Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Early dinner tonight as we had visitors. Had duck leg cooked for 8 hours in the waterbath at 82c. Popped them in before bed last night and they were ready this morning. Chilled and kept in the fridge, they needed a quick blast in the oven before serving. Along with this we had potatoes parmentier with puy lentils and a sauce made from the jellied stock from the legs and a syrup from some pickled rhubarb. Big side salad of shaved fennel with leaves and toasted pinenuts.

Dessert was a fudgey chocolate cake with cherries in red wine syrup and a dollop of chocolate icecream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Smokies, with crusty bread on the side fer dippin'

1zzq4ps.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night we had a rack of lamb topped with seasoned breadcrumbs overa layer of dijon mustard. Served with mashed sweet potato and al dente Brocc florets flash fried in lemon olive oil

All worked out well and eaten with a Aussie Shiraz Voigner (cant remember the name but reduced to €6 in Tesco and worth every cent!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I had the cream cheese and onion omelette with courgette chips from 'Operation Transformation' recipes and it was delicious. Well worth a try :)

http://www.rte.ie/ot/recipes/recipe15.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

We had a completely bastardised brasilian black bean stew with chipotle corn bread. Seriously moreish is if do say so myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Smoked mackerel with Jerusalem artichoke and carrot slaw, water cress and rocket.

Boned, rolled and stuffed roast free range bronze turkey leg.
    Roast carrot, beetroot, parsnip, shallot, garlic (my usual roast veg).
    Duck fat roast potatoes and garlic.
    Sautéed leeks.
    Gravy.

Cranberry and rosemary baked cheesecake.

I made some banana bread muffins which had pieces of galaxy cookie crumble and walnuts in it.

Dónal wrote: »
    I made some banana bread muffins which had pieces of galaxy cookie crumble and walnuts in it.

For dinner?:eek:

For dinner?:eek:

Well, at dinner time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made a vegetarian lasagne last night from scratch - ie no jars!

Divine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We had slow roast belly pork with a apple, sage and cider sauce, roast potatoes, mash, sauteed cabbage and leek and courgettes with balsamic vinegar. This wasn't my portion though! :pac:

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11712

leahyl wrote: »

That lasagne looks delish! :D Could I get the recipe please :)

That lasagne looks delish! :D Could I get the recipe please :)

Sure - got it randomly from this blog when I did a search in google the other day - it's from this Italian family who are living in Limerick!

http://italianfoodies.ie/2011/02/27/roast-vegetable-lasagne/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Homemade giant sausage and black pudding roll with carrot smash and roast potatoes. Ale chutney on the side

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11715

Sure - got it randomly from this blog when I did a search in google the other day - it's from this Italian family who are living in Limerick!

http://italianfoodies.ie/2011/02/27/roast-vegetable-lasagne/

Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeonyBella

That lasagne looks amazing!

Trying to make up for all the holiday excess by eating well at the moment - Basalmic Chicken is on high rotation as it's so quick and easy.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18327/balsamic+chicken+with+spinach+and+cherry+tomatoes

Mustard maple roast poussins with potato croquets and a green salad with toasted pumpkin seeds and avocado.

Tonight I had the leftover piece of trackguy's delicious homemade sausage roll with some apple wood smoked cheese and some homemade accompaniments, chilli jam pickled gherkins and sweetcorn and pepper relish.....yum! :D

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php? albumid=1826&pictureid=11722[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

trackguy wrote: »
    Chicken Ramen with pak choi, bamboo shoots and spring onions.

Hi Trackguy, that looks fab I must say. Any chance you could post the recipe?
    Thanks!
    Loire.

More duck. Tonight we had a pasta and duck dish. Mafaldine pasta with shredded slow cooked duck leg in a sauce of hoisin with duck stock and orange juice. I had a spare single duck breast - cooked rare and sliced thinly. Then added a little texture with garlic fried breadcrumbs with chopped parsley.

Dinner in a hurry, I put it together in less time than it took to write this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight I used up the shredded leftovers of the roast chicken from a few nights ago, and made a soothing chicken noodle soup. Bowls slurped clean all round.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Trackguy, that looks fab I must say. Any chance you could post the recipe?
    Thanks!
    Loire.

Hi Loire, it's a Wagamama recipe. I can't get enough of their ramens. They're bordering on addictive - which is good as they're healthy!

2 chicken breasts
    Veg Oil
    Salt & Pepper
    250g Ramen noodles
    1 litre chicken stock (normal stock mixed with 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, a pinch of white pepper and 1 tsp dashi powder)
    2 pak choi, roughly chopped
    Bamboo shoots
    4 spring onions, finely sliced.

Preheat your grill/ griddle pan. Lightly oil the chicken and season well. Cook for 5 minutes on either side on a medium-high heat until cooked. Leave to rest.

Cook your noodles until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water. Heat the stock to boiling point.

Take 2 large bowls and sit a heap of noodles in the base of each one. Put the pak choi on top and ladle in the hot stock. Slice the chicken breasts and lat these on top along with the bamboo shoots and spring onions.

Enjoy!

Burger with mustard, fried onions, gruyere cheese, tomato and chipotle mayo.
    Had some homemade wedges with it, seasoned with salt, pepper and a little smoked paprika.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11729

Burger with mustard, fried onions, gruyere cheese, tomato and chipotle mayo.
    Had some homemade wedges with it, seasoned with salt, pepper and a little smoked paprika.

That burger looks amazing Trackguy - do you have a special recipe you'd care to share?:pac:

Everytime I try to make burgers they fall apart even if I use mustard, breadcrumbs, egg whatever!! Any tips?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Loire, it's a Wagamama recipe. I can't get enough of their ramens. They're bordering on addictive - which is good as they're healthy!

2 chicken breasts
    Veg Oil
    Salt & Pepper
    250g Ramen noodles
    1 litre chicken stock (normal stock mixed with 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, a pinch of white pepper and 1 tsp dashi powder)
    Bamboo shoots

Preheat your grill/ griddle pan. Lightly oil the chicken and season well. Cook for 5 minutes on either side on a medium-high heat until cooked. Leave to rest.

Cook your noodles until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water. Heat the stock to boiling point.

Take 2 large bowls and sit a heap of noodles in the base of each one. Put the pak choi on top and ladle in the hot stock. Slice the chicken breasts and lat these on top along with the bamboo shoots and spring onions.

Enjoy!

Thanks a mil for that - do you fry the pak choi or spring onions at all?
    Loire

That burger looks amazing Trackguy - do you have a special recipe you'd care to share?:pac:

Everytime I try to make burgers they fall apart even if I use mustard, breadcrumbs, egg whatever!! Any tips?:)

My recipe is very simple for burgers. Season the mince with salt & pepper and mould into burgers. No egg or flour or bread.

I have a burger-shaper thingy but they are fine to mould by hand too. When I'm frying them, I try to only flip them once so I'm not moving them around and breaking them up.

Loire wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for that - do you fry the pak choi or spring onions at all?
    Loire

No. don't fry them. The pak choi will be cooked by the hot stock and the spring onions are raw and give a nice freshness and texture.

2 chicken breasts
    Veg Oil
    Salt & Pepper
    250g Ramen noodles
    1 litre chicken stock (normal stock mixed with 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, a pinch of white pepper and 1 tsp dashi powder)
    Bamboo shoots

Enjoy!

Should that read teaspoons?
    Would not tablespoons of sugar and salt make for a very sweet and salty soup base?

Should that read teaspoons?
    Would not tablespoons of sugar and salt make for a very sweet and salty soup base?

You're right, it should be tsp - edited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

TrackGuy, you should just start a recipe thread. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement