Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Gonna have Kedgeree tonight. It's my perfect comfort food and also is great for using up the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

I made a pasta bake tonight with chorizo, red onion, red and yellow pepper, sundried tomatoes and garlic. I made the sauce out of a tin of chopped tomatoes, sundried tomato paste and a glass of red wine. I topped it with parmesan and cheddar. It was A-MA-ZING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Gonna have Kedgeree tonight. It's my perfect comfort food and also is great for using up the leftovers.
    Would love your recipe!

Having chicken and stuffing wrap and some ratatouille on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Would love your recipe!

Having chicken and stuffing wrap and some ratatouille on the side.

Well it changes a bit depending on what I have or want but basically, about 2 cups of cooked rice, Poached fish (mostly I use haddok or coley and I poach it in water with 2 bay leaves) 2 to 3 hardboiled eggs.

The way I cooked it tonight was particularly fattening with the amount of butter I used but I think it's meant to have a bit of fat in it, be it butter,cream or milk.

Just fry up an onion in butter till soft, add a bit of ginger, mustard seeds, and garlic. Add more butter, and about 1 tsp turmueric, 1 to 2 tsp curry power, and pinch of coriander. Add some peas or veg of choice. Chuck in the rice and flaked fish and heat up. Add about a tablespoon lemon juice. Add the eggs before serving.

In the summer I use fresh parsely and coriander which is much nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chicken & Ham Pie with chips. Proper comfort food!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11361

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Made some spicy meatballs with a tomato and brown mushroom sauce. I forgot to take a photo of it plated though.
    Again apologies for my rubbish camera which makes everything seem extra shiny :D

183336.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Puerco Pebil with white rice and a mango salsa.
    Cranberry and rosemary baked cheesecake.

Had my folks around - the Puerco Pebil was a bit spicy for the Auld Fella, though:(
    Fantastic dish all the same, though I did alter the recipe a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nedzer99

I had prawn and chroizo pasta, with chilli, garlic, sundried tomato paste & cremé fraiche!! Delish & quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Puerco Pebil.

Where did you pick up the annatto? (and the banana leaves, if you used them)

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Where did you pick up the annatto? (and the banana leaves, if you used them)

I got annatto seeds in an Asian cash and carry ant got the banana leaves frozen in my local Asian shop.

If you are going to try this I recommend halving the amount of salt and reducing the vinegar and lemon juice a bit. Original recipe is very salty and sour.

• Advertisement

Good to know, I might try it in a week or two. Is the cash and carry CX Oriental? Did they move and open up again?

Good to know, I might try it in a week or two. Is the cash and carry CX Oriental? Did they move and open up again?

That's the one. I got them a while ago in Tramore Rd. - didn't know they had closed.

There was a thread in Cork City about them moving, but no one's reported back that they've opened up again. I hope they do, I never got a chance to go there and it sounded like a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

A shitload of baby potatoes with spicy savoury mince & veg.
    My favourite Winter Warmer.

e0bf0c25.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Spaghetti alla puttanesca

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11365

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I was suppossed to be going to Le Bon Crubeen (again) last night but things didnt turn out that way :( so dinner was roasted peanuts, crisps, a Star Bar and wine.

Tonight will be curried lentil soup and Im going to try a lentil and bean burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Caught the Rachel Allen Easy Cooking last night on TV and liked the look and the simplicity of the Tarka Dahl she made. I'd never made anything like that using lentils before so tried it this evening and it was delicious and very simple and quick. Thanks Rachel.

Linky: http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/1130/tarkadahl.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night I did a rack of lamb coated with Italian herbs served with sprouting broccoli and my retry on mashed spuds, topped with breadcrumbs and cheese.

Went down very well, this time I used proper spuds not sweet ones and used Gruyere not Parmesan. Dont know if it was the combo of two but it was significantly better (like croquette but flat if you know what I mean??)

Cant remember (hic) what exactly was consumed with the above from a vino perspective but dont think it did anything one way or the other....

Fillet steak fried rare with cubed, fried potatoes and a Jerusalem artichoke and carrot slaw with mustard, lemon and olive oil.

Lentil and Chicken Soup. Yellow split lentils baked with red peppers and chillis. Hagen Das Chocolate Chip Ice cream.

Tonight is roasted halved peppers stuffed with mushroom & parsley risotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 itsalongday

Everyone seems to be gone mad on lentils?? didnt know they were that popular... interesting!

i went into a restuarant for lunch ( as its my day off) first i asked for the steak but they had none, then i asked for the spiced beef salad, again they had none, then i chose the pie , they had none - so that left a few salads or chicken, raging i asked for the cauliflower soup, woohooo they had that and it was rotten, bread was lovely though, asked for a glass of vino and guess what.... they had none, so mad i just smiled , ate my soup and left never ever to return

as for tonight, im cooking a savoury chicken, red pepper and courgette crumble with a parmesan and nutty crumble topping, simple and sumblime!! rant over ;0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

YRjytl.jpg

I roasted a chicken!

I put a chopped up potato and some thyme inside and rubbed the outside with olive oil, salt and pepper, lobbed a few more sprigs of thyme on for good measure and into the oven!

It turned out great, really tender and just great! I'm very proud of myself. :D

That's some hob you have there!

Slow roast, free range pork belly
    rs.jpg

Duck fat roast spuds and garlic
    roasties.jpg

Roast carrot, parsnip, beetroot and shallots
    veg.jpg

also had sugarsnap peas and gravy.

Food forum centre spread :pac:

@ itsalongday - where is this restaurant?

Tonight is split yellow lentils - casseroled with pickeled chillies, red peppers, garlic, cumin, ground corriander and finished with dried corriander - with paneer and a red pepper coulis.

BR - that looks amazing! That would be my last meal!

Yeah, it's practically a professional quality cooker. I always feel bad for not cooking more/better/fancier things on it.

o1aILl.jpg

Ohhh - thats lovely. I just have a bog standard household cooker. Dont let on where you live. This forum has such regualr posters we're practically inbred. :pac:

You dont want us finding out where that lovely cooker lives.

Ohhh - thats lovely. I just have a bog standard household cooker. Dont let on where you live. This forum has such regualr posters we're practically inbred. :pac:

You dont want us finding out where that lovely cooker lives.

In case you come over and cook some of the lovely things on this thread on it.

Oh noooo, that would be terrible!

reallyrose wrote: »

I put a chopped up potato and some thyme inside :D

Chopped up raw potato? When I tried that I got a very disappointing raw potato stuffing out of it at the end:o
    Strangely, the potato doesn't seem to cook in the chicken.

• Advertisement

Chopped up raw potato? When I tried that I got a very disappointing raw potato stuffing out of it at the end:o
    Strangely, the potato doesn't seem to cook in the chicken.

I don't put it in there for food, I just find that it keeps the chicken nice and moist. :)
    If it happens to actually cook, it's just a nice potatoey-chickeny-extra.
    Like you say, usually it doesn't cook much at all.

I don't like to stuff the chicken with stuffing cuz it means I have to dig around in the chicken to get it out again. Tin-foil stuffing with some of the chicken-fat spooned in is far nicer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement