Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I am still eating lamb. Last night was lamb loin chops - the last word in deliciousness. The bees knees in tastiness. The goats toe in meltinmouthiness.

With that were baby news (equal ammount of butter) and marrowfat peas. I am very suspect of carrots atm. I read an article where it said they can turn you orange if you eat too many. They are one of my fav vegs and I get through at least a kilo a week. I was asking my brothers if they thought I was more orange than them. The replies were less then helpful so I wont repeat them.

Tomorrow I am taking a lamb break before I break out the 2 legs on Sunday. I have turkey mince in the freezer but Im not overjoyed at the prospect of using it. Any suggestions? I would find any bolognaisey recipe to be vile as it would be slurpy turkey in my head and I dont like that. Something solid. I was thinking thai green turkey burgers?

For anyone who likes scallops, Lidl on PArnell Street (Dublin) have them atm - in parsley & garlic butter. When I was in, there were a load of Italian fighting each other for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Wednesday evening we had Beef Stroganoff with rice and dauphinoise potatoes (pic is a bit dark!)

beefstrog.jpg

Last night we had home made beef burgers with home made chips and coleslaw. I only made this recently but it was a special occasion last night :p

beefburger.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had this last night (thanks Minder:D).
    Twas really delicious !!
    The only tweak/change I made was that I added a little orange zest to it.
    There are a lot of ingredients in it but is is very quick and easy to prepare.
    Defo making this again.

DSC01367rs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

made dinner the other day for my mum

i made paella which i forgot to take a pic of!
    garlic mushrooms and scampi and a side salad
    small little lemon pots for desert with some short bread biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

IMAG017582909954.jpg
    I had carbanora, can't have cream so made the sauce with just egg and parmasan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Have a stew on the hob of Lamb, carrots, leek, onion, turnip.
    Using O'Hara's Leann Follain as the cooking liquid with a little beed stock.

Threw in some fresh thyme too, for kicks.

Going to have it with some nice brown bread :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A "what's in the freezer" dinner. Chicken goujans in a wrap with edam, and then I found ONE potato so that got mashed. We really need to do some good shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

For the morning after the night before........

Watched the first episode of Little Paris Kitchen on Beeb 2 last week and she made Croque Madame Muffins. A search on the web brought up zero recipes so here's our first attempt. :)

croquemadame.JPG

I stole the pic from another website as we'd eaten all ours before I could get the camera down! She used ramakins but we used a muffin tray. One will not be enough so I've doubled up to make two each ;).

Serves 4

8 Slices of white bread - crusts removed.
    8 Eggs
    4 Slices of ham shredded (some cooked sausage cut up would also be good)
    Butter
    Gruyere Cheese - grated
    Plain Flour
    Milk
    Dijon Mustard
    Salt & Pepper
    Chives to garnish

With a rolling pin flatten each slice of bread and butter both sides. Push each slice into a muffin tin to form a cup.

Put some of the shredded ham or sausage into the bottom of each cup. Next break an egg and put the yolk but only some of the white into each cup (You won't have room for a whole egg). This was a little bit tricky and we ended up breaking the egg into a cup and then spooning the yolk out.

Then we made a bechamel sauce - melting butter, adding flour, then milk to form a thick sauce. A small dollop of dijon mustard would be good here but optional. Salt and pepper to taste.

Put a desert spoon of bechamel sauce on top of each egg yolk and cover with grated cheese (gruyere is definately the best cheese to use for this).

Put the muffin tray into a pre-heated oven (180C) for five minutes for runny egg or longer for harder.

Carefully remove from ramakin or muffin tin onto a plate and garnish with chives.

A delicious light breakfast - enjoy.

If your kids are like ours and hate yolks, they will love these with the egg beaten as opposed to separated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had teryaki salmon, with rice and a stir-fry of mange-tout, carrot and broccoli. It was delicious, but I cooked the salmon on my cast iron pan, and when I added the teryaki glaze, it burnt really fast. Although the fish was fine (it was the glaze burning, not the fish) the house now stinks of fried fish. Bleurgh.

Today we ate out twice. We had a late breakfast in Elephant & Castle in Temple Bar. I had Eggs Idaho, which is two fried eggs, grilled baby plum tomatoes, potato cakes and sausage.

For a late lunch/early dinner we tried Crackbird, the Dublin pop-up chicken restaurant. There's been a lot of hype around this restaurant, overwhelmingly positive hype, and I was expecting uber-stylish but snooty staff, large jam-jar glasses of delicious home-made lemonade and mountains of super tasty chicken. Not so. The staff were disappointingly friendly, and the food was disappointingly average. The lemonade did indeed come in large jam jars, but it was lacking in flavour, what with it being 95% water. Most of the drinks, at €2.95 a pop, were a squeeze of juice topped up with lukewarm water. I noted also with disappointment that the chicken comes from Cootehill farms, which as far as I can see, is a battery farm. Disappointment. :( The prices were ok, with our bill coming in at €16 a head, with each person getting one main, one side and one drink. The sides were big enough to share, but not nice enough to demolish. We left over half of our slaw and potato salad.

We bought a nice loaf of garlic and rosemary bread in the food market though, of which we will enjoy a slice, with a bowl of vegetable soup for supper later tonight.

No pics because I am rubbish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Steak and salad with chimmichurri sauce

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12284

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Have started pestering my local butcher, with good results.

During the week there was:

Chicken curry, with a sweet potato and brocolli side and a simple dhal to go with it.

Roast rib of beef on the bone, with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, and a roast mix of parsnips, carrots and sweet potato, along with steamed green beens. The beef rib I coated in flour and mustard powder and sealed on all sides in the roasting tin, using beef dripping. Then I removed it from the tin, and added about eight small halved onions, four carrots in chunks and a whole head of garlic split into cloves, along with about half a bottle of red wine. I returned the beef to the pan, laid it on that, and roasted it medium.

When the wine cooked off the roasting tin I added about a pint of beef stock to the tin.

The upshot was, when the beef came out of the oven and was let rest for a half an hour, I put in yorkshire pudding batter, and then spent 20 minutes making what was THE most incredible gravy out of that roasting tin. It was so good, with the yorkies, that I'm not ashamed to say the following evening I made more yorkshire puds to go with the gravy and for lunch on day three I actually had just yorkshire puds with the end of that gravy!

Picked up a pork belly yesterday from same butcher and had roast pork belly last night. I roasted it in a dish by sitting it on four halved apples and four halved onions, and similarly added about 1/3 bottle of white wine to the dish. The finished result was pork belly with crispy crackling, served with plain white rice and stir-fried bok choi with ginger and garlic, and a baked apple with a baked onion on the side of the dish. Worked nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Pan fried chicken with mango salsa from a Rachel Allen recipe with a chorizo and potato hash

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We had our first BBQ of the season last night. Burgers & bangers for Mrs Billy & My Boys (heathens - that's all they want off the grill). Marinaded lamb chops for me. All served with homemade spicy wedges (cumin, coriander & paprika) & leafy salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Corned Beef, cabbage, mash, parsley sauce and mustard. It didn't exactly suit the weather but it was tasty nonetheless!

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12289

Mmm, so many lovely things here.

We had spaghetti and meatballs last night. We were heading out for the day, so I lobbed an onion, a pepper, some mushrooms, 1kg chopped tomatoes, 5 crushed cloves of garlic, some chopped chilli, mixed green herbs, salt, pepper, sugar, oxo cube, Worcestershire sauce and 12 raw Aldi beef meatballs into the slow cooker. We returned home to tender cooked meatballs in a rich, thick and spicy tomato sauce - perfect for a cool evening after a day in the sun. Leftovers for lunch today. Spacktackler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried medalloins of monkfish with Thai fragrant white rice, wilted spinach (leaf beet, really) and a ginger, lime and mint (amongst other things) salsa.
    Fierce tasty:D and all done in half an hour!

DSC01385rs.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made a tomato sauce and cooked chicken thighs in it for over an hour. Removed the chicken and stripped it, and added it back into the sauce with some petit pois and spinach. Half cooked some rigatoni and made the whole lot into a pasta bake. It tasted okay, but was really missing a good lash of cheese.

Hot and Sour Pork and Prawn Noodles with beansprouts, mushrooms, coriander, chilli and garlic

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12309

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Very un-Indian meal this evening; homemade chickpea burgers, potato salad and baked beans. Baked beans! Tastes like home; not a chilli in sight :D

IMG_3425.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Angus beef burger with spicy salsa, jalapenos, red onion, gherkins and mustard.

B0C59108-orig.jpg

• Advertisement

Bacon and mushroom omelet this evening - absolutely scrumptious. Being starving helped! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Last night was an omlette in my house too. A la leftovers.

Was also planting Gladoli in the garden and wondered about eating flowers. Does anyone know anything about this? I have a rosemary bush in the front garden that services most of the streets needs - its gouged by someone or other every Sunday and I have a lavendar bush which I use in rice puddings with blackberries and dessert dishes like that. I know I probably have carrots the size of cars from where I dropped a package of seeds 3 years ago, but other than that, I have nothing edible - to my knowledge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

toad in the hole (sausages, batter, onions and mushrooms) with the last of the Brussels sprouts and gravy.

toadinthehole2.jpg

p.s. Slunk - that look fabulous! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made the most gorgeous tomato sauce for pasta tonight! Yum yum! So much better than anything you'd get in a jar! Wouldn't be hard I suppose!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Picked up a pork belly yesterday from same butcher and had roast pork belly last night. I roasted it in a dish by sitting it on four halved apples and four halved onions, and similarly added about 1/3 bottle of white wine to the dish. The finished result was pork belly with crispy crackling, served with plain white rice and stir-fried bok choi with ginger and garlic, and a baked apple with a baked onion on the side of the dish. Worked nicely.

Did you use a spice rub or anything on the belly?

We had our first bbq of the season tonight. In March! Win. :pac:

We went for absolute boring standard fare - sausages, burgers, marinated veggie kebabs, salad, roast new spuds and lots and lots of toppings like fried onions, cheese, relish, mustard, gherkins...all the good stuff. Millionaires shortbread cake for dessert, followed by the cheeseboard. And probably one or two beers too many for a school night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Millionaires shortbread cake

Homemade? Superquinn were doing one at Christmas which was amazing, would like to give one a try myself.

Homemade? Superquinn were doing one at Christmas which was amazing, would like to give one a try myself.

Not at all! It was a Tesco's finest. :) It had a shortcake base, then caramel, and then a very rich dark chocolate fudgey topping, then chocolate shavings. It was nice, but I'm not really a dessert person, least of all a shop-bought dessert person.

Faith did a very good millionaire's shortbread recipe in the cooking club which I've made a few times. You could adapt that for a cake-type version.

Karen made Teriyaki chicken last night. Very tasty

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12334

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

It was my g/f's birthday yesterday so we went out for dinner (and had Pad Thai) so here is a picture of the cake I made which we had at home!

It's Heston's Exploding Chocolate Cake from his CH4 show. It was easy enough to make but the cake ring I had was larger so the topping is a lot flatter. It has popping candy in the shortbread biscuit base which is probably the best part of it!

explodingcake.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement