Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonight I will be having what I like to call "green curry broth".

I make a normal green curry paste, usual ingredients, I heat ground nut oil add the paste and then 1 part coconut milk to 2 parts chicken stock, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer, throw in about a cup of wild/brown rice and cook for 15 minutes, then add diced chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
    In a seperate wok stir fry some veggies, I like asian baby courgets and aubergines with baby corn, green beens and julenne peppers and some bok choi greens. Just a quick toss in the wok to heat them through, still want them crunchie, the greens a little wilted.

When thats done, put your veggies in a bowl, spoon over the broth with the chicken and rice.

I like to make deep fry some noodles and throw them on top with some fresh corriander and spring onions for some colour and crunch.

Lovely filling, warming, fresh "soup".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

201897.jpg

Currently sizzling in the oven waiting for her Highness to come back from work. Shop bought dough but homemade base with passata & puree, black pepper, sea salt, oregano and rosemary. Toppings include white cheddar, odd but delicious Polish sausage, mushroom, red pepper and Tesco finest white pudding. It smells pretty damn delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The last of that huge monkfish we got a few weeks ago:
    Pan fried medallions with a julienne of spring onion, ginger, garlic, soy, rice wine and lime juice, served with Thai fragrant rice and wilted spinach.

DSC01424rs.jpg

It was the piece of monkfish that was inadvertently defrosted overnight. I put it back in the freezer as it smelled good and hoped for the best. It was very good in both texture and flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I had beef stew, yorkshire puts and steamed broccoli. Usually we would have potatoes with stew but the yorkshire puddings were gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Monday night we had tandoori chicken with coconut tarka dhal, homemade roti and a salad. Tonight was chilli con carne in wraps with avocado salsa, sour cream and grated sheeps cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Minder wrote: »
    Monday night we had tandoori chicken with coconut tarka dhal, homemade roti and a salad. Tonight was chilli con carne in wraps with avocado salsa, sour cream and grated sheeps cheese.

I kind of play this game with your dinners, to see if you ever mention a dish where I have eaten every item on the menu you describe.

I thought I was on to a winner with this one but nope. The sheeps cheese got me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Louisiana Jambalaya from The World Of Spice by Michael Bateman. It's full of Cajun sausage, smoked ham and shrimp.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12615

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

May I just ask, in which restaurant do both trackguy and TheBeerRev work?

Me needs to try out your food! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

First time to try that Tobasco and It was nice.
    CxZwkl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Roast chicken, veg & very crispy spuds..

5af6dc9c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Last night it was Pork Burgers made out of slow roast belly of pork with a barbeque sauce, homemade chips and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Last night was a really tasty chicken and udon noodle stir fry

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12619

I've got this bubbling away now for tonight, spicy meatballs

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12620

Cottage pie tonight - meat and veg in a rich gravy topped with creamy mash. Absolute manna on a day like today.

I kind of play this game with your dinners, to see if you ever mention a dish where I have eaten every item on the menu you describe.

I thought I was on to a winner with this one but nope. The sheeps cheese got me. :pac:

Surely you've had sheep's cheese?
    Pecorino?
    Crozier Blue?

This cracked me up, you've made my evening after long delays on the train due to a lightening strike. The sheeps cheese is a greek Pissourkotiko, a type of Halloumi from Pissouri. It doesn't have that rubbery quality that comes with a lot of Halloumi and it can be grated and eaten without cooking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cottage pie tonight - meat and veg in a rich gravy topped with creamy mash. Absolute manna on a day like today.

Same :)

IrishAm wrote: »
    May I just ask, in which restaurant do both trackguy and TheBeerRev work?

Me needs to try out your food! :)

I can't speak for mrwonderfultrackguy but I don't work in a restaurant - that would take the love out of it for me!
    (I did do a short stint in a restaurant kitchen about 20 years ago and it nearly killed the love). Me, chef? NO:eek:
    I did learn a lot, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pecorino?
    Crozier Blue?
    Or even ricotta, feta or halloumi.

I can't speak for mrwonderfultrackguy but I don't work in a restaurant - that would take the love out of it for me!
    (I did do a short stint in a restaurant kitchen about 20 years ago and it nearly killed the love). Me, chef? NO:eek:
    I did learn a lot, though.

I knew there was some restaurant experience in there Mr Beer!

I, however, am completely self-taught! :cool:

Sichuan pepper-crusted Chicken Ramen with pak choi

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12629

• Advertisement

trackguy wrote: »
    I knew there was some restaurant experience in there Mr Beer!

I, however, am completely self-taught! :cool:

Cocky Fecker!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Monday: Fried Halloumi, Ravioli and Peas in an Italian style tomato sauce. The Halloumi was left over from a Paneer Mattar type dish I made last week.

Halloumi_Ravioli.jpg

Wednesday: Beef Meatballs, Kidney Beans and Peas in Tomato Sauce

Meat_Balls_and_Beans.jpg

Pecorino?
    Crozier Blue?
    Mellor wrote: »
    Or even ricotta, feta or halloumi.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY I DID IT! :pac:
    This cracked me up, you've made my evening after long delays on the train due to a lightening strike. The sheeps cheese is a greek Pissourkotiko, a type of Halloumi from Pissouri. It doesn't have that rubbery quality that comes with a lot of Halloumi and it can be grated and eaten without cooking.

Glad to have cheered you up. :)

<pic snip>

That's a cracking looking plate of food. What did you use as the broth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Marinated pork (from the butchers) with baked potatos (with a dollop of sour cream and scallion) and ratatoille. Very nice.

For desert a scoop of vanilla with rolled oats, dried cranberries and a tiny drizzle of honey. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Beef Bolognese, but I cooked the pasta in the bolognese, and I added butter beans and chilli. Nommmmmmm

Pan fried fillets of gilthead bream on a fennel and white onion risotto with a little shaved fennel salad and a pinch of fennel pollen to finish the dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not doing a lot of cooking at the moment because of being extremely busy. Instead, there's a lot of food collation going on - so most days dinner is:

An apple cut into wedges
    A couple of fresh figs, halved
    A handful of crunchy sugarsnap peas
    A handful of sweet green seedless grapes
    A ladleful of semi dried tomatoes in oil and herbs
    A finger of blue cheese
    A finger of pate
    A couple of slices of good prosciutto
    Crackers of some variety - usually very plain types made mostly from flour, water and salt.
    A spoonful of any variety of chutney to round it all out.

It's sort of a glorified ploughmans with meditteranean undertones...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mooeygooey

<pic snip>

Looks amazing! If it tasted half as good you're on to a winner!

• Advertisement

That's a cracking looking plate of food. What did you use as the broth?

Thanks Minder. The broth is a light chicken stock seasoned with a sachet of miso soup powder, a tsp of salt, a tsp of sugar and a dash of both soy sauce and white pepper.

I don't usually put soy in the broth but it gave it a nice meaty taste.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement