Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Cooked for the first time in aaaaaaaages - Jamie Oliver's green chilli with homemade guacamole.

423064_10150745981072678_552147677_12418436_90825068_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Mrs Billy & My Boys made me a lovely steak & kidney pie for my birthday dinner. :)

Could I have Mrs Billys recipe for this as my OH would love a steak and kidney pie but want a trusted and tried recipe... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

bought some nice pork and thyme meatballs to make with spaghetti and a home made tomato and basil sauce.
    I have officially GIVEN UP on tomato based pasta sauces!

I started with chopped up onions, garlic and chillis in the pan, then added loads of freshly chopped tomatoes. however, was too dry, so I caved and added half a tin of chopped tomatoes too. added loads of fresh basil, some oregano and a little rosemary and mozzarella. A good dash of sugar too, and black pepper.

It still sucked. It was edible (and the meatballs were tasty) but the sauce was super meh. Every time I make a pasta sauce it ends up the same, even though I change up the recipes. Pretty unrewarding when you spend an hour cooking something and it doesn't taste half as good as the stuff from the jar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Tomato sauce needs SALT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

bought some nice pork and thyme meatballs to make with spaghetti and a home made tomato and basil sauce.

I started with chopped up onions, garlic and chillis in the pan, then added loads of freshly chopped tomatoes. however, was too dry, so I caved and added half a tin of chopped tomatoes too. added loads of fresh basil, some oregano and a little rosemary and mozzarella. A good dash of sugar too, and black pepper.

It still sucked. It was edible (and the meatballs were tasty) but the sauce was super meh. Every time I make a pasta sauce it ends up the same, even though I change up the recipes. Pretty unrewarding when you spend an hour cooking something and it doesn't taste half as good as the stuff from the jar!

+1 for salt. Also add a dash of balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar). during winter canned tomatoes are often better then fresh tomatoes, as they just don't have the flavour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Having Madhur Jafferey's Lamb bhuna as well as her naan bread tonight. Trying to think what to have it with as even with the rice I'm starting to think I won't have enough. Any suggestions for a side?

EDIT: It was lovely in the end and FYI beer works perfectly as the missing side.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Am up in Sligo at the moment visiting my relatives. Went for dinner to Davis' restaurant with my Dad and Grandmother. I had the Lemon Sole stuffed with Crab with a Cheesy Sauce and Garlic Potatoes and Vegetables as a side. Dad had the same but stuffed with crab and prawns and Granny had the fishcakes. All was lovely :) Had to bring home a takeaway strawberry and apple crumble for my other Grandad too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Needed to use up some bacon so some yummy pasta amatriciana was in order.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I tried this tomato sauce recipe tonight it is absolutely delicious!

For dinner tonight we had chicken cacciatore with mash, it was really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Meatloaf flavoured with Parmesan with tomato and basil sauce, mash and peas.

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11883

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Starter was chilli prawns with popcorn puree and a few mustard leaves. Main was braised lamb shanks with flageolet beans, served with wet polenta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭buzztastic

Definitely need to season with salt well. Also use good quality chopped tomatoes, the best pasta sauce i made was with dececco brand i got in a posh shop in dublin, wouldn't make a habit of it cos of the price but it was the only time i made pasta sauce and it tasted restaurant quality. Roma organic are pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Lamb curry with steamed basmati rice and shop-bought naan. No specific curry, just made with stewing lamb, minced garlic, LOTS of sweated onion, beef stock, creamed coconut, passata, curry powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, paprika, hot chilli powder, a cap full of cider vinegar, some lemon juice, some sugar and finished with a dollop of natural yogurt. VERY yummy and actually quite healthy as I didn't overdo the rice and naan. :)

IMG_4297.jpg
    Meatloaf flavoured with Parmesan with tomato and basil sauce, mash and peas.

Looks so good, have you got a recipe please? I don't really buy cheese so what could I use to substitute for the Parmesan?

Looks so good, have you got a recipe please? I don't really buy cheese so what could I use to substitute for the Parmesan?

Sure no prob! The parmesan gives it quite a salty tangy flavour so I would say season well with salt and pepper and maybe add some lemon zest :) Also you need:
    900g minced beef
    2 eggs beaten
    75g fresh white breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp chopped parsley

For the tomato sauce:
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic crushed
    1 tin of plum tomatoes
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbs chopped basil

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees

For the meatloaf mix together the beef, eggs breadcrumbs parsley and Parmesan or lemon zest of using. Season well. Bring together into a loaf shape and put into a greased roasting tin. Bake for roughly 1 and half hours.

For the sauce, sweat the onions for 5 mins add garlic, tomatoes, sugar and some salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until reduced a little then add the basil. Leave to cool then blend to a smooth puree.

Sure no prob! The parmesan gives it quite a salty tangy flavour so I would say season well with salt and pepper and maybe add some lemon zest :) Also you need:
    900g minced beef
    2 eggs beaten
    75g fresh white breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp chopped parsley

For the tomato sauce:
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic crushed
    1 tin of plum tomatoes
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbs chopped basil

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees

For the meatloaf mix together the beef, eggs breadcrumbs parsley and Parmesan or lemon zest of using. Season well. Bring together into a loaf shape and put into a greased roasting tin. Bake for roughly 1 and half hours.

For the sauce, sweat the onions for 5 mins add garlic, tomatoes, sugar and some salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until reduced a little then add the basil. Leave to cool then blend to a smooth puree.

Cool, thanks! Might try it with half beef mince, half pork mince. :)

Oh, what oven temp (non-fan assisted) and oven position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a steak sandwich last night, and made a video of it :P

Steak, two eggs, cheese, oil, and bread.

Cool, thanks! Might try it with half beef mince, half pork mince. :)

Oh, what oven temp (non-fan assisted) and oven position?

180 degrees. Middle shelf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Minder wrote: »
    Starter was chilli prawns with popcorn puree and a few mustard leaves. Main was braised lamb shanks with flageolet beans, served with wet polenta.

I'd love the recipe for this please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Today I cooked venison for the first time. It was incredible. Roasted a large piece, rubbed first with a mix of sage and olive oil. Served with roast spuds, carrots parsnips, sweet potato, carrot, garlic and onion. Made a redcurrant port gravy with the meat juices.

fddf02.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had goulash with roasted gnocchi. Lovely comfort food in crap weather like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

eastbono wrote: »
    Could I have Mrs Billys recipe for this as my OH would love a steak and kidney pie but want a trusted and tried recipe... Thanks

Sorry - only saw this now. Will ask Mrs Billy for the recipe (if she has one - kind of a makey-up cook) tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I made Wholemeal Fusilli with Pancetta and Cannellini Beans.

Pasta_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

God, I hate looking at this thread while hungry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

trackguy wrote: »
    I'd love the recipe for this please

Popped Popcorn 100g
    Milk 400g
    Cream 100g

Add popcorn to scalded milk and cream, steep popcorn in the liquid for 30 mins and blend. Add salt. Push through a sieve.

Well at least that was the recipe I read. It didn't quite work and the quantities above will make a lot of puree. Also I found that the clag produced by steeping the popcorn in hot milk won't blend in all but the most robust of machines.

So I'd go for 50g of popcorn in something like 200g of scalded milk. Use fresh cream to lighten it as it blends. Add salt to taste. Since it's impossible to make 50g of popcorn, add extra popcorn if its too wet and more cream if its too dry.

Dinner tonight was sous vide short ribs. Cooked for 48 hours at 55c, they were pink and juicy and tough as old leather. So much for water bath alchemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had chicken in a spicy tomato sauce with rosemary potatoes.

The tomato sauce is very easy to make - garlic, onions, 2 tins of tomatoes, a good pinch of chili flakes, cubed peppers and a tin of sweetcorn. Stew it all up for a few hours beforehand for the best taste.

Last time I made it, I made the "mistake" of using fresh chills - there must have been something wrong with them, because there was no kick to the sauce. Using the dried chili flakes was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bangers and mash last night.
    Tesco finest cumberland (pretty good), baked then mashed roosters, red wine onion gravy, buttered carrots.
    Nice!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chilli Prawns with soba noodles. Kale stir-fried with chilli, onion and lime.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11916

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

The weather is heating up here in India so time for salady dinners and lots of fruit. This is my dinner tonight, very simple plate of cucumber, carrot, red onion, tomato and 2 pieces of smoked cheese. Had to go all the way to Calcutta for this cheese so I'm trying to ration it!

IMG_2381.jpg

Meatloaf, made with mix of minced beef and minced pork:

IMG_4374.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had friends over on Saturday night for dinner - starter of simple bruschetta (peel tomatoes and deseed, finely chop, leave in a bowl for four hours with large glugs of extra virgin fruity olive oil, couple of crushed cloves of garlic and handfuls of shredded basil, then pile the tomato, basil and oil high on toasted sourdough slices sans the large cloves of crushed garlic).

Then lasagne, based on Delia's al forno recipe - except the oven died completely 1/2 way through cooking. So we had lasagne finished on the barbecue (closing the lid and using it as an oven.) Edible, but not the golden-topped luciousness it should've been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement