Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You know, I used to be somebody around here.

Always a contender in my book...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I fried lambs liver(medium rare) with rasher, onion and leek. Served with linguini and red pesto and some greenery on the side. Such a fine meal that reinforced my belief that liver is far superior to steak.

xdtcfm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled chicken thighs on the bone.
    Fried polenta cake.
    Grilled cherry tomatoes.
    Chinese leaves and shallot slightly pickled in salt and lemon juice with olive oil.
    Chickeny, lemoney, thymey, white winey jus.

No pics cause I'm sulking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

You know....

he's younger, fitter and better looking than me too.:(

If you say so :p

Last night was Peppered Mackerel with noodles. Here's a photo... you got to have a photo...

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12121

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

@ the beer revolu your pics always look so good! Keep them coming :D trackguy is getting way too big for his boots here!!... although I wont complain too much or he may stop making me his yummy grub! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

There's only one way to settle this, a cook-off between trackguy and tbr.

You can host it in my house. Because I'm nice like that. :pac:
    I've got a nice cooker and everything!

Tonight it was rack of lamb on braised lentils with spinach and a madeira sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Antipasti consisting of speck, salami, cheese, marinated olives, sun dried tomato pesto and homemade breads to start

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12126

Risotto Bianco with homemade basil pesto for main

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12127

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I <3 the Cooking & Recipes forum people :)

Tonight we had rib-eyes and chips. Not a vegetable in sight!

Minder wrote: »
    Tonight it was rack of lamb on braised lentils with spinach and a madeira sauce.

Minder could you share a recipe for your braised lentils? Apart from dhal and soup I don't know how to eat them.

I made some lentils last night from a Nevin Maguire recipe and although I think I prepared them properly, the flavours made me kind of ill. It involved being boiled til almost tender, then draining and adding vegetable stock and finely chopped carrot, and simmering for 10 minutes. Then the recipe called for stirring in some cooked smoked bacon, balsamic vinegar, muscovado sugar and tomato puree, plus seasonings, and at the last moment, chopped parsley. It looked great but tasted rank and I binned it. :(

• Advertisement

Had braised lentils again last night. This time with chicken. Fried jointed chicken pieces to get lots of colour (4 legs, 4 wings, 2 extra thighs). Take out chicken and add very finely diced onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook to soften. Add dried puy lentils (I gave then a rinse in cold water first) and some thyme and a couple of bay leaves. A glass of red wine and a couple of pints of chicken stock. Then the whole lot went in the oven at 140c for an hour and a half with a lid on. Apart from seasoning the chicken before frying, I only add salt at the end of cooking. This was enough to feed 5 adults. Works great with duck legs.

The braised lentils was really simple and satisfying. Perfect yesterday as we also catered for my daughters 8th birthday. 15 kids around for burgers and pizza. So yesterday was full day of cooking and baking. Made blueberry muffins, chocolate and cola cake, cheese straws, raspberry marshmallows, chicken goujons with panko breadcrumbs, fairy cakes and a batch of little sweets that were made from freeze dried corn in melted white chocolate with popping candy sprinkled on top. Then there was all the carrot batons and extras for the burgers which the little darlings largely ignored. It seems 8 yo's only want burger, ketchup, bun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Friday night - made a mess of some nice steak. Whatever was going on with me I overcooked the lot so wont go into the details but while edible was not one of my better moments......

Last night did rack of lamb with a mustard, breadcrumb and herb crust served with baby spuds and honeyed parsnip batons. Significantly better than the previous nights effort

No pics so use yiz imagination!

Was at a friends place for dinner last night.

Homemade bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as an appetiser with some dry sherry.

Red pepper and tomato soup.

Stuffed loin of lamb (rich fruity, slightly spiced stuffing), roast butternut squash and wilted spinnach. Double jus.

Treacle tart with homemade spiced icecream.

Cheese.

Fantastic.

I'm very lucky in that not only can Mrs beer cook really well but the vast majority of my friends cook very well too.
    Seems kind of pointless eating in restaurants sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Roast Pork with honey & mustard, rosemary roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds (didn't rise properly must work on that) mixed veg and gravy, with a side of Rugby! :P

195198.JPG

195199.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Was back home for the weekend so I had access to a lot more ingredients and foods!

Saturday night went out for dinner so I made a Goats Cheese & Walnut salad with rocket and baby spinach, dressed with Maple Syrup for a late lunch.

goatscheesesalad.jpg

For Sunday lunch my mum and I made Jamie Oliver's sticky sesame chicken with spicy noodles from his 30minute meals cookbook.

chickennoodles.jpg

chicken.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Saturday's I usually do an indian curry of some sort, however, this weekend I really fancied something simple like chicken & chips. Mrs Billy still wanted a curry & the boys fancied a roast chicken dinner.

What I ended up doing was mixing 2 tbsp of balti paste with the juice of half a lemon & using this as a wet-rub for the roast chicken.

I made 2 other rubs - garam masala & hot chili powder for the chips (drizzled in oil & roasted) & cumin, coriander, mustard seed & oil for chunks of butternut squash (also roasted). Everybody happy & clean plates all round!

Last night I made homemade burgers (mince, parsley thyme, sweated onion & an egg) & served with mashed spuds & turnip. (Yours truly also had a scallion & tomato gravy on his.) Again - plates licked clean. I love cooking for my family. :)

Again - plates licked clean. I love cooking for my family. :)

I'd suggest that your kids are good eaters because they eat the same food as the adults at the same time.

I see so many people feeding their kids different food to themselves at a different time and then wonder why their kids are fussy eaters.

Although, having said that, we always ate as a family but I was an infuriatingly fussy eater until I was about 17. (At least I finally grew out of it:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Had a friend over for dinner last night who informed me she was dieting. Cue mild panic as most of my dinner party food is not exactly low calorie.

For starters we had nibbles of roasted tomato, chili and garlic salsa with (secretly) panfried pitta triangles.

Mains was a warm salad of pancetta, gorgonzola and caramelised pears with sticky honey, balsamic and pine nut dressing. It's a Lorraine Pascale recipe and it was really good. Served with homemade crusty bread fresh from the oven.

Deessert was key lime pie, washed down with copious amounts of wine. Not sure if any of it was particularly diet friendly but it was delicious. :D

Spag Bol with wholemeal spaghetti.
    (I think I've finally settled on a definitive Bolognese recipe)

DSC01296rs.jpg

Followed by a salad of rocket, water cress, wild garlic leaf (all from garden:D) and lettuce (from the shop:() with homemade salad dressing (not pictured).

DSC01297rs.jpg

Sunday's dinner was Tandoori chicken with lemon rice, mango chutney and tomato and cucumber raita

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12135

Sunday's evening snack was buffalo wings. My best effort at recreating so far. Used Alton Brown's method of steaming the wings first before drying on a rack in the fridge for an hour. Roast them for 30/40 minutes in a hot oven then to crisp them up. I used sauce I bought in James Whelan Butchers which was incredibly hot! :eek:

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lasagne___20120304.jpg
    Lasagne_Slice___20120304.jpg

Chicken Lasagne from the Cooking Club. Really REALLY good recipe. Had it for dinner Sunday, lunch Monday and lunch again today. I would eat it again tonight but I have too much veg to eat before I go away for a few days.

We had falafel, with hummus, tzatziki, pitta, mixed leaves, a home-made salsa of onion, tomato and coriander, cucumber and piquante peppers. Tasty, but maybe more of a summer dish. It was so cold today I could have done with a nice stew or something.

Stuffed Steak, mash, maple-glazed carrots and parsnips, red wine sauce, horseradish.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12149

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

Tonight was Carribean chicken with baby potatoes, pineapple and banana slices! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

neuro-praxis Pork Char Sui from this thread. Tasty stuff!

195596.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

NY Burger with wedges, paprika roasted peppers and hot sauce mayo

NYburger.jpg

Slow roast pork hocks, mustard mash spuds, pork juice york cabbage, pork gravy.
    Too hungry to take pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

First time posting here!! Love this thread though, have been reading it for ages!

I had to use up stuff in the fridge so this is what I came up with, salmon baked with Thai red curry paste, basmati with oven roasted tomatoes, and a rocket, spring onion, and grated carrot/celery salad with balsamic dressing. I mixed the rice in with the salad and it was very tasty!

Red curry salmon.jpg

Pork Chops stuffed with apricot, prosciutto, sage butter. Roasted on bad of potato and smoked bacon, from a Jamie Oliver recipe. Served with asparagus with balsamic dressing.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12186

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Am up in Sligo again visiting relatives, went to Davis'/ Yeats again with Dad and Granny, had the rib eye steak which came with onion rings (I dont like them so I didnt eat them), mushrooms and garlic potatoes. It was lovely as always, am going to be doubly spoiled because tomorrow evening I'm being brought there again by the other grandparents! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement