Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I've got this bubbling away now for tonight, spicy meatballs

Here's the finished result of Karen's meatballs. Lovely Jamie Oliver recipe with lemony, herby meatballs and a bit of chilli in the sauce!

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast rack of lamb marinated in a chettinad coconut curry paste. Served with a watercress, spinach and asparagus salad with toasted pumpkin seeds and grated halloumi.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I'm finding it really difficult to eat my veg these days. I'm under stress and feel like havinf junk food all the time - I normally eat lots of salad but its so wintry!

I had a load of broccoli that I just couldn't bear to eat, some onions, potatoes and some cashel blue cheese and made them up into a soup with some vegetable stock. Gorgeous - and not feeling so guilty now that I've used up all that broccoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The idea popped into my head and I had to do it, pork loin stuffed with a little black and white pud, a stuffing of sausage, onion, garlic and fresh parsley wrapped in bacon :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i have strep throat and the weather is diabolical here. so nothing better than my mammys cottage pie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The idea popped into my head and I had to do it, pork loin stuffed with a little black and white pud, a stuffing of sausage, onion, garlic and fresh parsley wrapped in bacon :o

Mmmm, that pork looks lovely and moist - a rare enough thing in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Twas a grand day for an Irish Stew.
    Bottle of Helvic Gold was the secret ingredient - also lamb, carrots, parsnip, onion, leek celery, potato, pearl barley, fresh thyme, winter savoury, flat leaf parsley.
    Was looking forward to this stew all day and was not disappointed.:D

DSC01434rs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Mmmm, that pork looks lovely and moist - a rare enough thing in this country.

I cooked it long and low, I think all the juices from the onion, sausage (superquinn of course) and bacon just managed to keep it basted. Pork can be a disaster, I want to try a pork belly soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm finding it really difficult to eat my veg these days. I'm under stress and feel like havinf junk food all the time - I normally eat lots of salad but its so wintry!

I had a load of broccoli that I just couldn't bear to eat, some onions, potatoes and some cashel blue cheese and made them up into a soup with some vegetable stock. Gorgeous - and not feeling so guilty now that I've used up all that broccoli.

Merged with Dinner thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had a hankering for ages for a fish curry, so made one for dinner.

Thai red curry paste, one can coconut milk (good quality, so plenty of cream in it), a can of fish stock, then green beans, baby corn and carrot batons, plus raw tiger prawns and raw basa fillets from frozen.

Started the broth by stir frying the paste in some of the coconut cream, then added the rest of that plus the stock. Added the veg in stages (carrots take longer than corn for instance), then added a couple of bashed lemongrass stalks and a handful of kaffir lime leaves. Just as the rice was coming to be cooked in a separate pot, I added a splash of fish sauce, then added the fish and prawns to the top of the simmering broth and put a cover on the pot, and turned off the heat and left it.

Voila: thai red fish curry without overcooking the fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Last night was chicken, ham and leek pie :)

IMAG0004.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I tried this last week:

Wasabi Salmon with Bok Choy, Cabbage and Shiitake Mushrooms

1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon wasabi paste
    1" piece ginger
    2 large garlic cloves
    2 skinless salmon fillets
    4 ounces stemmed shiitake mushrooms
    1 pound baby bok choy
    2 cups shredded green cabbage
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper

Season the salmon with the salt and pepper. (I modified the menu a bit here by adding lemon juice as well, not a huge fan of fish usually but quite like it when mixed with lemon.)

Peel and grate the ginger and garlic.

Mix the mayo and wasabi in a small bowl and add half the garlic and ginger.

Halve the bok choy and shred the leaves. Throw into a bowl with the shiitake mushrooms and the shredded cabbage. (I added some sweetcorn too). Pour over the olive oil, add salt and pepper and toss it all together.

Heat a large baking tray. Place the salmon on one side and the veg on the other at 230. Cook until the salmon is done, which is about 15 minutes or so, stirring the vegetables occasionally.

Serve the salmon on a bed of the veg and then either cover with the wasabi mayo or serve on the side.

Have to say, *toots own horn* it was gorgeous, I could have just kept eating and eating. I'm not a massive fan of fish in general but the salmon was very nice the veg cooked really well and the wasabi mayo was absolutely delicious, I'm going to make up a jar of it just for everyday use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Martyn1989 wrote: »

That's strange, I was looking for a black pudding recipe the other day as I got my hands on a nice piece (rare in Oz). Came across this, very similar to yours.

http://noblenourishment.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/pork-stuffed-with-black-pudding/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Vegetarian bolognese with tagliatelle and (a lot! :)) or parmesan.

ad9528d6922011e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Two-Way Coriander Beef (from Honey-ec's awesome blog) served with iceberg lettuce and home made chilli & tomato sauce.

ec4a680490a211e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sausage, beans and chips:D

absolutely divine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,174 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Please don't post any more pictures. I'm on a diet and i'm fcuking starving.
    Steamed cod, a couple of spoonfuls of mash and peas was all I got. There must be an easier way to get rid of a bit of weight.

Saturday. Friends 40th birthday at Langan's Brasserie in Piccadily. The only thing that exceeded my expectations was the price. Mediocre food without finesse at ridiculous prices. Out of 10 people there were only a handful of good dishes. The spinach souffle with anchovy sauce was a treat. Garlic prawns were reliably good. Main courses were middling to awful. I had calves liver with bacon. Two large slices of bacon with ribbons of wobbly white undercooked fat. Vegetable sides were more suited to a contractors canteen than a fine dining restaurant in London. Poor show.

Sunday was a much better experience with a large family dinner at the In-laws with roast lamb, ratatouille, rice, wings, babotie and great desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Myself and two friends decided to cook a nice dinner for ourselves today. Roast chicken, roasted carrots and parsnips, mashed spuds, roast spuds and stuffing and gravy :) With one of the new Magnums for dessert. Delish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So I was in London last week. I went to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon for the pre-theatre menu, 4 courses for £40 which included an amuse bouche, two starters, main course and dessert. It was the best meal I have ever had.

For my first starter I had Veal Paté set in a crust with foie gras and pistachio. To be honest, it was nice, but I didn't love it, it was also quite a big portion for a starter!

529931_2965989838616_1527754729_31920812_819091548_n.jpg

Then I had Green Asparagus cappuccino served with golden croutons. It was amazing. The bowl came without the asparagus soup part, that was added at the table and I believe there was a balsamic reduction in there too.

374056_2965990438631_1527754729_31920814_1383267619_n.jpg

For my main course Confit shoulder of lamb served with white beans from Paimpol. The only words to describe it were melt in the mouth. Absolutely amazing.

556114_2965991958669_1527754729_31920818_1479545521_n.jpg

Then for dessert I had Le Mango Mango - Coulis and mousse of mango, Joconde biscuit and exotic sorbet, again this was absolutely amazing.

156104_2965994318728_1527754729_31920824_826826485_n.jpg

It was a gorgeous meal. I'd definitely go back again. It's quite a different set up to a normal restaurant as you are seated at a bar, but behind the bar is the chefs working, so you get to watch them working away and the amount of time they spent on each dish. I'd recommend it anyway!

Was feeling disgruntled and disappointed after Langans, then I saw Pigwidgeon's post. Now feeling disgruntled, disappointed and hugely jealous.

That looks like a wonderful meal and sounds like the bill was similar to the price we paid for two courses. That's definately one for my list of places to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Minder wrote: »
    Was feeling disgruntled and disappointed after Langans, then I saw Pigwidgeon's post. Now feeling disgruntled, disappointed and hugely jealous.

That looks like a wonderful meal and sounds like the bill was similar to the price we paid for two courses. That's definately one for my list of places to visit.

Just to make your jealousy even worse, they under charged us. We only got charged for the 3 course meal, so £36 each. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Pigwidgeon you legend, think you've just decided where we're going for dinner for my boyfriend's first trip to London! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,174 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    So I was in London last week. I went to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon for the pre-theatre menu, 4 courses for £40 which included an amuse bouche, two starters, main course and dessert. It was the best meal I have ever had.

MOD EDIT: DON'T QUOTE PICTURES!!

I can see your teeth marks on the dessert spoon.

Goan pork curry with potatoes. Served with plain rice and some of my spiced pear chutney

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12674

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

trackguy wrote: »
    Goan pork curry with potatoes. Served with plain rice and some of my spiced pear chutney

Hi TrackGuy,
    I'd love the recipe for the Goan curry if you wouldn't mind.
    Thanks alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Hi TrackGuy,
    Thanks alot.

meee toooo :D

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Hi TrackGuy,
    Thanks alot.
    hdowney wrote: »
    meee toooo :D

Sure! It's a Madhur Jaffery recipe from her 'Ultimate Curry Bible' book. She likens it to a simple vindaloo, but with the vinegar and chillies in gentle quantities. You'll need -

2 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp coriander seeds
    3 cloves
    140g onion, chopped
    5 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1-inch piece of ginger, chopped
    2 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp paprika
    Salt
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    560g stewing pork, cut into cubes
    3 tbsp veg oil
    340g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    1/2 tsp sugar

Put half the mustard seeds, along with all the cumin, coriander and cloves into a spice grinder/ pestle & mortar and grind to a fine powder.

Put this mixture into a food processor along with the onion, garlic, ginger, vinegar, cayenne, paprika and 3 tbsp of water. Blend to a smooth paste.

Combine a tsp of salt, the turmeric, pepper and 2 tbsp of the paste and rub all over the pork. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hrs.

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the remaining mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, add the remaining spice paste. Stir and fry for 5 minutes until lightly browned.

Add the pork and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add about 600ml of water, the potatoes, 1/2 tsp salt and the sugar. Bring to the boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook gently for about an hour.

Remove the lid and if it looks a little watery, continue to simmer with the lid off so that it has a chance to reduce and thicken. Serve with some plain rice.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Thanks a million Trackguy !!!

by the way, how are people taking images, are they just using mobiles ? The quality of some of the pictures is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had no potatoes last night to make potato cakes so tried them with Sweet potato instead. Awesome:
    Sweet_Potato_Cakes___CU.jpg

Sweet Potato mash and self raising flour, just keep adding flour and mixing until you get a doughy texture. I also added some dried grated cheese because I wanted to finish the can.

Roll out to about 1.5cm thick and cook on a dry pan dusted with flour to stop it sticking.

Serve with lashings of butter on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

It was such a miserable day yesterday so I decided to make some wintery comfort food - Toad in the hole, chips and gravy! It hit the spot!

toadinthehole.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement