Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had melon and grapes to snack on, as well as some nachos and home-made salsa, while waiting for our main course. The main was a killer chilli con carne slow-cooked for eight hours, then allowed to rest overnight and eventually reheated. Unbelievably rich and melting. Accompaniments were rice, scallions, tomatoes, sweetcorn, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos and corn tortillas. Dessert was Venetian almond carrot cake and bread and butter pudding with custard and cream. The six of us also drank our way through a crate of Tsingtao beer. Very satisfying evening altogether. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bacon and Cauliflower cheese with spuds

BaconwithCalifowercheeseandspudsjpg2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

slowcooking hungarian goulash, we will have that in a few hours with rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Deboned lag of lamb marinated in onion and tomato, cooked sous vide and finished on the bbq; applewood smoked panisses and a tomato coconut jus.

• Advertisement

Ate with the sister in law and her clan. She provided a really beautiful soup that was visually striking (I wish I had taken a photo now). One half of the bowl was a rich tomato and basil soup, and the other was a bright roasted yellow pepper soup. It looked like this, only more appetising.

webHFZ.jpg

The main course was a beautiful slow roasted leg of lamb with carrots and roasted parsnips, plus potato dauphinoise and roasties, with a redcurrant gravy. Dessert was orange chocolate brûlée and passion fruit pavlova. A triumph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was gifted a slab of striplion steak yesterday. It was beautifully aged. Can't beat it, cut whatever size you want. I cooked the steaks the only way steak should be cooked, over hot coals.

We had them with roast potatoes, fried onions & mushroons and pepper sauce. Absolute heaven.

767b8ab3.jpg

e3957f01.jpg

I was gifted a slab of striplion steak yesterday. It was beautifully aged. Can't beat it, cut whatever size you want. I cooked the steaks the only way steak should be cooked, over hot coals.

Wowee what a stunning bit of meat. Yowzers. I just had a huge dinner and that makes my mouth water!

Starter: Crostini with mozzarella, chillis, peppers and/or courgette.

Main: Sparks' Chilli with bread, rocket, sour cream etc. Very tasty. Loads left. Used this amount of meat cooking from 10:30am this morning:
    548727_10150790871069048_523199047_11575708_317493574_n_thumb.jpg

Dessert: Loads of chocolate, but the main dessert was the following:
    553954_10150792102584048_523199047_11583076_213309610_n_thumb.jpg

Plant pot (cleaned obviously), with a sponge bottom, then a mint ice-cream middle, topped by broken oreos and a straw flower.

...and lots and lots of chocolate, separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo_W

IMG_20120405_214105.jpg

Homemade gourmet burgers with Feta, Lettuce, Tomato and Toasted Pinenuts, served with roast potato and sweet potato chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo_W

IMG_20120408_221029.jpg

Haagen Daas Vanilla Ice Cream with lightly stewed fresh strawberries in a raspberry jam syrup with champagne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had the clan around for Sunday lunch

Started with Scallops black pudding (Clonakilty), rocket and pear.

Went for a highly controversial and unusual main of Roast Leg Lamb, roast spuds, carrots (julienne) and broccoli (boiled for a few mins and tossed in lemon olive oil). Did the latest trick with the spuds of par boiling, cooling, roasting for 20mins, cooling and then roasting for another 20. Did the trick as they were crispy outside and soft inside

All went down well

Curries - tandoori poussins; an aubergine curry with fennel seeds, cumin and tomato; red and yellow dhal with deep fried onions and garlic; parathas made on a skillet; poppadums; raita with mint; chutneys ana salad of red onions and tomato with fresh coriander. All washed down with a few beers.

Chicken and ham pie

2db437q.jpg

Yum!

2hgrbz6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Chicken and ham pie

Wow looks amazing! Care to part with the recipe? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Easter Nests, based on this recipe but with Lindt eggs instead of Mini Eggs and added an orange reduction and orange zest to the chocolate.

Easter_Nests___20120407.jpg

leahyl wrote: »
    Wow looks amazing! Care to part with the recipe? :-)

Sure. It's nothing special, although it does taste great. Recipe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Chicken skewers, marinaded in garlic, soy and kecap manis, served a with spicy peanut sauce and a crunchy vegetable and soba noodle salad.

picture.php?albumid=1830&pictureid=12488

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Saturday was butterfly cajun-ish grilled chicken with steamed broccoli and roast potatoes 405062_3716203940642_1142035647_33655455_2097110627_n.jpg?dl=1

Never liked pork until recently so Sunday I made my first roast pork loin with Yorkishire puddings, roasted carrots and broccoli 556256_3716173499881_1142035647_33655442_1599289267_n.jpg?dl=1533888_3716174979918_1142035647_33655444_220727067_n.jpg?dl=1

Monday was carbonara tagliatelle from the recipe club!389200_3716168939767_1142035647_33655441_753395299_n.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Dinner on Sunday was roast forerib of beef with mash, roasted carrot and parsnip, yorkshire pudding, red wine gravy and homemade bearnaise.

Must get some bigger plates!

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12496

• Advertisement

We had salmon teryaki soba tonight with carrots, broccoli, scallions and Chinese leaf. I used a new brand of soba noodles and they were pure slime. Dinner a washout. Filling up on the husband's cherry chocolate banana bread and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Fillet steak & garlic spuds with pepper sauce, mushrooms, onions & peppers and some roasted sweet potatoes on the side for good luck!
    Nice scram for a wednesday.

6a86d6b9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yesterday was my first attempt at beer can chicken. I rubbed it down with some oil and a pack of nandos dry rub added a little onion and garlic into a can half full of my own homebrewed brown porter and then cooked it for about 2 hours over an indirect heat on the BBQ along with the baked potatos which had a lovely crispy skin. The skin on the chicken was delicious (it was crispier then it looks, next time im going to turn the heat up at the end), the meat was incredibly moist and the wings where the crispiest Ive ever had. It was also very easy, just whack it on and go back 2 hours later.

After lots of grand plans, I went for a quick and easy recipe. Deep fried soft shell crab po-boy. Crabs, lettuce, tomato, mayo and hot sauce in a soft roll. With a beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Minder wrote: »
    Deep fried soft shell crab po-boy.

Where did you get the soft shell crabs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cheesy Pasta:
    Ingredients;
    500g DeCecco pasta
    2 * Dolmio "Slow Roasted Garlic & Tomato" Stir-in Sauce
    125g Mozzarella
    200g Red Cheddar
    200g White Cheddar

trackguy wrote: »
    Where did you get the soft shell crabs?

Seewoo, Greenwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Beer did dinner last night.
    Jook (Chinese rice porrige - this one with chicken stock) with minced pork, onions and wild garlic; Asian slaw of fennel, carrot and radish (my contribution); stirfried Chinese leaves.

DSC01400rs.jpg

Mrs doing dinner again tonight - will post pic later - gotta go feed now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tonight I did chicken roulades with sage and onion stuffing, wrapped in bacon, and served along with red cabbage, creamed leeks and buttery mashed potatoes, yum!

Have the caramel squares from cooking club chilling in the fridge now for dessert :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

One of my favourite Mary Berry recipes - Pork with Chilli and Coconut. Very easy to make and very tasty. Kids normally eat it no problem (chillis deseeded and white mebrane removed) but tonight decided it was too spicy and kicked up hell. Added sweetcorn just for them :(

Recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/530286/mary-berry-s-pork-with-chilli-and-coconut

Picture059.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement