Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Where'd you get the beans?

It was just a tin of Old El Paso refried beans. Got them in Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had some lovely gravy left over from last weeks roast pork so did savoury mince with brown rice.
    Pork and beef mince, carrots, celery, onion, leek, garlic, tomatoes, frozen peas and sweetcorn, wine, bayleaf, thyme, flat leaf parsley and, of course, gravy.

Very tasty but didn't warrant a pic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Friday - Dadas on Sounth William Street - its a Moroccan restaurant and it was office party night:

Starter: Mixed dips with pitta. zzzzz
    Main: Duck with prunes and carrots - odd but fairly tasty. The 7 hours roasted lamb that my colleague had opposite me looked far better. Managed to steal a bit. Delicious.
    Dessert: Icecream. blah.

Saturday - Mozzarella sticks and garlic bread - X Factor final fodder

Sunday - Chickpea curry with rice and dahl.

Monday - Roasted veggies with brown rice.

Tuesday - Same

Wednesday - Tofu wokked with peppers, onions, mushrooms and alfalfa sprouts and avocado in a wrap.

Tonight - Experimenting (ho dear) - kidney beans and potato chilli cakes. kinda like fishcakes except with mixed beans instead of fish. Bean buger I suppose.

Last week I tried kidney bean crepes stuffed with mushroom bolognaise - kinda like a findus crispy pancake. Ive never tasted anything so vile in my life (barring the liver bolognaise or the kidney and pea terrine or maybe the haddock in coca cola sauce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Went to Acapulco for the earlybird before Handel's Messiah in the NCH last night. :)

Had nachos supreme, pork enchiladas with rice and a salsa verde and deep fried ice cream. Perfick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

Tonight we had pork fillet, stuffed with a home-made stuffing of bread, herbs, butter, smoked bacon, apple and black pepper, and roasted with white whine and bay leaves. We ate this in thick slices with mash and green veg. There was an amazingly rich dark gravy from the juices, too. Nyom.

Oooh, have you got a recipe for that please? I bought pork fillet last week that I want to roast but am terrified it'll come out dry!
    Went to Acapulco for the earlybird before Handel's Messiah in the NCH last night. :)

Had nachos supreme, pork enchiladas with rice and a salsa verde and deep fried ice cream. Perfick.

LOVE Acapulco but think it's a tad overpriced.

• Advertisement

AstridBean wrote: »
    Oooh, have you got a recipe for that please? I bought pork fillet last week that I want to roast but am terrified it'll come out dry!

...LOVE Acapulco but think it's a tad overpriced.

The earlybird is three courses for €20 which is a bargain.

Ok, for the pork and stuffing:

1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 large slice bread, whizzed to crumbs (I used batch because it was what I had)
    2 slices smoked streaky bacon, cut into matchsticks
    1 eating apple, peeled and finely chopped
    Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (I used dried)
    Salt and black pepper
    Butter and olive oil
    1 glass white wine
    2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 180. Butter a large roasting tin.

Season fillet all round with salt and pepper. Slice fillet down the middle lengthways to butterfly it (don't cut right through the meat though). Cover in cling film and bash with a meat mallet until flat. Season the inside of the meat, too.

In olive oil, fry your bacon until beginning to crisp. Add the onion and fry til soft. Add in the apple, herbs and breadcrumbs. Season with black pepper. Add in a large knob of butter and mix together well in the pan until everything is moist.

Spoon the stuffing down the centre of the fillet, fold up the sides and secure with string every 2 inches or so.

Place in the buttered tin. Pour over a glass of white wine and throw the bay leaves into the tin.

Roast for one hour.

To make gravy, place fillet in a warm dish and set aside. Put the roasting pan on the hob and deglaze with a good splash water, stock or wine, scraping up all the lovely pork juices and bits. I then added 4 teaspoons of bisto mixed with a cup of cold water - you may prefer to use flour or your own method. Stir until thick and bubbling, and season to taste. Run through a sieve and serve.

Serve the meat in thick slices drizzled with the gravy. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have been doing eff-all cooking recently as I'm back living at home for a while and my mother does her utmost to stop me from cooking. Sure it's only a matter of time until someone who eats their steak blue poisons the whole family :rolleyes:

I miss contributing to this thread.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Have been doing eff-all cooking recently as I'm back living at home for a while and my mother does her utmost to stop me from cooking. Sure it's only a matter of time until someone who eats their steak blue poisons the whole family :rolleyes:

I miss contributing to this thread.

Aww...why dont you put down what you would like to cook - and we will all pretend that you are going home cooking it.

Pea soup, followed by sirloin, balsamic onions and mashed cauliflower, followed by raspberry cheesecake (with a white chocolate drizzle :pac: ).

The earlybird is three courses for €20 which is a bargain.

Ooh, I shall be availing of that! :)
    Ok, for the pork and stuffing:

1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 large slice bread, whizzed to crumbs (I used batch because it was what I had)
    2 slices smoked streaky bacon, cut into matchsticks
    1 eating apple, peeled and finely chopped
    Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (I used dried)
    Salt and black pepper
    Butter and olive oil
    1 glass white wine
    2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 180. Butter a large roasting tin.

Season fillet all round with salt and pepper. Slice fillet down the middle lengthways to butterfly it (don't cut right through the meat though). Cover in cling film and bash with a meat mallet until flat. Season the inside of the meat, too.

In olive oil, fry your bacon until beginning to crisp. Add the onion and fry til soft. Add in the apple, herbs and breadcrumbs. Season with black pepper. Add in a large knob of butter and mix together well in the pan until everything is moist.

Spoon the stuffing down the centre of the fillet, fold up the sides and secure with string every 2 inches or so.

Place in the buttered tin. Pour over a glass of white wine and throw the bay leaves into the tin.

Roast for one hour.

To make gravy, place fillet in a warm dish and set aside. Put the roasting pan on the hob and deglaze with a good splash water, stock or wine, scraping up all the lovely pork juices and bits. I then added 4 teaspoons of bisto mixed with a cup of cold water - you may prefer to use flour or your own method. Stir until thick and bubbling, and season to taste. Run through a sieve and serve.

Serve the meat in thick slices drizzled with the gravy. Enjoy!

Fantastic, thank you! Doesn't sound too complicated actually. For a fan-assisted oven, I presume I'd just lower the temp by 20 degrees or so?

• Advertisement

I bought pork fillet last week that I want to roast but am terrified it'll come out dry!

It will come out dry.......
    if you over cook it;)

It will come out dry.......
    if you over cook it;)

Well no, there is a bit of an art to it. If you don't stuff it, it's hard to not dry it out because it is so lean.

Well no, there is a bit of an art to it. If you don't stuff it, it's hard to not dry it out because it is so lean.

Agreed. Dont mind BR, hes useless anyway. Only last week he was making liver bolognaise. :pac:

Ended up in a friends house last night so didnt get a chance to make my kidney bean cakes. Tonight Im going to make bacon and cabbage and parsley sauce and supermash for a friend whos a bit down in the chops. It seems to be everybodies comfort food this weather.

Seriously, pork is only dry if it's over cooked - even pork fillet.
    Irish people, generally, are very unkind to pork:(

Seriously, pork is only dry if it's over cooked - even pork fillet.
    Irish people, generally, are very unkind to pork:(

It's tricky because pork, like chicken, has to be cooked well through. It's a fine line between just done and overdone.

We'll have to disagree on the pork fillet thing but all I'll say is recipe sites in the UK, the US and Australia agree with me, so it doesn't appear to be just an Irish thing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm posting early, but I have a good aul stew on the cooker. Beef, veg, stock. Going to let that bad boy simmer away for the day. Later on, I'll throw a bit of streaky bacon in. Oh yeah.

Ooh, I shall be availing of that! :)

Fantastic, thank you! Doesn't sound too complicated actually. For a fan-assisted oven, I presume I'd just lower the temp by 20 degrees or so?

Actually I cooked it at 180 in a fan oven. Now that you say that, in retrospect 170-175 might actually have been a touch better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Last night we had a very tasty warm chorizo, potato and egg salad.

Absolutely yummy, very tasty, yummy and fresh tasting whilst still stodgy enough to satisfy us on a cold Winter night :D

For 2
    200 g of baby potatoes, boiled to tender, drained and halved
    2 eggs hard boiled and shelled
    1/2 a ring of chorizo sliced
    1/2 clove of garlic
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    Salad leaves
    2 tomatoes cut into 8th's

Stir fry the potatoes and chorizo for about 8 minutes until the potatoes are getting nice and crispy and the chorizo is releasing it's juices. Take them out of the pan into a serving bpowl, leaving the liquid.
    Add the lemon juice, fry the garlic for 30 seconds
    Put everything into the serving bowl, mix and serve.

Yummy, Yummy

Agreed. Dont mind BR, hes useless anyway. Only last week he was making liver bolognaise. :pac:

Now, haven't I spoken to you about the use of apostrophes before?!:p

Funny thing is, I do put a little chicken liver in my bolognaise !
    But not made it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Sake amiyaki gohan (grilled salmon with veg, ginger, oyster sauce and steamed rice) from the wagamama cook book. yum :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11440

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Now, haven't I spoken to you about the use of apostrophes before?!:p

Funny thing is, I do put a little chicken liver in my bolognaise !
    But not made it in a while.

Chicken liver in bolognaise eh?

reallyrose wrote: »
    Chicken liver in bolognaise eh?

Just a little. Try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I made a very simple vegetable curry with red pepper, onion, sweetcorn and mixed greens

2a50tb8.jpg

Coq au Vin with creamy mash.

DSC00938rs_1.jpg

Pork goulash with herby dumplings. I can assure you it tasted a lot better than it looks. :) Just think of it as "rustic". :p

img3715e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Was in Ristorante Isabella in Skerries last night.

Had this lovely dish for main course - Linguine with king prawns, garlic, white wine and cherry tomatoes. It was excellent.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11456

Karen had fillet steak, which was lovely. She ate most of it before I could take a photo.

Last night we had beef madras. Tonight we had pie and chips. Wintertastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chinese takeaway last night; roast pork with all the trimmings today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Saturday night I had Heisses Gnagi (Swiss pig's feet) & sauerkraut.
    Last night I had a t-bone steak with scallion & tomato gravy with crusty bread for mopping up the juices.

• Advertisement

Pork goulash with herby dumplings.

This was even better the second day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement