Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Spicy Chicken Fajitas, wedges and wine :)

fajitas-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cavatappi with prawns in garlic, anchovy and chilli with sprouting broccoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I've finally emerged from my food sulk. Had a bout of food poisoning over the weekend and was not a happy camper :(

Karen made this last week (before the unpleasantness). Lasagne with green salad and home-made focaccia.

The lasagne was lovely - it contained both mince and mini meatballs! :D

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12096

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Beef burger with cheese, onion and chorizo.

5fd7b978630f11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

tmc86 wrote: »
    Spicy Chicken Fajitas, wedges and wine :)

Did you cling to the ceiling to take that picture? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Twee. wrote: »

Wow! That is a monster of a burger. Hungry now.:o

reallyrose wrote: »
    Did you cling to the ceiling to take that picture? :eek:

Ha, that's our coffee table and I was standing up! I am quite tall though - birds eye view!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Salty roast pork crackling as an appetiser with Kriek. Forgot to get a pic before taking the crackling off the pork:mad:

Roast loin of pork - just done; pan roasted butternut squash, cumin and lemon juice; roasted garlic; Jerusalem artichoke, apple, beetroot slaw with olive oil and apple balsamic; York cabbage with lemon zest and white wine; onion, thyme and mustard pork jus.
    Sounds like too many flavours but it all worked - honest!

DSC01295rs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Salty roast pork crackling as an appetiser with Kriek. Forgot to get a pic before taking the crackling off the pork:mad:

Roast loin of pork - just done; pan roasted butternut squash, cumin and lemon juice; roasted garlic; Jerusalem artichoke, apple, beetroot slaw with olive oil and apple balsamic; York cabbage with lemon zest and white wine; onion, thyme and mustard pork jus.
    Sounds like too many flavours but it all worked - honest!

<mod snip>

wow, looks and sounds fabulous, well done, think that is Sunday lunch sorted, thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dear God that burger looks AMAZING!! Is it a homemade burger? If so recipe please:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

calistro wrote: »
    Last night for the 1st time I had kid goat burgers. Just class, so class in fact i brought more for lunch today and a few to share out. Thumbs up from all who tasted. Next up is slow roast leg of kid goat and also have some chops and shanks in the freezer. I'll be ordering the full animal next i think.

Where did you get the goat from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

pan roasted butternut squash, cumin and lemon juice; roasted garlic; Jerusalem artichoke, apple, beetroot slaw with olive oil and apple balsamic; York cabbage with lemon zest and white wine; onion, thyme and mustard pork jus.

That is a beautiful photograph - the colours are amazing!
    loadsofham wrote: »
    Where did you get the goat from

I love your username. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We had bit of a dinner made from leftovers....chilli with fried potatoes, salsa, jalapeños and sour creme. Was very tasty! :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12107

Cheese & Onion Burger with homemade chips (felt a bit guilty about the lack of veg but it was Thursday night :P)

chips.jpg

burger.jpg

Smoked ham and gruyere toasties with home-made white loaf. Roasted tomato soup, from a Gordon Ramsay recipe.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Dahl with spiced baby aubergines and aged basmati rice, fresh coriander.

Any chance of the recipe for this one trackguy?

leahyl wrote: »
    Dear God that burger looks AMAZING!! Is it a homemade burger? If so recipe please:D

Thanks! Homemade indeed, I usually just lob the ingredients in but I've tried some measurements here, seem accurate enough:

Half pound of round steak mince, salt, pepper, tsp dijon mustard, 1.5 tsp tomato puree, and chopped or dried parsley. Just mix altogether with your hands, form two patties and fry. I usually start off on a high heat each side then a lower heat to cook through. Add the onions and chopped chorizo near the end of the frying.

I am a chorizo fiend and love when the lovely fat mixes with the onions - delish!

Any chance of the recipe for this one trackguy?

You not only get my name wrong but use the name of my arch-rival.:mad::eek:
    Maybe Trackguy has a better recipe.

But I mustn't be myself and am willing to forgive.

I rarely use recipes but these are two that I keep referring to. I don't know why I don't do it by feel after making it so many times but I keep finding myself getting out the book when cooking these. Problem with that is it now means typing out recipes. Ah well, here goes.

These are from Camella Panjabi's 50 Great curries of India

Masoor Dal
    Uttar Pradesh Style

250 g pink masoor dal (I use red split or whole lentils)
    5 garlic cloves
    1 tsp salt
    200g red pumpkin (I usually use butternut squash), chopped
    1 Medium onion, chopped,
    3 small tomatoes, chopped
    1/2 thumb size piece of fresh ginger, chopped
    2-3 green chillies, chopped
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp red chilli powder
    juice of half a lime
    1 teaspoon of tamarind pulp (or tamarind extract - both available from Asian stores)
    1 tbs of butter, oil or ghee

Wash dal and soak for 30 mins

Chop garlic and put 2 of them aside til the end

Soak tamarind in half a cup of hot water

Bring 800ml of water to the boil. Add drained dal, return to boil and add all ingredients except last three and the reserved garlic. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes making sure it doesn't burn or stick to the pan.

Add tamarind extract or strained tamarind water and lime juice, boil for 2 minutes.

To serve heat oil or butter in a ladle and fry the reserved chopped garlic for one minute. Add to dal and serve with fresh chopped coriander.

Stuffed Baby Aubergines
    Masala Baingan

1 Tsp corriander powder
    1/4 Tsp cumin powder
    1/4 Tsp tumeric powder
    1/4 Tsp red chilli powder
    1/4 Tsp Amchoor (dried mango powder)
    1/4 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp sugar
    8 baby aubergines
    oil

Mix together spices and suger. Make slits in the aubergenes but don't cut all the way through. Stuff the spice mix into the slits.

Heat oil in pan and cook over a low heat, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes until tender.

I find that it is much easier to coat the aubergines in oil and put them in a pretty hot oven for about 30 mins.
    Also , double the spice amounts - if there is any left over it will keep well and is a very useful spice mix.

For both recipes, I use whole spices (as fresh as possible - don't buy huge bags in the Asian store hoping to save money. Unless you use a hell of a lot of spices it will be dull with no aroma when you use it) and grind as needed. This makes a huge difference.
    The dal recipe come out pretty hot so you might want to reduce the green chillies and chilli powder the first time to see how you like it. I also make double quantities of the dal as it freezes very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks! Homemade indeed, I usually just lob the ingredients in but I've tried some measurements here, seem accurate enough:

Half pound of round steak mince, salt, pepper, tsp dijon mustard, 1.5 tsp tomato puree, and chopped or dried parsley. Just mix altogether with your hands, form two patties and fry. I usually start off on a high heat each side then a lower heat to cook through. Add the onions and chopped chorizo near the end of the frying.

I am a chorizo fiend and love when the lovely fat mixes with the onions - delish!

Thanks a million! I hope they stay together though cos everytime I make burgers they fall apart in the pan:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Maybe Trackguy has a better recipe.

Oops :eek:

I see nice pictures on here and just think trackguy! Never even feckin' looked.

Sounds brilliant - Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dig up ;)

Would you like some lemon juice to add to the salt in the wound?:eek:

Oh... I see how it is.... ;)

I see nice pictures on here and just think trackguy!

I'm just quoting this so ppl can see it again :cool:

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks a million! I hope they stay together though cos everytime I make burgers they fall apart in the pan:(

The only time I've had burgers fall apart is when I put onion in the mix, and haven't chopped the onion finely enough. Now I just prefer to put it on top.

trackguy wrote: »
    Oh... I see how it is.... ;)

You know, I used to be somebody around here.
    Then this upstart came along and now it's "trackguy this" and "trackguy that" and "oooo come and cook in my house, trackguy", "are you married, trackguy?" and "beer who?"
    No doubt he's younger, fitter and better looking than me too.:(

I think I'll go and eat some worms now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

You know, I use to be somebody around here.
    Then this upstart came along and now it's "trackguy this" and "trackguy that" and "oooo come and cook in my house, trackguy", "are you married, trackguy?" and "beer who?"

You had Calde Verde one time so you are the best cook by a mile :P

CathyMoran wrote: »
    You had Calde Verde one time so you are the best cook by a mile :P

I did?
    I had to google calde verde.
    Maybe I just forgot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

You know, I use to be somebody around here.

Is this going to end up in a food fight? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

PMSL @ t_b_r & tg. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement