Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Dónal wrote: »
    Currently cooking is this (put into 12 individual muffin holders) and this.

Think I've got my tenses mixed up for this thread.

For the bike perhaps?

Just cooked (& eaten) Bombay(ish) potatoes with cauliflower thrown in for good measure. Basically using leftover spuds & cauli done in frying pan with the following: garlic, ginger, chili, gram masila, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, tomato puree & a little water. Had a few grilled lamb cutlets with it. Must say really enjoyed it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was out all day, and we were very tired when we got home, so wanted something quick. Put rice on the boil. Cut up and fried 1 red onion, 1 pepper, 5 garlics, 2 icecubes of ginger, 2 tomatoes chopped, a good piece of chorize diced, cup of water, 1 chicken stock crumbled, a few prawns, and half a can of crab meat, fresh parsley. And a dash of paprika just before I served. Beautiful. Tasted just like a paella

5EB5C74710574C5F9D3535B4F8F4D692-0000324795-0002721786-00256L-DFFE6F1570B0496E9F76661D9B3F338E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Had a excellent rare steak from O'Flynn butchers in Cork, with garlic new potatoes, sauted mushrooms, stir fried mixed greens and sauce Diana.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Had a baked potato with a bit of melted cheese and sour cream on it, with a side salad. It was delicious

Tonight I'm making a sauce with tomato passata, fresh cream and garlic and going to have it with pasta and chirizo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

A Pieminister recipe - "Posh Paddy's Pie", which is a beef & guinness pie with smoked oysters. I didn't have the smoked oysters so it wasn't very posh.

I replaced the guinness with O'Hara's Leann Folláin, which has an infinitely better flavour.

It has a suet crust, made up of small discs of pastry overlapping.

It was seriously tasty!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11818

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I think trackerguy and xxxkarenxxx go around top restraunts and sneak in and take photos of the customers dinners :D:D :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The Pieminister book is really excellent. Their rough puff pastry is a revelation and I'm a complete convert.

It's one of those books that I know I'll cook more than two recipes out of, which is saying something (I've a shelf full of cookbooks that I mostly ignore).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

* waits for a re-reg of the Pieminster guy to come back & thank these posts * :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Heated lots of chopped garlic in olive oil on a pan, then added chopped mushrooms, asparagus and shredded red cabbage, and tossed on medium heat 'til cooked. Seasoned with a squeeze of lemon and black pepper. Was delicious and crunchy and looked beautiful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

trackguy wrote: »
    It has a suet crust, made up of small discs of pastry overlapping.

It was seriously tasty!

Funny, I tried my first suet attempt only a few weeks ago.
    I have a plan for a steamed suet steak (not really steak, shin) and kidney (pork kidney in the freezer) pie with oyster(s) (thinking one might be enough). Leann Folláin might just be the stout.
    Your's looks fab.

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »
    I think trackerguy and xxxkarenxxx go around top restraunts and sneak in and take photos of the customers dinners :D:D :pac::pac:

I couldn't take photos of food without devouring it afterwards! :pac:

I have a plan for a steamed suet steak (not really steak, shin) and kidney (pork kidney in the freezer) pie with oyster(s) (thinking one might be enough). Leann Folláin might just be the stout.

Sounds great - I'd definitely recommend the Leann Folláin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Starter: Ciabatta Bruschetta with olive oil, garlic, mozzarella, tomatoes and herbs

Main Course: Serrano Ham Roast chicken, Yorkshire pudding, garlic mushrooms and peas, thick gravy

The yorkshire puddings came out well despite a lot of guess work re measurements - need to get some scales and a measuring jug!

All in all meal was very quick to prepare and very tasty!

Bruschetta.jpg

SerranoChicken.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Beer battered gurnard, twice cooked chips and home made tartar sauce

Hi Karen,

Just wondering how you beer-battered the fish as it looks fab. Any special equipment needed?
    Thanks,
    Loire.

Last night I had a butternut squash and chick pea stew that my sister made.
    Twas yumm. I must get the recipe from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Karen,

Just wondering how you beer-battered the fish as it looks fab. Any special equipment needed?
    Thanks,
    Loire.

Hi Loire!

Nothing special needed at all its really simple. Just sift 200g plain flour with a pinch of salt. Whisk in 2 tbsp of olive oil and then 350ml of good beer or ale and that's your batter :)

Hi Loire!

Nothing special needed at all its really simple. Just sift 200g plain flour with a pinch of salt. Whisk in 2 tbsp of olive oil and then 350ml of good beer or ale and that's your batter :)

Thanks for that...once it's battered icon7.gif how do you cook it then?

Loire wrote: »
    Thanks for that...once it's battered icon7.gif how do you cook it then?

Sorry that should have been 250ml of beer! :o

Dip the fish in the batter and immediatly lower it, slowly, into hot oil.

Leave to fry until the batter is golden brown. Because it floats on top, you may need to flip ot over half way through!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Hey Karen, did you use a saucepan to deep fry or a deep-fat fryer?

Also for the chips did you cut them to shape, soak in water and then fry twice or was there anything different because they look amazing!

tmc86 wrote: »
    Hey Karen, did you use a saucepan to deep fry or a deep-fat fryer?

Also for the chips did you cut them to shape, soak in water and then fry twice or was there anything different because they look amazing!

For the fish fill a medium saucepan, one third full with veg oil and fried over a medium high heat.

The chips were cut with a chip cutter thing, not sure if theres a technical name for it :o they were fried twice in a deep fat fryer...once at 140 degrees until tender, then again at 190 degrees until crisp :)

• Advertisement

For the fish fill a medium saucepan, one third full with veg oil and fried over a medium high heat.

The chips were cut with a chip cutter thing, not sure if theres a technical name for it :o they were fried twice in a deep fat fryer...once at 140 degrees until tender, then again at 190 degrees until crisp :)

Thanks Karen, that's perfect.
    Loire.

Chicken Thighs, marinaded in rice wine, a little soy, sesame oil and honey, sprinkled with sesame seeds and roasted in the oven

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11846

Stir-Fried Broccoli with chilli & ginger. Had some steamed rice too.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11847

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Think i'll try stir fry broccoli with chilli and garlic tomorrow night.

Mrs Billy & My Boys made me a lovely steak & kidney pie for my birthday dinner. :)

190856.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich with jerk salsa

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11844

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I made dinner for South African friends tonight and wanted them to have something a little Irish, so I made smoked salmon pate to start with crusty bread and crudites, followed by big steaming bowls of coddle. It was smashing. Husband made dessert - chocolate walnut brownies with vanilla ice cream.

Chicken Laksa with soba noodles

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11864

Went a bit crazy yesterday with cooking!

To start we had Hederman's smoked salmon on Swedish crisp rolls (a childhood favourite of mine) with black pepper and lemon juice. OK, no cooking involved there.

For main I did lamb two ways which consisted of roast boneless loin (very pink) and the rissole like thing was a lamb breast (lap) rolled and slow roast for about 3 hours which I left to chill overnight so I could slice it into rounds and coat it in a herb, polenta, cheese (Desmond - like parmesan) and breadcrumb coating. They were then browned in the pan and gently heated through in the oven.

I made a tomato and lamb reduction with olives and capers to go with this and a potato, Jerusalem artichoke and apple bake and some lemon scented sweet heart cabbage.

For dessert I made a ginger, cranberry and rosemary baked cheesecake.

Some cheese was had too as was wine, beer and rum.

DSC01142_rs.jpg
    To be honest, it tasted way better than it looks - presentation is not my strong point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Went a bit crazy yesterday with cooking!

To start we had Hederman's smoked salmon on Swedish crisp rolls (a childhood favourite of mine) with black pepper and lemon juice. OK, no cooking involved there.

For main I did lamb two ways which consisted of roast boneless loin (very pink) and the rissole like thing was a lamb breast (lap) rolled and slow roast for about 3 hours which I left to chill overnight so I could slice it into rounds and coat it in a herb, polenta, cheese (Desmond - like parmesan) and breadcrumb coating. They were then browned in the pan and gently heated through in the oven.

I made a tomato and lamb reduction with olives and capers to go with this and a potato, Jerusalem artichoke and apple bake and some lemon scented sweet heart cabbage.

For dessert I made a ginger, cranberry and rosemary baked cheesecake.

Some cheese was had too as was wine, beer and rum.

To be honest, it tasted way better than it looks - presentation is not my strong point!

looks amazing beer really my type of food.

• Advertisement

Looks great to me! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement