Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chicken stew, recipe courtesy of MAJD. It was delicious too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Faith wrote: »
    Chicken stew, recipe courtesy of MAJD. It was delicious too!

Ditto

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It must've been chicken stew day! I had it too, but from my own recipe. It was the first time I made it in the crock pot and it was very successful.
    This is perfect weather for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Beef madras with boiled rice, made with the sharwoods paste and beef shin (which I have now decided is about the best cut for all stewing and sauce dishes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

beef shin (which I have now decided is about the best cut for all stewing and sauce dishes).
    Spot on. You just can't beat it.

Myself & Mrs Billy ate out last night. Herself had prawns with chilli & lemongrass on noodles which was very nice. Could have done with a splash of soy & fish sauce. I had chicken with tequila & jalapenos. Pretty good I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

Monday had breaded turkey cutlets - lovely and tender! - with garlic mashed potato. Tuesday beeyootiful steak sirloin panfried with crispy roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips, and peppered beans and tomatoes alongside.

Leftovers last night - used up 1 sirloin steak and one turkey breast steak, panfried with onions and garlic in chilli oil, gravy made by deglazing pan with Worcestershire sauce, a bit more butter and adding cornflour and water. Bit greasy, to be honest, but the meat was beautiful. Sauteed potatoes and carrots alongside, and orange and lemon cheesecake (courtesy of another thread on this site) to follow. Gorgeous, but had a terrible tummy-ache all night!

Slow-cooker beef curry tonight, made with the chicken stock I made (in the slow-cooker) last week from the carcass of my slow-cooker roast chicken (only just bought the slow-cooker and am cranking it up!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

chiempi wrote: »
    Slow-cooker beef curry tonight, made with the chicken stock I made (in the slow-cooker) last week from the carcass of my slow-cooker roast chicken (only just bought the slow-cooker and am cranking it up!)

Aren't slow cookers fantastic? I bought mine recently too and I can't believe how good the food tastes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Homemade fried rice, was ok not great. Any tips for the perfect fried rice dish?
    When I make fried rice I add one egg, a bit of onion salt and some ham. It's absolutely yummy!!!!

Last night I had gammon steak and mashed potatoes with chives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

nerdysal wrote: »
    When I make fried rice I add one egg, a bit of onion salt and some ham. It's absolutely yummy!!!!

Last night I had gammon steak and mashed potatoes with chives.

I think the egg was where I went wrong, I didn't let it cook enough before mixing it in so it disappeared. Onion salt - thats interesting never used it. I used onion seeds in the coating of last nights dinner - fried chicken thighs on the bone and then off (the first batch were a little pink around the bone) and they were actually nicer as escallops. Forgot I knocked over my bottle of groundnut oil at the w/e so ended up using Crisp & Dry for the chips - and what a difference they were just ok whereas chips cooked in groundnut oil are always delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Vindaloo, cooked by my darling wife. (And shared with her and our two boys. A plate each) :)

• Advertisement

I'm merging this with "Here's What I had for Dinner Last Night" as there's no need for a separate thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Monkfish wrapped in basil & parma ham served on a mushroom, chilli & lemon zest risotto.

Saturday night:
    Indian curry - no particular style, just made it up with spices that I could easily reach in the cupboard. Served with basmati, naans, popodums & Geetha's Lime & Chilli pickle.

Sunday night:
    Rasher & egg sandwiches & a cup of strong tea.
    Also made a massive pot of stew with shin beef that will last a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Ratatouille, bean salad, bruschetta, and a lovely watercress salad.

Jamaican pork stir fry - I saw it in Saturday's Daily Mirror and decided to try it. It was very nice.

Roast chicken dinner. We have Mayan gold spuds in the local supermarket - excellent for roasting. Served with a mixture of steamed veg - carrots, french beans, baby sweet corn. Gravy.

Home made icecream - A 400g can of condensed milk turned into toffee, mixed with a pint of custard. Churned in the icecream maker for 40 minutes. Very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Chicken Goujons with Cheesy Fantail Potatoes...

Meatballs in a tomato sauce made with a tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, a large glass of sweet white wine and some beef stock, a little dried oregano and some smoked paprika. Using sweet white wine negates the need for the addition of sugar or anything to take away the acidity of the tomatoes - it was all very palatable. Served with fettucine, and there's more for dinner today, which is always good.

One thing I'm going to have to try and recreate is a dish our favourite indian used to do in Woking - garlic chili chicken masala. It was a firey, piquant dish, garlicky and spicy with whole green chilis, a tomato base and the fragrance of fresh coriander stirred through before serving. It rawked.

A fresh batch of chicken stew... I had it tonight too. And probably will tomorrow night...

I've got to stop ordering chickens when I shop online!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We had chicken stirfry. I did the slicing and dicing and he did the cooking. Not bad for his first attempt though it could have used a little more soy sauce and 5 spice.

• Advertisement

One thing I'm going to have to try and recreate is a dish our favourite indian used to do in Woking - garlic chili chicken masala. It was a firey, piquant dish, garlicky and spicy with whole green chilis, a tomato base and the fragrance of fresh coriander stirred through before serving. It rawked.
    Sounds great. When you've got the recipe sorted - any chance of sending it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Pappa al pomooro (tomato and bread soup) a la Jamie Oliver. great for a wet and windy night. Goint to try watercress soup tonight.

Rabbit. I deboned the carcass and minced the scraps, mixed with some sausage meat and stuffed into hog casings to make rabbit sausages. I saved the back legs for tonight. The loins were breaded with panko breadcrumbs and pan fried for about 6 minutes. Roasted a kilo of tomatoes with a head of garlic & a bunch of basil, then pushed the whole lot through a chinois to get the sauce. Served with a lightly dressed spagettini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I also had sausages. I cooked up some of my home-made ones.

Fry 8 sausagges in a little oil for about 5 minutes.
    Pop the sausages into casserole dish.
    To the frying pan add a diced potato, chopped celery, leak and onion and fry for five minutes. Add a spoon of flour and cook for another minute, then gradually add a 1/2pint (decent) cider.
    Onto the sausages add a diced red apple, and the mixture from the pan. Season, and a pinch of sage. Into the oven for 30-40 minutes, and eaten with mash. Gorgeous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Grilled rainbow trout with roasted red peppers and fresh soda bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Free range chicken breasts marinated in ginger, corriander, lemon and then oven baked in foil with a few mushrooms. Not bad but lacked a bit of kick so must try it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Went out to dinner tonight with my parents to celebrate my dad's big birthday and my homecoming for Easter. (We fobbed off my younger brother with a takeaway pizza.)

I had the most beautiful stuffed pork steak, really tender, beautiful stuffing. It was served with buttered cabbage which I love, and a potato cake, which was a bit salty but ok.

I even enjoyed the cider sauce with it and I'm not usually a fan.

I love coming home, I get proper food without the effort.

Bit of a pikey pizza night last night. It was about 36 degrees and if there's one thing you don't want to do in that heat, it's run the cooker.

The new barbecue is due to be broken in some time soon (gas fired bbq), and I'm thinking the breaking in process is going to involve tandoori chicken and a butterflied leg of spiced lamb... Good Friday, I'm looking at you here...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Going to purchase a gas bbq this year myself, probably go for the webber. I know a couple of people that cook their christmas turkey on them. 2 of my bbq favourites are king prawns skewered by lemon grass or a simple red mullet, maybe lightly spiced.

Ate out last night. Saturday night was; Spice Fried Hake with Cucumber Raita and Coriander Salad from here. Twas savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Friday : homemade tagliatelle, with homemade wild-garlic (Barlauch) pesto, and a side-salad
    Saturday : horse fillet, filled with strips of chilli, wrapped in bacon, served with grilled tomatoes and chips.
    Sunday : Roast turkey legs, cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, and boiled spuds served with a barlauch cream-cheese topping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement