Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Forgot to snap a pic but I think I perfected my wings recipe. I tossed the wings in a small bit of oil and then added some salt, pepper, cajun seaoning and hot chilli powder (so they where lighly coated). I cooked them on the bbq until they where as crisp as possible and served them with a franks/butter (70:30) sauce for dipping with a glug of a hot sauce I got as a gift from the states based on scotch bonnet peppers. Had them with bbq baked potatos and a bit of frozen veg.

For dessert I improvised and split some bananas, threw on some mixed frozen berries from the freezer and sprinkled with sugar and threw them on the bbq. The sugar caramelised and the berries produced a sweet syrup which I drizzled over the end result. Nice bitterness from the berries with the sweetness from the rest.

Tomorrow its marinaded pork chops.... on the bbq :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    For dessert I improvised and split some bananas, threw on some mixed frozen berries from the freezer and sprinkled with sugar and threw them on the bbq. The sugar caramelised and the berries produced a sweet syrup which I drizzled over the end result. Nice bitterness from the berries with the sweetness from the rest.

I can vouch for the dessert, it was yummy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Treated to this last night
    DSC01401rs.jpg

Minced free range pork with green pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, chilli, preserved black beans, rice wine, pork stock. Served with flat noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Last night was a beef tagine with couscous

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12513

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made this last night:

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/thai-red-prawn-curry-and-papaya-platter-meal

Did the cucumber salad, jasmine rice, red curry (with sublime fresh Monkfish cheeks from the fish monger instead of prawns). Left out the papaya platter.

It was one of the nicest meals I have ever cooked and I was proud as punch after it. Making the curry paste from scratch with only a sharp knife took some time I tell you but the brownie points are replinished so that's good. The cucumber salad was fantastic.

Highly recommended.

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Back ribs smoked for 3.5 hours over hickory
    [IMG][/img]7074388689_5aabb9ebf4.jpg
    Ribs.jpg by lordstilton, on Flickr

Pan fried, floured medallions of monkfish with braised puy lentils.
    Not sure how well the tomatoey, herby, spicy (not hot) lentils complimented the fish, though. Still, it didn't clash and was very tasty;).

DSC01402rs.jpg

As a side note, we both, inadvertently, took monkfish out of the freezer (discovered this this morning). It still smelled good so we put it back in the freezer (fish allergic person staying with us for the next week so couldn't have it for dinner again tonight). Will be interesting to see if the freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing process destroys the texture or not. I will report back when we do eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

We fancied going out for a burger and a milkshake last night but we couldn't really afford it, so we had a home-made budget version. :)

Home-made burgers, sesame buns, onions, pickles, cheese and ketchup, with home-fried chips and surprisingly good milkshakes made with some vanilla ice cream we dug out of the freezer, milk, malt and drinking chocolate. Success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bratwurst, mashed potatoes, beans and pickled cabbage. Great meal for 4 for under €3.

Picture061.jpg

With the leftover mash and cabbage, made a pile of Bubble & Squeak Cakes to freeze for our big breakfasts. :D

Picture062.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight we had garlicky roast "lamb fillet" (which is bizarrely named, seeing as it's the top part of the lamb leg - bone in). I cooked it medium, so nicely pink, and we ate it with roasties, carrots, broc and mange tout, and made a really delicious gravy from the juices. I cut the leftover meat into cubes for a curry another night.

2q3nogi.jpg

Dessert was rhubarb crumble, with a little river of custard and cream. Yum.

116q53k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had this Thai mussels with sweet potato - recipe by Jill Dupleix. Served it with plain jasmine rice.

Previously slow roast and frozen duck legs crisped up in a hot oven with the cooking juices, rhubarb and ginger jam, ginger, garlic, star anise, soy, rice wine, sesame oil, scattered with fresh coriander and spring onion. Served with Thai fragrant rice and stirfried Chinese leaves with ginger, garlic and soy.

DSC01404rs.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

About once every second month I tend to make a big pot of puttenesca and freeze it in portions, I normally just use the normal, traditional recipe (garlic, chilli, anchovies, tomatoe paste, chopped tomatoes, capers and olives) but last night, for the hell of it, I decided to omit the capers and olives and instead use up about 200g of smoked bacon lardons I had in the fridge.
    The result was a lovely, smokey, rich sauce. Will def do this again. Maybe use smoked pancetta next time and throw in some mushrooms.
    The presence of the anchovies is like having MSG in the sauce, it just boosts all the flavours so much. They have so much umami in them, as do the tomatoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonight I will be having panfried buttermilk fish with oven wedges.

Just going to put some whiting into butter milk for 15-20 minutes, then make a dredge of flour, corn meal, onion powder, garlic powder, ceyenne, salt, white and black pepper and some fresh tarragon.

Serve it with some tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Last night we had roasted sweet potatoes, baby potatoes, loin of pork with crispy crackling, sweated leeks and herby stuffing, with a homemade pork gravy.

Wish I took a pic now. Gonna start contributing more to this thread so I'll have to step my game up with my presentation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Seaneh wrote: »
    A I decided to omit the capers and olives and instead use up about 200g of smoked bacon lardons I had in the fridge.
    The result was a lovely, smokey, rich sauce. Will def do this again. Maybe use smoked pancetta next time and throw in some mushrooms.
    The presence of the anchovies is like having MSG in the sauce, it just boosts all the flavours so much. They have so much umami in them, as do the tomatoes.

throw a little red wine and rosemary in with the bacon and you're not far away from an amatricana sauce

Dinner from the other night. Lovely Prawn Pullao, from a Madhur Jaffery recipe. Served with green beans, sauteed in some ghee with sesame seeds and coconut.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12539

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

no pix, but i did my home-made spag bol (only with pasta rather than spaghetti, as the mother broke her arm a little while back and finds spag a little difficult to eat)!

i had some lovely mince, onion (burnt the eyes off me), tin of chopped tomatoes (i got a different one than normal, this one came from lidl and had garlic in), a red pepper (this was purely cos i copped a slightly wilting looking pepper in the salad crisper and decided to put it out of it's misery), mushrooms and tomato puree. oh and herbs like basil, parsley, oregano, black pepper :D really simple to make and much nicer than the jars

Last night had a light meal of tomato, basil, mozzarella with olive oil and balsamic; green salad of lettuce, rocket, mustard leaves with homemade dressing; cucumber; marinated olives; bread; rosé wine.

DSC01406rs.jpg

Tonight, house special fried rice:D:D

DSC01407rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

This evening we had Spaghetti Carbonara, I normally use a sauce (curdled a homemade one before when I added the cream), but this time my friend got one of those powder packet things that ya add milk to. It was a bit bland so I added butter and cream cheese to it, and we had that sauce with tagliatelle pasta with chicken, mushrooms and bacon in it. Was actually surprisingly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

No photo, but ribs with barbecue sauce and roast potatoes, with a creme egg for dessert...no veg but I think the ribs were nearly worth scurvy!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

One of the dinners over the weekend was marinated lamb kebabs, tzatziki, wedges and Greek salad

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12545

The left over tzatziki went really well as a dip with some parsnip, beetroot and sweet potato crisps we picked up in M & S yumm!! :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12546

Thai pork patties with dipping sauce. Crunchy vegetable & noodle salad with peanuts on the side.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12548

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More nosh, score the chicken breasts at their plumbest and fill crevice with English mustard, black pepper and butter, slap slice of onion over the wound (!) and wrap with streaky bacon, fry in hot olive oil for 5 mins turning once (you will placed a pan in the oven at 150c and diced spuds over simmering water to steam about 10 mins before tackling the chicken), put pour oil and chicken breasts into hot pan add some butter and return to oven. Oil in pan and add onions and the diced spuds, stick a lid on pan (low heat) and go away for 10 mins.

Come back and turn spuds for the browning boil water for peas, when peas are thrown in pan take out the dish out of oven and add contents to the spuds and onions in frying pan, replace lid and let it all fry delightfully (whole house needs to smell of slightly burnt onions and olive oil!) Serve.

Chickenbaconspudsandpeas2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jamie Oliver's chicken korma.

Roast chicken thighs with tomatoes, garlic, olives, lemon thyme, white wine.

DSC01408rs.jpg

Fried polenta cake.

DSC01409rs.jpg

Green salad of lettuce, rocket and basil leaves (which we never ate:().

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Roast chicken thighs with tomatoes, garlic, olives, lemon thyme, white wine.
    <snip>
    Fried polenta cake.
    <snip>
    Green salad of lettuce, rocket and basil leaves (which we never ate:().

i must come for dinner at yours some day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Salmon with new potatoes, asparagus and hollandaise sauce. It was the first time I've made hollandaise sauce, I never realised how much butter is in it!! :eek:
    Apologies for the rubish camera which makes everything look shiny :)

200949.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

5 Spice Chicken with Miso Noodles and Konnyaku

Konnyaku is a Japanese food that can be found in Asian shops. It looks kind of like granite, but has a rubbery texture. It's not essential to the dish.

Take 1kg of chicken breasts and pound flat. Marinade in 0.25c soy sauce, 0.2c veg oil, 2tsp 5 spice, 1tsp grated ginger, 2 cloves garlic. Grill.

Meanwhile cook your noodles. Rinse the konnyaku and blanch in boiling water for a minute. Drain well. Add 4tsp miso paste to boiling water and mix well until dissolved, add Konnyaku and simmer until the chicken is cooked.

Place noodles in bowl, add some miso broth and Konnyaku, put the sliced grilled chicken on top, and get nomming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement