

Sugar snap peas/mange tout?

Sugar snap peas/mange tout?

Which are two different things, just to clarify. Looks like mange tout in the pic.

Last night was stewed shin of beef that was done in the slow cooker. Melt in the mouth grub.

Farfalle with bacon, cabbage, thyme, mozzarella, parmesan and pinenuts

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11290

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Baked salmon, with a carrot, parsnip and sweet potato mash and steamed broccoli. :) Salmon was baked with a dot of butter, a couple of lemon slices and seasoned with salt and pepper and sprinkled with dried parsley. Yet more butter dotted on and lemon wedge squeezed on when it was on the plate. :) Very nicely cooked, if I do say so myself. Very simple yet tasty.

That's a great piece of salmon, where did you get it?

• Advertisement

Yah, thats a wedge of salmon alright!

Last night was thick lentil, veg and chicken soup. Really nice. The one downside being the cat snatching half a chix breast off the counter.

Tonight is stewed cat with a side of dumplings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I had Pea and Mint soup with Cheese and Onion tear and Share bread!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That's a great piece of salmon, where did you get it?

In a fishmongers in Castlebar. :) That's probably not much good to you!

Tis organic and all. Having more for the same for dinner this evening.

Salmon dish number 2. Salmon marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, chilli sauce, sweet paprika, salt and pepper. Grilled under a medium-high grill for 8-9 minutes. Served with boiled basmati rice and steamed broccoli with some of the marinade spooned over, and a little butter dotted on top. Yummy. :)

img3503o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DSC00829rss.jpg

Striploin steak (rare)
    Tomato, carrot, butterbean and a black Portuguese sausage stew.
    Jerusalem artichoke slaw with lemon, mustard, olive oil, honey.

The Thief of Donnycarney knew something was up last night so he kept well out of the way.

Last night was lentil and vegetable soup. Im having the same tonight but thicker so more a Linzeneintoph if I add wurst/shinken to it.

Im going to make some ravioli at the w/end. Has anyone got a fool proof pasta recipe for me? One for the food processor would be good.

Also a nice filling? I find ricotta to be boring, pork mice to be scary and mushrooms to be tasteless without truffle oil - which has no chance of an apperance until payday :(

Something tasty, unusual and fresh - all suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Im going to make some ravioli at the w/end. Has anyone got a fool proof pasta recipe for me? One for the food processor would be good.

Also a nice filling? I find ricotta to be boring, pork mice to be scary and mushrooms to be tasteless without truffle oil - which has no chance of an apperance until payday :(

Something tasty, unusual and fresh - all suggestions welcome!

This is the one I use works well for me:

4 Eggs
    300g ’00’ flour
    1 tablespoon Olive Oil
    Salt

I just stick all of these in the food processor until they start to come together like bread crumbs. Bring them together on a floured board and kneed for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then stick this in the fridge for at least 45 minutes. While this is chilling I make my fillings.

As for a different filling I have been messing around with them lately and my new favourite is : Bacon, Pea and Goats Cheese

Pot-roasted chicken with lots of crusty bread for dipping into the sauce (out of shot, obviously). My absolute, far and away favourite way to eat roast chicken.

DSC01454.JPG

I finished off a Thai red curry stew-type dish that I made last night. Made with turkey breast & a selection of veg from a fridge clear-out - broccoli, leek, cabbage, scallions, peppers & a load of ginger (to help settle an upset tummy - seems to have worked too). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Trackguy will you marry me :D:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement