Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Justask wrote: »
    Trackguy will you marry me :D:o

Haha, Justask by name and Justask by nature I see! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cake sale for the Make a Wish foundation in work tomorrow so rolled up the sleeves this evening in the kitchen and made 2 from the most recent Nigella book, Kitchen.

A Guinness gingerbread - sneaked a small slice and it was yummy.
    and old-fashioned (baked) cheesecake. ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

I will give you a lend of him to cook for you anytime....... just ask :p:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I only copped ye were a couple when I saw the Belfast meals! Are there fights for the kitchen in yer gaff? Its the opposite in ours. Nobody want to cook except me - alot of Cully & Sully goes on. :(

Tonight is another experiment - the Cheerios are on standby. Im going to rub a whole chicken down with tikka paste and roast it. Homemade naan bread and minty yogurty dip (dont know real name) and some rice with the dahl I made earlier in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My wife has the hots for his food too!!

• Advertisement

I only copped ye were a couple when I saw the Belfast meals! Are there fights for the kitchen in yer gaff? Its the opposite in ours. Nobody want to cook except me - alot of Cully & Sully goes on. :(

I experiment each now and again but generally he will cook for me because he is so much better at it! haha :D That tikka chicken sounds like it could be amazing! :)

I take my eye off this thread for a few hours and look what happens :o

It's ok honey, you can make the dinner tonight, I think you said you wanted some practice..... :p

Anyway.....back to the actual food! :)

Grilled Haddock with chorizo, red pepper and white beans

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Buffalo Chicken Casserole with a spinach, lime & coriander salad.

385171_10150555098182678_552147677_11719738_2145295443_n.jpg

I was quite bored yesterday and also made orange chocolate-chip muffins.

386595_10150521101517678_552147677_11590204_271949469_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Buffalo Chicken Casserole with a spinach, lime & coriander salad.

I was quite bored yesterday and also made orange chocolate-chip muffins.

They both look amazing! Any chance of recipes for both?:o

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    They both look amazing! Any chance of recipes for both?:o

Buffalo Chicken Casserole - serves 4

1 large onion, diced
    1 small onion, very finely sliced
    Approx. 500g cooked chicken, roughly diced*
    1 red chili, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    500ml natural yoghurt
    250ml creme fraiche or sour cream
    Bunch coriander, chopped
    100ml Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    2 large flour tortillas
    100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
    Bag of baby spinach leaves, washed
    1 lime

*I usually make this the day after a roast chicken and use the leftover chicken. Alternatively, poach two or three large chicken fillets, dice, and use those instead.

1. Heat a little oil in a pan and saute the large onion, chili & garlic until softened, but not coloured. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the yoghurt, sour cream/creme fraiche and Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

2. Add the chicken, coriander (reserve a tablespoon for your salad) and fried onions to the sauce and mix well. Spread a third of this mixture on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Top with one of the tortillas, tearing it to fit the dish if needs be. Repeat with another third of the chicken, the other tortilla, then finish with the last of the chicken mix. Top with the grated cheese, then bake in an oven preheated to 200C until golden and bubbling.

3. To make the spinach, lime & coriander salad, empty the spinach leaves into a large bowl, add the reserved coriander and toss. Scatter over the sliced onion. Cut the lime into quarters, then eighths and arrange on top of the salad. Squeeze over your salad once it's on your plate.

Orange Chocolate-Chip Muffins - makes 12

115g room temperature butter
    70g caster sugar
    30g dark brown sugar
    2 room temperature eggs
    215g plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    125ml milk
    Zest of 1 small orange
    170g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

1. Preheat the oven to 190C and grease 12 muffin tins, or line with paper muffin cups.

2. Cream the butter until soft. Add the sugars and beat until light & fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time. Sift the flour & baking powder together, twice, then fold into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk & orange zest.

3. Stir in the chocolate chips, making sure everything is evenly incorporated. Drop into the muffin tins and bake until lightly coloured, about 25 mins. Let them stand for 5 minutes before turning out of the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Made absolute hounds of ourselves last night, roast chicken crown with stuffing, red cabbage, roasties, mini potato gratin (in silicone bun cases!), grilled corn, veggies and gravy. Couldn't move for the night after it!

IMAG0126.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chili con carne (with extra beans!), brown rice, sour cream, guac, and a bitta pitta bread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Orange Chocolate-Chip Muffins - makes 12

Thanks a mil for those Honey-ec!!

(Slightly overcooked) Pizza agli Spinaci

382068_10150555787427678_552147677_11721544_1172027346_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Your luck to have that chef but he's luckier with your stew!!! I've given that recipe to 5 people who are all raving about it!! :)

Your luck to have that chef but he's luckier with your stew!!! I've given that recipe to 5 people who are all raving about it!! :)

Im glad you liked it!! :D Im going to make it again the weekend. Yea I reckon im the lucky one :)

Beer (O' Hara's IPA) and mustard rabbit stew, pan fried rabbit saddle with butterbean mash and green beans.

DSC00844rs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Tonight we had Middle Eastern spiced lamb kaftas with Tzatziki and Hummus couresy of Rachel Allens home cooking.

I was delighte with the results. I served it with Cos Cous made with a chicken stock cube, finely cut red pepper and beet root and some feta.

Very tasty indeed. I forgot the pitta's which was a shame but the lamb and dips were truely amazing!

• Advertisement

Spicy Spathcock Chicken with green rice and roasted tomato salsa. All from Mexican Food Made Simple by Thomasina Miers

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11337

Sausage cassoulet, bastardized from the 30 Minute Meals version (which is bastardized in itself!)

So here it is, Double-bastardized Sausage Cassoulet

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

trackguy wrote: »
    Sausage cassoulet, bastardized from the 30 Minute Meals version (which is bastardized in itself!)

So here it is, Double-bastardized Sausage Cassoulet

Looks yummy.. what recipe did you use for it? The one on Jamie Oliver's site is overly-specific (as always...)

Fried neck of lamb pieces with tabouleh, hummus, tzatziki and sour dough bread.
    Such great flavours and no cooking skills really required.
    No pics:(

Grindylow wrote: »
    Looks yummy.. what recipe did you use for it? The one on Jamie Oliver's site is overly-specific (as always...)

Turn your grill on.

Take about 10 sausages and fry them until browned. Take them out and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a little balsamic vinegar and water. Scrape all the bits of the bottom of the pan. Set this liquid aside also.

Add a little oil to the pan and fry 4 crushed garlic cloves, 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped pepper. Fry until soft, then add 100g sliced chorizo sausage and 2 tbsp chopped rosemary. Fry for a few minutes then add a tin of tomatoes and the balsamic liquid. Return the sausages to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Blitz 2/3 slices of bread in a food processor with some parmesan. Scatter the crumbs over the sausage mixture and throw under the grill until nicely browned on top.

If you wanted to flesh it out a bit, add a tin of white beans with the tomatoes (this would also make it slightly closer to a cassoulet!)

That Buffalo Chicken recipe looks reeally interesting. Im going to give that a bash for sure.

I was at Le Bon Crubeen last night. I made bad choices tbh.

I dont eat alot of meat - not veggie or anything - just find that meat is very heavy. I try and eat fish at least 3 times per week and its usually salmon. Im not a huge fish fan but I tolerate some better than others.

So I ordered smoked salmon for starters thinking it would be a small portion - I was so wrong - this huge rosette on bilinis came out. Capers, rocket cut to size and a delicious dressing.

Main course - salmon - panfried with cubed little confit potatoes, roasted fennel and a salmon and prawn cigar. De- friggin - licious.

My friend had french onion soup - best I have ever tasted - and truffle chicken with kale and ceps. Very salty I found, but stil tasty tasty.

Port & feta pie. Apologies for the crappy phone pic, my camera is currently inaccessible.

378406_10150572527482678_552147677_11778375_582622979_n.jpg

Stir-fried Chilli Beef with Broccoli

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11348

That looks very good tg. Im looking for a recipe for really making the chilli beef sticky and chewy, mine always seems to moist out very quickly.

That feta pie looks brill. Defo going to try that.

Last night was a leftover from Sunday special. Roast chicken, baby new roasties and sweetcorn bake. Was delicious. Ive stopped serving gravy with every dinner. Im not paying €8 for a chicken and then covering it in Bisto.

For lunch, we have a delivery from Sushi King - a load of samples - Im not a huge nori fan at all, but this is very nice sushi. We also have samples from Keoghs of their crisps - OMG! Think Tatyo just got its ass handed to it on a plate! The Dubliner Cheese and Onion are amaziNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Please dont bar me for shilling! Im sharing discoveries :)

• Advertisement

Miso soup with tofu, wakame and spring onion.
    Rabbit scraps cooked with rabbit stock, soy and honey.
    Spicy Chinese leaf salad.
    Slightly pickled cucumber with wasabi and ginger.
    Japanese rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement