Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Cheesy chicken and vegetable enchiladas #happymaking

123w8wi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The last few nights have been a rotation of a few foods - mushroom stroganoff with either tagliatelle or fettucine; chicken fajitas with home-made tortillas (fiddly but fun); buffalo chicken wings and beef fajitas.

The tortillas are a bit tex-mex but they're actually really easy to make and really satisfying to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Confit duck leg cooked sous vide, served with pickled rhubarb, potatoes parmentier and puy lentils. A few french beans on the side for some greenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Sirloin Steak with Black Pepper and Lime, Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetables and Sesame Noodles

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11615

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yaki soba, was so delicious! Recipe from http://bigspud.co.uk/2008/10/20/yaki-soba/ I used chicken breasts simmered before and then chopped really small.

photo4-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

balsamic chicken with whole grain rice and baby leaf spinach

Seabass en Papillote following this recipe from Masterchef Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roast lamb shoulder with crushed new spuds with butter, salt and chopped parsley, roast carrots and pumpkin.

One of my favourites - Prawns & Spaghetti with sun-dried tomato, white wine, lemon and rocket.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11616

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

trackguy wrote: »
    One of my favourites - Prawns & Spaghetti with sun-dried tomato, white wine, lemon and rocket.

That looks absolutely delish! Any chance you could pass me on the recipe? Would love to make it this weekend :D

• Advertisement

That looks absolutely delish! Any chance you could pass me on the recipe? Would love to make it this weekend :D

Sure - i posted this here before back in August but here it is again..

It's a Jamie Oliver recipe. It is enough for 4 people. The recipe calls for uncooked prawns but you could adapt it to use cooked ones (probably adding them after the white wine and tomato.)

Ingredients
    450g spaghetti
    600g uncooked prawns, shelled and de-veined
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    1 tsp of chilli flakes
    1 lemon, zest and juice
    1 wineglass of white wine
    2 tbsp of sundried tomato puree (or finely chopped sundried tomato in olive oil)
    2 handfuls of rocket, roughly chopped
    Olive oil

Cook your spaghetti in boiling salted water. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
    Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large frying pan and bring up to heat. Add your garlic and dried chilli. When the garlic starts to colour add your prawns and fry for 1 minute.
    Add the white wine and sundried tomato and combine. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes on a good simmer until the harsh smell of the wine has receded.
    Add the lemon juice and half the rocket. Combine with the spaghetti and mix together.
    Divide between the plates and top with the lemon zest and the remaining rocket.

Chinese style beef curry, egg fried rice, steamed broccoli with ginger, chicken wings with yakitori sauce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Goulash with cous cous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Beef stew with potato cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was Asian fish cakes (left over turbot) with a dipping sauce, Thai rice and grated carrot.

Another nice meal this week was a steamed Chicken pie (left over roast free range chicken and gravy) with a suet crust. It was my first time making a steamed suet pie and won't be my last:D I got the suet for free from a butcher.

Also this week was (compliments of Mrs Beer) baked turbot with a thyme, lemon butter dressing, sautéed leeks, red and yellow pepper stew and rice.

DSC01125rs.jpg

DSC01126rs.jpg

Jook or congee (rice porridge made with turkey stock)
    with grilled, spiced chicken thighs
    and stir fried Chinese leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Steak and pepper sauce with home made wedges and greens

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11628

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

That rice porridge looks right up my craving street.

I had noodle egg drop soup for lunch so was kinda full. Just had baked sausages in garlic and sage with kale. God I love good sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    That rice porridge looks right up my craving street.

I had noodle egg drop soup for lunch so was kinda full. Just had baked sausages in garlic and sage with kale. God I love good sausages.

I was just dribbling at it myself!

What a day. My first excursion into the world of 48 hour sous vide brisket of beef ended in disaster this morning when i arrived in the kitchen to find the waterbath was switched off at the wall socket. Temperature had dropped from 57.5c to 34c. Golden rule in sous vide cooking is cook and chill or cook and eat. Anything that is left in the lukewarm water or not chilled immediately has to be binned. Great. Had the hump for hours after that.

This evening friends came over to go stargazing in the local park. I cooked a largely vegetarian meal as one friend is vegetarian. She was on a purging diet and was drinking only acidulated water. No food. So we carnivores ate a starter of red wine poached quinces with spiced filo pastry and creamed goats cheese (recipe courtesy of the BritishLarder). Next there was a hearty minestrone soup (without the bacon) to help ward off the chilly air. Then we had baked aubergines with feta, chilli, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.

Stargazing was a dead loss as there was too much cloud cover, but the kids enjoyed the presentations and the model making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Adapted this from the bbc good food site;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7603/panfried-duck-breast-with-creamed-cabbage-chestnut

Basically no chestnuts, cream or star anise!

Two mighty Barbary duck breasts from Lidl were combined with some leeks and cabbage. The pears definitely take longer than recommended but the taste combination between them and the duck was fantastic

Recommend trying this as it looks a lot of hassle but it actually relatively straight forward and a really good combination of flavours

A reserve Rioja did the honors and did them well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

We had a roast loin of pork with a delicious cider and apple gravy, served with a selection of greens and a moxy load of mash. Very tasty !

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Tandoori Chicken, Bombay potatoes, raita and cranberry and apple chutney

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11662

Quesadillas with chipotle en adobo, spiced chicken, roasted pepper and onion, tomato and manchego cheese. Chunky salsa and guacamole on the side.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11664

Warm chocolate and banana bread with salted caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11663

Pan fried monk fish on Rosscarbery black pudding with a dab of Frank's hotsauce and a squeeze of lemonjuice, lemony Jerusalem artichoke slaw and watercress.

Roast free range belly pork; roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, shallots, garlic; gravy; mange touts.

Rhubarb fool (Mrs. Beer) with Tesco finest stem ginger biscuits.

Carrigaline farmhouse cheese (was stuck with supermarket selection but it was pretty good, if a little bland).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

DSC01125rs.jpg

DSC01126rs.jpg

Jook or congee (rice porridge made with turkey stock)
    with grilled, spiced chicken thighs
    and stir fried Chinese leaves

Rice porridge with turkey stock?! Yak, yak, yak. Sounds like something Id try.

Sprout milkshake anyone? :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Back to work and all that. Healthy NFT for 2012! Last night had unami chix brest with mash (no butter, just a teeny slurp of olive oil)and brocolli and roasted tomatoes.

Also, I think as their new years resoluition, Karen and trackguy should invite us all around for dinner.

Rice porridge with turkey stock?! Yak, yak, yak. Sounds like something Id try.

Sprout milkshake anyone? :)

It's the ultimate Asian comfort food!
    Don't knock it until you try it.
    It's a beautiful, simple dish - really tasty and really easy to make.
    Kind of like a savoury rice pudding.

And, happy new year to you too.

Also, I think as their new years resoluition, Karen and trackguy should invite us all around for dinner.

I can sense a Come Dine With Me coming on! And NewFrock.... when it's your turn.... is it Govindas for dessert? :p

Dinner tonight was stir fried butterflied prawns with glass noodles, mange tout and baby sweetcorn. Piled high with beanshoots, coriander and mint, crispy shallots, peanuts and a squeeze of lime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made some lovely mushroom soup tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement