Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we had soup made from the remains of last night's roast chicken. Made a yummy stock from the carcass, added to sweated onion and potato, added lots of carrots, a large chunk of ginger and the remaining meat from the chicken. Very, very tasty.

Served with chicken breast wrapped in parma ham stuffed with spinach and garlic (this was a bit of cheat as it was ready done up in our local butcher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Tonight I had Cajun chicken with lots of yummy veg (green beans, onions garlic, peppers) and rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

DesF wrote: »
    You keep on supplying the gorgeous recipes and I'll keep on enjoying cooking and then eating them.

Thank you.

Ah jaysus Des I'm blushing. :o

You're more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Homemade lamb biryani with sides of dhal and a cooling yoghurt dressing.

'Chicken' stroganoff with rice last night.

After watching the chilly weather forecast for the next few days I decided to do a mighty pot of warming beef stew that should do us for Wed & Thurs & then blitz the rest to make soup for Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Hill Billy wrote: »
    'Chicken' stroganoff with rice last night.

After watching the chilly weather forecast for the next few days I decided to do a mighty pot of warming beef stew that should do us for Wed & Thurs & then blitz the rest to make soup for Friday.

Curious!

Just replace chicken straight for the beef?

kenco wrote: »
    Curious!

Just replace chicken straight for the beef?

Pretty much. I also used chicken stock instead of beef stock.
    I just didn't want beef the other night, but still fancied something stroganoffy.

Falafel in flat bread with salad veggies, houmous dressing and hot sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got a carton of double cream for beef stroganoff a few nights ago, and I had some left over, so the following two nights were spent clogging my arteries with pasta in double cream, parmesan, garlic, and mushrooms on one night and chicken and bacon on the other.

Hill Billy, I must use a very different stroganoff recipe to you, mine doesn't use stock. It's from that old Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book which is falling apart in my parents kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ooh I must try chicken stroganoff, never tried it before!

I had lardons with peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, cream and rice last night.

Tonight I'll make a quiche (Delia Smith's quiche Lorraine recipe) and make a bit of extra pastry to make a tarte tatin (I think it's Jamie Oliver's recipe, but I know it off by heart now so don't need to re-check!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lemon & garlic roast chicken, with roast potatoes and carrots. Mmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Panfried steak with roasted peppers carrots and green beans with cheesy parsley mash. (and mushy peas for himself as hes not a veggie lover)
    followed by chocolate chip cookies from the chocolate chip cookie thread. :)

janeybabe wrote: »
    Hill Billy, I must use a very different stroganoff recipe to you, mine doesn't use stock. It's from that old Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book which is falling apart in my parents kitchen!

I kind of make mine up as I go along really. It had chicken, peppers, mushies, onions, sour cream, stock & paprika, oh, & a chopped fresh chilli sprinkled on top. Maybe I should have said chicken stroganoff-esque? :)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I kind of make mine up as I go along really. It had chicken, peppers, mushies, onions, sour cream, stock & paprika, oh, & a chopped fresh chilli sprinkled on top. Maybe I should have said chicken stroganoff-esque? :)

Ya that's like mine without the stock. Actually, mine is sort of based on the recipe but my dad always added a squirt of tomato puree to the meat. Also, we very rarely use sour cream. Rather we use soured double cream. (Bit of lemon juice added.) Cooking isn't about recipes anyway. I have loads of cookery books but they're all in my parents' house so everything I eat has to be made up!

Roasted, then stir-fried belly of pork marinaded in apple, chilli, soy, honey & 5 spice.
    Served with noodles, scallions, mustard cress & coriander.

Pancakes stuffed with spinach, pine nuts & mushroom, a little bechamel sauce flavoured with pesto. The rolled pancakes were dressed with more bechamel and a light tomato sauce, topped with parmaesan and baked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hot and sour Thai chicken soup with glass noodles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A selection of frozen pizzas and garlic bread :eek::eek:
    I decided to have a Sunday off and it was nice not spending the afternoon in the kitchen.

On Saturday night I went to Zao (Chinese/Thai) in the Omni centre with 6 others and every dish was fabulous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Saturday night was T-Bones with finely chopped mushrooms cooked with garlic, my homemade oven chips and roasted sweet red peppers.

Sunday was roasted Guinea Fowl with leeks baked in homemade cheese sauce.

Tonight was Shabadu's yummiest pasta recipe; spaghetti with pesto, freshly chopped cherry tomatoes and a couple of mini balls of buffalo mozzerella.

All in all a pretty tasty few days :)

Roast chicken & veg.

• Advertisement

Jambalaya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Tonight was Shabadu's yummiest pasta recipe; spaghetti with pesto, freshly chopped cherry tomatoes and a couple of mini balls of buffalo mozzerella.

All in all a pretty tasty few days :)

Oooh, I think I'll be trying that tonight. Himself will be having lamb, which I hate so I'll have pasta and pesto (which he hates :rolleyes:). I think I'll switch the cherry tomatoes for the sun ripened tomatoes from Superquinn, I just can't get enough of them at the minute.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I had potato and leek cakes and breaded chicken goujons. The potato and leek cakes were so good I nearly died. The ultimate comfort food, and this from a potato hater! I'd usually put some parmasan in the breadcrumbs for the goujons but I had none and was too lazy to walk to the shop. They were still nice.

Made up the goujons last night and they were lovely! One improvement I might try in time is to add some spices to the coating but that would only be a small improvement on greatness!

Thanks for the recipe!

Wednesday - Bacon, cabbage & potatoes.

Thursday - Made minestrone from remaining bacon, cabbage & the contents of my vegetable rack. You could walk a horse across it.

Last night was a spit roast chicken with baked spuds and a side salad. Tonight will be thai chicken salad and a thai red curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Slow roast pork belly, boiled rice and brocolli stir fried with oyster sauce and ginger for lunch.

Double cooked the pork belly - first time I slow roasted it we were distracted and didn't eat at home by the time it was done. I put the cold piece back in the oven at gas mark 3 for 90 minutes the next day. It was practically melting by the time it was served and the crackling was perfect without having to be put under the grill - fantastic (though I'm not sure where this sits in the 'Don't ever reheat pork' category?)

Then we were piglets and had home made beef burgers for supper - himself makes these, shapes and seasons the patties from around 80% lean mince and cooks them on the griddle. Served in a sesame seed bun with sliced pickles, onions, tomatoes and chili with large dollops of ketchup and American style mustard. Served with a bottle of cold suds (and usually a sheet of kitchen towel and a fork for me, because I heap the garnish and sauce on mine and the bun always falls apart before I finish eating it :) )

Tonight will probably be either thai noodle soup or nasi goreng. Either way I'll be boiling a whole chicken, stripping the fat and flesh from the bones and reserving the flesh. I usually use the breast meat in a noodle soup and keep the legs and thighs for a variaton on nasi goreng. Have cold rice from the pork belly day, so will probably go nasi goreng first and thai soup tomorrow. I'll also give the bones and fat from the chicken another simmer to make more stock, so on day three, if I'm planning correctly, we'll be having pumpkin risotto

I had my first proper Sunday roast in over 3 weeks today because I was home from college. Roast beef with all the trimmings! Followed by chocolate, caramel and hazelnut tart. I love being home because I get to bake. I can't afford it when I'm at college!

(though I'm not sure where this sits in the 'Don't ever reheat pork' category?)

Craggy faced super chef, Ramsay, had a recipe for twice cooked belly pork on the last F Word series. I am sure there was a cold period between cookings. He pressed the meat after the first cooking to make it a regular shape. If properly heated there should be no problem.

Last night was Vietnamese lemongrass chicken, rice and stir fried greens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Little_s

I love eating~~~~~~~~~
    HOHO~~ spicy cockspur~a little sweet a little vinegary and a little spicy~~
    some vegetables,a duck with rice and nuts in it(a little like turkey,our traditional food),bouilli meatball(I don't know how to translate~HOHO~~) some chichens~a soup~
    Waooooooo~~~~~~~~

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement