Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had a savage salad last night.

Goat's Cheese baked in golden bread crumbs with lardons and pine nuts. Made by herself, all ready to eat when I got in from work.

Salad___20120329.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Pork Chop with colcannon and a cider-mustard sauce.

Took the rind off the pork chop and roasted it in the oven seperately to get it nice and crispy. The sauce was just a can of cider reduced by 2/3's with some butter and dijon mustard whisked into it.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Tagiatelle in creamy mascarpone & garlic sauce with mushrooms, spinach and plenty of parmesan
    0E623124-orig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Not at all! It was a Tesco's finest. :) It had a shortcake base, then caramel, and then a very rich dark chocolate fudgey topping, then chocolate shavings. It was nice, but I'm not really a dessert person, least of all a shop-bought dessert person.

Funnyily enough after reading this I saw that cake in the recession fridge in Tesco marked down to 69c! I now have 3 in the freezer for next time I've people over :)

I made to taquitos last night for the OH and he loved them, served with salad and sour cream and salsa.
    http://www.oldelpaso.co.uk/mexican-recipes/Chorizo-taquitos.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tonight was another lets see what's in the fridge dinner. I ended up having stir-fried veg cooked in soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chilli flakes, garlic, cumin and coriander with rice pilaf. It wasn't the prettiest looking, but it was quick and tasty. Could have done with some sort of meat or something in it, but I wasn't bothered going to the shop.

4C1FA5751A4C4379813E0412319097ED-0000316660-0002797361-00500L-A8E85F5896F54A4AADFB09F5033A50E2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

tmc86 wrote: »
    It was my g/f's birthday yesterday so we went out for dinner (and had Pad Thai) so here is a picture of the cake I made which we had at home!

It's Heston's Exploding Chocolate Cake from his CH4 show. It was easy enough to make but the cake ring I had was larger so the topping is a lot flatter. It has popping candy in the shortbread biscuit base which is probably the best part of it!

<pic snipped>

Looks great. Where did you get the popping candy?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BBQ'd some Chicken thighs that wer rubbed down with a smoked garlic and pepper rub and some hot sauce with corn on the cob and some oven chips. It was very good!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup from the Cooking Club. Delish as always!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Curry cookathon about to begin.

On the menu:

Lamb rogan josh (mild to medium heat, rich)
    Chicken & spinach curry (mild, finished with cream)
    Chicken and chick pea curry (spicy)
    Cauliflower and sweet potato curry (a dry curry with spices)
    Red lentil dhal (mild but with some chopped chili)

Naan breads

Saffron rice

...see you in a few hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs. Beer did dinner last night.
    Pork pieces, floured and quickly fried with salt, pepper and allspice, stock added and reduced. Sort of pilaf flavoured with bay leaves, onion, allspice and some stock. Wilted spinach (leaf beet).
    Damned tasty, simple Middle Eastern flavours.

DSC01386rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Slow roasted pulled pork with mustard, chilli, paprika, and lots of other spices! Boyfriend made it, he also made spicy coleslaw and homemade Memphis style bbq sauce. Bought JD bbq sauce in case we wanted the sticky gooey variety too but the homemade one is much tastier.

Delish!

7032920917_3706880d66.jpg

6886829256_2ffc342dcc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Last night we had popidoms to start with various dips.
    For the main we had a lamb curry made with the neck. A really cheep meal. Neck of lamb was about €4 a kelo. Stewed it for about 2 hours the day before. Always find that spicy stews taste better after a day or 2 marinating.
    With the lamb curry we had spicey couscous. Some think that couscous can be a bit bland, and I would agree. But try spicing it up and I don't think you will be disapointed.
    And of course it was all washed down with some nice red wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Very simple meal of spagetti in tomato sauce with some veggies. No tinned tomatoes here so I blanched, peeled and chopped a load of fresh tomatoes and it tasted great. My apartment smells like thyme and basil :)

IMG_3434.jpg

Tonight had pan fried massive free range pork chops (just cooked through) with a coriander dressing, sautéed potato cubes, rice pilaf (from the other night) and wilted sea spinach (foraged from the beach today) - a vaguely Portuguese styled meal.
    pork.jpg

As it was so good the last time and we have quite a bit of monkfish in the freezer, last night we repeated last weeks dinner of fried monkfish medallions with a lime and ginger salsa - only changes were that we had brown rice and kale rather than spinach (spinach was better with the fish).
    monk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We had a lovely meal out last night with the Dine In Dublin menu in The Exchequer Gastropub :)
    Rare beef salad to start
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12372

Beer battered Ling fingers with pea puree and chips for main
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12371

Then lemon syrup cake to finish
    picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12370

It was all delicious :D and great value with all three courses for just 20euro! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night some of my Ukrainian & Russian friends threw a BBQ down by the river Aare here in Bern. The city authorities provide basic grilling facilities along the river footpaths & there are also stocks of free timber for your fire. Super or what!?

Anyway, back to the grub...
    I was treated to wonderful lamb kebabs that had been marinated in sour cream, onions, cumin & paprika. Then there were pork chops with roasted apples. All accompanied by baked spuds either filled with cheese or salted pork fat, & grilled peppers & aubergines.

Washed down with plenty of wine while the sun set over the Alps. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chicken tikka massala, pilau rice, naan bread, onion bhajis, bombay aloo, poppadoms.

So very bad but so very good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

First time posting here. Last night I had vodka penne for my dinner, quick but delicious :D542985_3658957429515_1142035647_33626118_1997506910_n.jpg?dl=1

First time posting here. Last night I had vodka penne for my dinner, quick but delicious :D

Been meaning to make that for a while - looks delish!

As above ^^ myself and Karen were in Exchequer Bar the other night as part of 'Dine In Dublin.'

I had the foie gras parfait with spiced apple chutney
    picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12373

followed by braised beef cheeks with champ, spinach and marsala sauce

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12374

and chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet for dessert

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12375

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

the beer revolu, can I come round to your house for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

pork chops (just cooked through) with a coriander dressing,

Can you send or post the coriander dressing receipe.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

ooh would love the recipe for that hairycopper, have been wanting to try it out for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Roast rack of lamb, creamed spinch, roast shallots and Rosemary Roast potatoes.

jimfinoc wrote: »
    pork chops (just cooked through) with a coriander dressing,

Can you send or post the coriander dressing receipe.
    Thanks

It's just finely chopped fresh coriander, a small chopped clove of garlic,a good glug of your best olive oil, small drop of apple balsamic (plain balsamic would be fine), a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt and pepper.

Optional extras would be some very finely chopped shallot, a little whole grain mustard, lemon zest, fresh ground coriander seed.

mimihops wrote: »
    ooh would love the recipe for that hairycopper, have been wanting to try it out for a while now.

Serves 2

350g penne pasta
    200ml cream
    1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
    4 tbsp vodka 
    3 tbsp tomato puree
    35g butter
    salt and pepper

Cook pasta as normal
    Melt butter in pan. Add tomato puree and parsley and season.*
    Mix together on low heat for five minutes.
    Add cream then add your vodka, simmer on a low heat for 5 mins until the alcohol has burned off and thickened.
    Drain pasta and stir into your sauce.

Enjoy!

*you could add cooked ham when the parsley and tomato puree is added. I tend not to most of the time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Home made Quiche (cold) as found on the Cooking club.

Roast duck with spuds roasted in the duck fat. Served it with braised red cabbage, carrot & parsnip puree and gravy made from the giblets.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12385

Brown rice with red onion and yellow peppers with lemon and sage roasted salmon. Also had tendersteam broccoli and sugar snap pes but forgot to get a picture of them 552578_3662702403137_1142035647_33627791_267364056_n.jpg?dl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mixed leaf salad with boiled baby potatoes and fried pancetta. Balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing. Quick, easy and tasty.

Salad___20120402.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement