Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

trackguy wrote: »
    No. don't fry them. The pak choi will be cooked by the hot stock and the spring onions are raw and give a nice freshness and texture.

Thanks again for that. I had a nose of Jamie's site and his version of this looks a LOT more difficult!
    Loire.

No. don't fry them. The pak choi will be cooked by the hot stock and the spring onions are raw and give a nice freshness and texture.

As there is an Aldi near me and they sell Baby Gem lettuce, could this be used instead of pak choi easily enough?

Tx,
    Loire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Loire wrote: »
    As there is an Aldi near me and they sell Baby Gem lettuce, could this be used instead of pak choi easily enough?

Tx,
    Loire

Yeah that would be great. You can try all different types of vegetables in it. Mangetout, baby corn, cabbage would all be good - though you would want to cook them first.

Yeah that would be great. You can try all different types of vegetables in it. Mangetout, baby corn, cabbage would all be good - though you would want to cook them first.

Thanks again.

I love and hate looking at what you had for dinner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was making Lor Mai Kai for Chinese New Year next week and had some of the filling left over (the recipe is way short on rice) so we had that for dinner with Thai brown rice and spicy stir fried Chinese leaves.
    Very tasty.

I'd highly recommend trying to make the lor mai kai - nothing difficult and the ingredients can be gotten in most Asian shops and oh so tasty and a little bit unusual too.
    If anyone fancies having a go, multiply the amount of rice in the recipe by four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have lotus leaves and will try:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    Have lotus leaves and will try:D

You won't be sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I had a mixed Donner from Zatoon. Tasty.

Swampy wrote: »
    I had a mixed Donner from Zatoon. Tasty.

I was only saying last night that I hadn't had one in ages. I love them.

I made a Pieminister recipe the other night - Sausage, Cider and Potato Pie. I had it with applewood cheese, pickles, and mango chutney

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11745

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Chip sandwich.

• Advertisement

Developed a sudden fascination with pie around these parts - Karen made her Chicken Pot Pie with roasted carrots and parsnips. Great comfort food.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11758

Lamb - a boneless piece cut from the thicker part of the leg. I cooked it sous vide at 60c for an hour then flashed it in a pan to colour the outside. It was all pink, medium rare. Served with some baby beetroot, quinoa with feta and parsley and a fennel puree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Last night - a Big Mac at 3am :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just had crispy chicken with orange sauce and fried rice. Mmmm chinese food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Couldn't be bothered going to the shop, so had a look in the freezer, found some rashers, some frozen cooked ham, diced it all up, fried it in soy sauce and some ginger, boiled up some rice, threw it all into the wok with more soy sauce, some cajun spices, black pepper and whatever veg was left in the fridge. Turned out alright, hooray for leftover whatever it was I made!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Teriyaki glazed salmon ramen

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11765

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Chicken noodle soup. I made two portions, made with leftover roast chicken, noodles, a quarter cube of chicken Just Bouillon stock, a quarter cube of veg Just Bouillon stock, 400ml of boiling water, a little oil, carrot, onion, a wee bit of sugar, dried parsley, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper and a little flour to thicken. Looks more like slop because a lot of the liquid got absorbed but it was GOOD! :) Can anyone recommend spices or other flavourings that would go well in this soup?

IMG_4053.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a lovely recipe in the Cooking Club for a spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Recreated a dish my local thai place makes - beef with chili and garlic, stir fried with some rice noodles and thai basil. I have thai basil growing in a pot in the sun here - it's not the same as the sweet 'italian' basil. It has a more aniseed flavour, but it's really good in that sort of dish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive been getting rid of the Xmas podge so havent been eating anything worth mentioning other than exploring alot more salads these days.

I went to Chapter One on Friday night with work. Had the scallops to start, the rabbit for mains and the banana plate for dessert. As below.

Hand dived scallops, vermouth sauce, Gubbeen smoked bacon and potato mousseline

Stuffed loin of rabbit wrapped in pancetta, crushed Jerusalem artichoke with Morteau sausage, rabbit shepherd’s pie

Malted banana cream with peanut butter brittle, dried banana in dark chocolate, hazelnut crumble and butter ice cream

Its was all amazing and Ijm so happy I got to go without having to pay myself :D

Saturday ate out again - nothing fancy this time, just noodles and satay sauce.
    Yesterday I made a beef casserole and mash. Enough to last me until Wednesday Id say. Also made leek and potato soup. NEw years resolution of eating more healthily is going very well - even lost a few lbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Looks more like slop because a lot of the liquid got absorbed...
    Faith wrote: »
    There's a lovely recipe in the Cooking Club for a spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup.

I kinda figured I should probably have cooked the noodles separately then dunked them in cold water before adding to the soup, and that's exactly what Mr Magnolia has done in his recipe. :)

Spicy chipotle quesedillas with chicken and roast veg, salsa on the side

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11769

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

here's a What I Had for Dinner This Weekend post, because I had so much great food in the past couple days!

Went to Han Yang, the Korean supermarket next to the very cute Foam café.
    Down the back they make and serve food, and I was hoping to try a new authentic Korean dish. They do a mix of Korean and Chinese food, so I asked the lady to suggest the most traditional Korean dish and after checking I'm okay with a lot of spice, she gave me kimchi jigae.
    A bowl of kimchi, tofu and lots of veg in a delicious spicy broth, alongside a decent sized bowl of rice. The broth is served bubbling hot, but cools surprisingly quickly once you add a spoonful or two of rice. The beauty of this was that my just adding a spoon or two of rice at a time, it stayed nicely hot til the very last bite. Gorgeous, so filling (I couldn't finish it and I was starving) and less than €6!

Saturday I was taking part in a class and we all went for lunch in Milanos . I got the dough balls and the giardianara pizza with asparagus, artichokes, mushrooms,peppers, tomatoes, and garlic oil. No surprises, but really good. The following day we went to KC Peaches (which I'd never heard of before. The menu was mostly omelettes, so I went for Italian -bacon, mozzarella, tomatoes, I think there were mushrooms in there, oregano and a side of bacon. The omelette was really dry, too eggy and I didn't taste the cheese or herbs. AND overpriced. Won't be eating there again.

Monday, stopped in for lunch at Skinflint with a friend. We ordered the Sadie pizza (roast garlic confit, spinach, fontina, tomato and toasted hazelnuts) and the one pot wonder of mac and cheese with bacon between us, and it was SO GOOD. so so good!

I made Chorizo and Spinach Penne, inspired by a post I saw here, from Pigwidgeon I think

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11772

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Spicy chipotle quesedillas with chicken and roast veg, salsa on the side
    {/QUOTE]

Snap made Chorizo and Potato quesedilas for dinner last night and left overs for luncjh today. Yum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Its been a bit of a food sensitive weekend and week so Im not really reporting in as Im not getting any pleasure from my obsession atm.

Today was beetroot and gerkin salad - rotten. I made it last night and the gerkins were purple and an odd texture.

Cheese and gerkin and and egg sandwiches. Even worse. The pickles had wet the bread and destroyed it. I bought a baguette and took the filling out but thought the gerkinds looked like frogs legs and I took a set against the eggs for God only knows what reason so Im sitting at the desk grouchy and hyper sensitive about what I eat.

Tea so far - Vit c tablets - tastiest thing I had to eat all day and Berocca. THey make me hyper adn shaky so Im off to race the luas home.

Made a herb crusted rack of lamb on a bed of wilted spinach with spiced pureed cauliflower. Burnt the bloody red wine sauce. :mad: Meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not a good evening for sauces then. Made a thai green turkey curry with baby egg plants, french beans, thai basil & the damn sauce split (was made with powdered coconut milk which probably didn't help). :(

Made a simple pasta with chorizo, mushrooms and an onion. Separately I've made a lamb & chorizo stew for tomorrow which is in the slow cooker behind me. Had a bit of chorizo to use up if you haven't noticed!

• Advertisement

I tried out a new recipe....Indian spiced vegetable curry. It was very tasty although it looked like vomit so I wont bother with the pic :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement