Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Homemade sausage, apple and black pudding rolls. Served it with carrot & parnsip mash and potatoes sauteed with a little smoked bacon.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

trackguy wrote: »
    Homemade sausage, apple and black pudding rolls. Served it with carrot & parnsip mash and potatoes sauteed with a little smoked bacon.

They look fantastic!!!!
    I will make them this weekend!!!

Pastry isn't something I've ever really used, is that puff pastry?
    And then do you just fill it with sausage, pud and apple slices, a little egg wash and in the oven?

Martyn1989 wrote: »

They look fantastic!!!!
    I will make them this weekend!!!

Pastry isn't something I've ever really used, is that puff pastry?
    And then do you just fill it with sausage, pud and apple slices, a little egg wash and in the oven?

It's ready rolled puff pastry. Cut in half and it's enough for two jumbo sausage rolls.

Take 6/8 sausages, remove the meat from the skins and add to a large bowl. Fry off a finely chopped apple and onion and add this to the bowl with the sausage meat. Crumble in a clonakilty black pudding and season. Add a little thyme too. Mix thoroughly.

Divide in two and lay on your sheets Of pastry. Fold over the pastry and seal. Brush with a little beaten egg and bake in a 200 degree oven for about 35 minutes.

It's amazing cold the next day with some
    cheese and chutney too.

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Thanks a million Trackguy !!!

by the way, how are people taking images, are they just using mobiles ? The quality of some of the pictures is brilliant.

Some people on here... *cough* The Beer Revolu *cough*..... use fancy cameras, I just use my phone ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Some people on here... *cough* The Beer Revolu *cough*..... use fancy cameras, I just use my phone ;)

There's an app for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Noelly

tmc86 wrote: »
    It was such a miserable day yesterday so I decided to make some wintery comfort food - Toad in the hole, chips and gravy! It hit the spot!

Is that homemade or shop bought pastry? Looks delish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

It's ready rolled puff pastry. Cut in half and it's enough for two jumbo sausage rolls.

Take 6/8 sausages, remove the meat from the skins and add to a large bowl. Fry off a finely chopped apple and onion and add this to the bowl with the sausage meat. Crumble in a clonakilty black pudding and season. Add a little thyme too. Mix thoroughly.

Divide in two and lay on your sheets Of pastry. Fold over the pastry and seal. Brush with a little beaten egg and bake in a 200 degree oven for about 35 minutes.

cheese and chutney too.
    Mother of god. I had a massive - and I mean massive - Thai red curry with hot homemade naan bread about an hour and a half ago. It was gorgeous. But I still want to go to the shop now to buy all those things, make that sausage roll thingy and sit up all night with indigestion after eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

hardCopy wrote: »
    There's an app for that

Is there though seriously? I think Beer uses a long lense and that's how depth of field is done but maybe I stand corrected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So I got my Good Food magazine yesterda (:o I want to make EVERYTHING :o).

I decided to make one of their Take 5 quick meals - Sweet Chilli Dogs.

So I bought 5 Chive and Leek Bangers.
    Then I used 1 White and 1 Red Onion; Sweet Chilli Sauce; Tomato Puree and Hot Dog Buns.

Cooked the Sausages in the oven for 25 mins, turning occasionally (along with some Wedges).
    In a pan I put some Oil, then fried up the Onions (evil onions ripped the eyes off me :(). I then added 4tbsp of the Sweet Chilli Sauce and 2tbsp of the Tomato Puree and stirred it in, cooking for a couple more mins.
    Sliced the Buns, stuck a spoon of Onion in, a Sausage and more Onion and served with the wedges.

Pish simple, quick and DELICIOUS :D

Karen made dinner last night - Wagamama Stir-fried Warm Chicken Salad with udon noodles

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12702

Followed by a wedge of her coffee cake for dessert! Very tasty!

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12703

• Advertisement

cheese and chutney too.

Legend.

I know there have been sexual innuendos here lately about wife-swapping and the like but I'd almost swing for the other side having seen this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Loire wrote: »
    Is there though seriously? I think Beer uses a long lense and that's how depth of field is done but maybe I stand corrected?

To be honest, I don't know what other people are using. My phone camera has an artificial depth of focus filter. Apps like Instagram can do this on any smart phone, otherwise you can use something like Picasa to apply popular effects and enrich the colour on your PC.

To be honest, I don't know what other people are using. My phone camera has an artificial depth of focus filter. Apps like Instagram can do this on any smart phone, otherwise you can use something like Picasa to apply popular effects and enrich the colour on your PC.

Cool, I'll check it out...now...back to the food :pac::pac:

Legend.

I know there have been sexual innuendos here lately about wife-swapping and the like but I'd almost swing for the other side having seen this

Erm.... Thanks ;)

Erm.... Thanks ;)

I was hoping I'd get some response, otherwise I would have looked very creepy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Mick F

Tried this last night. Delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm confused. Did you try the recipe, or what Loire was referring to?

:pac:

Good ole reliable for me. Has to be done sometimes.

203466.jpg

So for dinner last night I had a mixed salad dressed in a simple olive oil and white wine vinger, garlic bread and pork chop marinated in Jack Daniel's sauce :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Grilled quails marinated in rosewater, plum wine and toasted cumin. Baked aubergine with den miso and black seasme seeds; and a bowl of noodles dressed with seasme and chilli oils.

I had home-made Chicken Balti with Basmati Rice and Naan bread :D Very good if I do say so myself.

305585_10150911380141103_513511102_11479845_33997102_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use a relatively long lens (50mm), usually wide open (f1.8) but it's the fairly large sensor in the camera that really gives the shallow depth of field. Also the lights on my extractor seem to light the food nicely and give a little back lighting.

To be honest, those aps where you defocus parts of the picture look very artificial to me.

Been away quite a bit so no photos or memorable dinners - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Beef Bourguignon with mash and Horseradish. So full of flavour

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=12720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely simple dinner tonight.
    Pan fried rare striploins (picked up for pennies in Tesco reduced section), potato rosti, grilled balsamic tomatoes, stirfried kale and cabbage leaves.
    Shiraz.

DSC01439rs.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last Thursday was my boyfriend's 30th birthday, and as it's such a special occasion, I brought him to Hayfield Manor in Cork to have the tasting menu. I'm only just getting a chance to upload these now.

This was the menu:

img0712vk.jpg

The amuse bouche was phenomenal. It was a breast of quail on spaghetti that I cannot remember the specifics of - parsnip and something else. It was outstanding.

img0713ss.jpg

Lobster consommé next, with the broth poured tableside:

img0714hpr.jpg

The pork belly was arguably the best course. The pork was unbelievably tender - your fork just slid through it. The crackling was fantastic, and the homemade black pudding was just the best I've ever tasted.

img0716bn.jpg

I ate the halibut course too quickly to get a picture, but it was fantastic. I'm not sure how they did the confit chicken wings, but they were just unbelievable! I'd love to be able to recreate it at home.

By the time we got to the beef course, the lighting had changed and made it tricky to get a good picture. This was the point where I started to get uncomfortably full. The beef was so tender and juicy, and the beef cheek was delicious - but too rich for my blood. Neither of us liked the cauliflower and truffle risotto, but that's because we both really dislike cauliflower.

img0718vw.jpg

The dessert was out of this world. An amazing combination of sweet, salty, smooth and crunchy. I wish I hadn't been so full so I could have appreciated it more!

img0724x.jpg

And finally, a really nice touch I though, they brought out little petit fours for my OH with 'Happy birthday' written on the plate :)

img0727mw.jpg

My OH hates cheese, so he skipped that course, and I was so full that I could only manage a tiny bite. The meal was €80 per person, which was actually great value. Service was absolutely impeccable, and the hotel itself is lovely. Highly recommended!

Chicken Chilli Noodles - my interpretation of the Wagamama dish 'Chicken Chilli Men.'

A spicy, zesty, tangy delight.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12733

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Night before last was Roast Chicken. Got one of the Season and Shake bags to liven things up. Also stuck 10 bay leaves (from the garden!) into the cavity as well as a bulb of garlic. Quite good it has to be said and moist thanks to the bag. Served with roast wedges and brocc. Catching Thieves Cab Sav did the honors on the Wine front.

Last night was roast fillet of lamb. Taken out good and early and filled incisions with smoked garlic and fresh rosemary. Lots of lemon juice and a bit of olive oil. Left for an hour or so and then roast with spuds for 70 odd mins. Served with par boiled and pan flashed baby veg. Controversially served with a Gran Reserve Rioja (Torres) but complaints were short lived!

Tonight its the turn of the noble cow! Roast rib on the bone with I think some form of mash and lots of roast onions! Would love to be able to say I will wander down to the cellar and select the vino but to be honest its whats ever left from the Tesco shop at this stage (either a beauty or a beast but what the hey!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Duck for dinner. This morning I broke down a duck and made confit of duck leg in the waterbath - 6 hours at 82c. The carcass was roasted and cooked for an hour in the pressure cooker to make a stock with a load or aromatics - fennel seed, star anise, veggies. The stock went into a red wine sauce. Also made a forcemeat ball with the gizzards and liver, a little breadcrumb, then rolled in crumbs from a potato & rosemary loaf and deep fried.

Dinner was confit of duck leg on puy lentils; breast of duck on wilted spinach, duck forcemeat balls, all with a red wine sauce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonight I had a buckwheat crepe with Roquefort, crispy bacon and mushrooms, and a side salad. It was yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last night was Striploin steak, normal & sweet potato chips with salad.

0ab35380.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Last night we had a homemade Chinese banquet!!

Deep fried battered pork (first time to make that), sweet and sour sauce (that too!), egg fried rice, chicken chow mein, and steamed broccoli and green beans in a mix of coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. It was amazing!!

Finished off with homemade shortbread, strawberries and a marscapone cream. The kitchen looked like a bomb site but it was so much fun to prepare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement