Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Celticfire wrote:
    Homemade pizza with pepperoni,mushrooms,onion,red peppers and an egg a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a drizzle of chili oil..... YUM
    oooh yea isn't egg on pizza just yummy?? most people think I'm strange when I say it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Celticfire wrote:
    Homemade pizza with pepperoni,mushrooms,onion,red peppers and an egg a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a drizzle of chili oil..... YUM

Do you make our own dough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

nipplenuts wrote:
    Do you make our own dough?

I make my own dough and pizza sauce.........
    oooh yea isn't egg on pizza just yummy?? most people think I'm strange when I say it..

it has to be just right, the yoke must be a little runny.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i had a baked potato, salmon and vegetables! pretty boring!

Celticfire wrote:
    I make my own dough and pizza sauce.

Cool! Do you use honey in the dough?

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote:
    Cool! Do you use honey in the dough?

Have to say I've never heard of honey in the dough. Is it used instead of sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

5unflower wrote:
    SAT: vegetable tarte (one half broccoli & ham, other half peppers, onions, courgette)

Ham is a vegatable now? Way cool ;)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

For tonight's dinner, I had spaghetti w. homemade basil pesto, a salad (lettuce, tomato, mozarella, cucumber) w. olive oil & balsamic vinegar, and a chunk of bread to mop up the leftover sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I worked late last night so I missed Mrs Billy's healthy home-cooked offering of grilled chicken & steamed veg.

I had a kebab from Macari's in Skerries. Do not - I repeat - Do not make the same mistake I did. It was shìte. And now I have them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

mmmmm...everything sounds so tasty.

Last night, I had thai chicken stirfry with chicken rice (rice cooked with chicken stock instead of salty water)

Bonkey - Whats the stuff gyros that you marinade your pork chops with? Is it like the greek gyros? Would like to try something to spice up tonights offering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

bonkey wrote:
    Pork chops marinaded in gyros, a baked potato w. a wild garlic yoghurt dressing, and a side-salad of rocket, iceberg, cucumber, carrot and purple carrot (with freshly-made salad dressing, of course)

What's gyros ????

(Nobody mention the dole)

• Advertisement

Minder wrote:
    What's gyros ????

Now that you mention it, thats a very good question.

Correctly, its a Greek dish, as Country-bumpkin suggested

In Switzerland and Germany (that I know of) you can get a spice mix marketed under the same name which gives you a taste reminiscent of how a gyros would be spiced.

We use it as a lazy way of spicing for anything like pork chops, chicken-wings, etc. that will either be done in the griddle-pan or on the BBQ. Normally, I prefer sourcing the base spices and making my own mix, but this is one of the few that we (so far) buy pre-made.

Its only when I saw these last two posts that it occurred to me that I've never seen this in Ireland. (I should mention that I live in Switzerland.)

You might be able to find it in Aldi or Lidl now that I think of it. I think one of the mixes we have is from Aldi (I'm not sure cause it was brought to us by a German friend who insisted his supermarket-mix was better than our supermarket-mix) and there's also a souvlaki mix in the same range which is also quite good.

Tonight I had dinner at a mate's house.

Twas Spaghetti with a rather tasty and spicy "stir-fry" of merguez, mushrooms, baby tomatoes, and some other bits, served with a side-order of a ciabatta-style bread with pumpkin seeds in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bonkey, can you post the list of ingredients off your gyros mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had to skip dinner last night (no solids at all yesterday) because I was still ill after the kebab the night before. :mad:

Celticfire wrote:
    Have to say I've never heard of honey in the dough. Is it used instead of sugar?

Yes. It's (apparently) the Napoletan habit to use honey, and I use it in my dough. Try it, it's good!

Thanks Bonkey, will try Lidl/Aldi...I must admit I am very very partial to Gyros (the traditional greek one served with tzatsiki, chips, onion, paprika & tomato) and often try to creat my own spice mix....its always missing that certain something though!

I'll see what the ingredients are when I go home.

Last night I had Seared Swordfish (on special in Tesco if you're interested) roasted veg and garlic & cheese potatoes! Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Last night: risotto courgette and rosemary cake with tomato sauce. The yummiest thing ever. The name does not do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

nipplenuts wrote:
    Yes. It's (apparently) the Napoletan habit to use honey, and I use it in my dough. Try it, it's good!
    Please enlighten me, I have never used either suger or honey in my pizza dough. Tepid water, yeast and olive oil. tell me about the suger/honey bit, will be making them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    I'll see what the ingredients are when I go home.
    Oops.

I forgot.

Last night, we were late home, so settled for pre-made pizza, doctored to our own tastes.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Please enlighten me, I have never used either suger or honey in my pizza dough. Tepid water, yeast and olive oil. tell me about the suger/honey bit, will be making them tomorrow.

I use 4 tablespoons of honey per kilo of flour. It gives the dough a nice flavour and I think it help it to brown better too. I think you could use almost as much honey as you wish....

I always put something sweet in (used to use a teaspoon of sugar) to help the yeast along, leave it somewhere warm for a couple of hours, punch it down and leave it again to rise. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days if the fridge is cold cold.

I had myself a coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Asiaprod, there's an excellent pizza recipe here, adapted from Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice", someone who actually wrote another book in search of the perfect pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks for the help, I never would have thought of adding honey. Great recipe link, thanks Magic Monkey.
    Any interest here in Japanese recipes? I can get Mrs Asiaprod to write a few down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night I had:

Salmon fillet, steamed potatoes and broccoli. Simple but very tasty.

EDIT: I'm interested, I could do with expanding my Japanese recipes beyond beef teriyaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Asiaprod wrote:
    Any interest here in Japanese recipes? I can get Mrs Asiaprod to write a few down.

Yeah, I'm always interested in something new! As long as it doesn't have pickled plums in it.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Definitely, specially if they're the real deal.

For dinner last night, I had a stir-fry of rice chicken, mangetout, onions and cherry tomatoes, flavoured with 5-spice, the juice of half a lime, 2 chillis and a generous dash of soy.

And I forgot to look at the damned gyeos ingredients again.

Last night: Thai red curry with chicken, mushrooms, peppers and pak choi with brown rice, yummy.

• Advertisement

KFC Wicked Zinger meal. Fantastic carry on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement