Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Paella with chicken, prawns and artichokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled chicken thighs on the bone with grilled tomatoes, potato and artichoke cake, green beans and white wine chicken jus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Last night's meatloaf chopped up and mixed with homemade tomato balsamic sauce with a dollop of natural yoghurt and fried tatties on the side. Doesn't look pretty but I can't even describe how good this was! :)

IMG_4402.jpg

House special fried rice!
    Thai brown rice fried with egg, pork hock, onion, carrot, celery, peas, red pepper, preserved soya beans, garlic, chilli, ginger, spring onion, soy sauce, sesame oil and some chicken jus from last night.

DSC01143rs.jpg

Wow! two in a row!;)
    (where is everybody)

Steamed suet pudding of chicken, bacon and veg.

What I learned: when making a filled suet pudding, if the filling isn't pretty stiff, the pudding will collapse and leak a bit when turned out (as in photo).
    Thing is, I like a runnier filling rather than a stiff one so I might just live with the collapsing and leaking.

DSC01145rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight I smeared a beautiful joint of rolled rib of beef in mustard and flour and roasted until it was gloriously caramelised on the outside and somewhere between medium and medium rare inside...I sliced it as thinly as possible and served with creamy mash, greens and delicious gravy from the meat juices...drool. Fresh coffee and blueberries for dessert.

Tonight we had chicken wings with garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon; a patatas bravas sauce and oven chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Karen made Cottage Pie - I wonder what she's trying to say with portions like this??

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11938

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Chicken pie from Dan Lepard's Short and Sweet book.
    Never been let down by any of his recipes, the book is well worth picking up.

He fries off some leeks to start the filling, adds chopped boneless chicken, then sour-cream and some cornflour. I replaced the leeks with a red onion, and added broccoli to the filling before putting it in the pie. Really tasty. His pastry recipe is brilliant.

AlPK6d-CQAAgz0E.jpg

Spaghetti alla puttanesca

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11951

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

trackguy wrote: »
    Spaghetti alla puttanesca

Ya big hooer. Tasty. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was roast chicken filled with bay leaves and seasoned generously! Served with roast pots tossed in Parmesan and ground white pepper. Veg was string beans boiled al dente and then drained and sprinkled with lemon infused olive oil over a hot ring for a min or so

Tonight will be slow roasted pork belly with to be decided and I think a starter of some shop bought Thai fish cakes (in advance of the Rugger!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I made parsnip, carrot, sweet potato and potato mash. Served with grilled flounder, sweetcorn and homemade parsley sauce.

All was going well food wise this evening till my new breadmaker failed on me and my first batch (cinnamon, sultana and walnut bread) was ruined. Agghh.

xlz6n8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

warm stir fried chicken salad

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=11958

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Dropped (chopped) one stick of celery and 200g of mushrooms into a very hot pan. Salted and stir-fried, then deglazed with the finest kettle water. Some garlic powder and little reducing and I get something resembling Chinese food!

Hit the spot. The celery was nice and mild by the end of the cooking and had a texture a bit like water chestnuts. I had a hankering for the two ingredients but didn't think it would be so good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sweet Chili Steak stir fry with Carrots,leaks,red peppers & Onions.

8f24b9eb.jpg?t=1328545069

b813dda7.jpg?t=1328545715

c74f4269.jpg?t=1328545715

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sweet & sour chicken, veg & bean srpouts with brown pasta!

f78826f7.jpg?t=1328812352

aab709b8.jpg?t=1328812365

aefb3f58.jpg?t=1328812374

Rib eye steaks with potato rosti, Jerusalem artichoke mustard slaw, watercress and lettuce salad and onion gravy.

DSC01153rs.jpg

I had my first crack at making tortillas and used some blue corn meal that I recently bought. They were very striking in appearance and tasted great. They become another flavour in the dish as opposed to usually just being something bland to wrap stuff in.

Used them to make fish tacos. Deep fried some whiting in a light-tempura style batter and served it in the tortillas with some chipotle sour cream, chunky salsa and guacamole.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11962

Had some simple turnoverd for dessert. Some filled with nutella, others filled with stewed apple.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11963

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Rib eye steaks with potato rosti, Jerusalem artichoke mustard slaw, watercress and lettuce salad and onion gravy.

<image snip>

Looks awesome !!
    do you have a recipe for your rosti please !?

• Advertisement

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Looks awesome !!

(apparently not an authentic rosti which is made with cooked potato) but for mine I just peel and grate potatoes (these were roosters) then put the grated potato in a clean cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as you can and season the potato with salt and pepper (you could put some fresh thyme in too if you like).
    Heat a decent frying pan, add some oil and butter or, even better, some duck or goose fat and butter, throw in your grated, squeezed and seasoned potato and press it down evenly and tidy it up around the edges. Give the pan the odd shake to stop it sticking and occasionally give the rosti a bit of a turn with your fingers (careful, steam can come up from underneath).
    After about 10 minutes on a medium heat place a plate over the pan and invert so the rosti drops onto the plate. Put more oil and butter into the pan and slide the rosti back into the pan to cook the other side for about 10 minutes too. Then do the plate trick again to serve.

Should be nice and golden brown on both sides.

Sorry if that's a bit longwinded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That is a pretty good way of doing rösti alright.

A mate of mine is a chef in a traditional Swiss restaurant & he advises baking the potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on size) first & then grating. This dries them out - similar to wringing out the excess liquid from raw grated potato.

I par-boil my spuds before grating & my röstis generally turn out OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

(apparently not an authentic rosti which is made with cooked potato) but for mine I just peel and grate potatoes (these were roosters) then put the grated potato in a clean cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as you can and season the potato with salt and pepper (you could put some fresh thyme in too if you like).
    Heat a decent frying pan, add some oil and butter or, even better, some duck or goose fat and butter, throw in your grated, squeezed and seasoned potato and press it down evenly and tidy it up around the edges. Give the pan the odd shake to stop it sticking and occasionally give the rosti a bit of a turn with your fingers (careful, steam can come up from underneath).
    After about 10 minutes on a medium heat place a plate over the pan and invert so the rosti drops onto the plate. Put more oil and butter into the pan and slide the rosti back into the pan to cook the other side for about 10 minutes too. Then do the plate trick again to serve.

Should be nice and golden brown on both sides.

Sorry if that's a bit longwinded.

Thanks Beer, am going to give this a whirl..
    sounds like a perfect recipe for my new tefal frying pan :-)
    thanks again.

Had a what felt like a full day in the kitchen yesterday. Made a huge bolognese with my daughter who at the age of 7 has decided she wants to learn to cook. Made chicken wings in sticky bbq sauce for the kids lunch. Made a brown chicken stock from more wings. Then made a big batch of Nigella's Chilli Jam, this time without assistance (7 year old fingers and chilli don't mix for fear of tears.) Cooked, cleaned and picked two brown crabs for baked crab. Also made mackerel in blankets which is a fancy name for a little half fillet of fresh mackerel rolled in a flattened crustless slice of bread and pan fried. Was lovely with some horseradish cream and a pile of leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Don't normally post here cause I'm not much of a cook but I'm so proud of what I made last night- mexican lasagna. Combining my love of mexican with my favourite food :)

Esentially same as lasnaga but you use tortillas instead of pasta (2 per layer), chilli and mozzarella. Served with cruchy salad and sour cream.
    Nom nom nom

Achari fish curry made with sea bream, tarka dhal, naan breads and rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Looks awesome !!
    If it helps, I posted a rösti recipe in The Cooking Club last year. Just leave out the bacon, onions, garlic & cheese & you have a bog-standard rösti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Very spicy chicken curry with wild and long grain rice

ChickenCurry.jpg

CCurry.jpg

Chicken and vegetable soup:
    Homemade chicken and pork stock, chicken, onion, celery, carrot, leek, potato, pearl barley. flat leaf parsley. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

DSC01154rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Chicken and vegetable soup:
    Homemade chicken and pork stock, chicken, onion, celery, carrot, leek, potato, pearl barley. flat leaf parsley. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Can I ask what part you use for the pork stock...the only pork bone I ever have is hock the odd time but not sure how many I would need. Read somewhere about using the feet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement