Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

trackguy wrote: »

Recipe please???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wanting something bad for me and something good for me last night, so made myself a few deep fried chicken wings tossed in a blend of extra hot sauce and melted butter; accompanied by a small serve of plain steamed rice and a large serve of stir fried bok choi, with chili, garlic and a drizzle of ketjap manus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saturday had fried/grilled chicken thighs; IPA and lemon thyme jus; baby West Cork new potatoes with tabouleh (from the previous night); lattuce and rocket salad.

DSC01650rs.jpg

Tonight was pan fried/oven finished free range pork fillet; chive mash; braised kale; pork jus.
    Forgot to take a pic:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Excuse the random assortment of food but im on a keto diet, it was delicious anyway.

Chicken leg quarter topped with mozzarella on a bed of lettuce, tuna & coleslow.

545703_459028934114010_219769671_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

trackguy wrote: »
    Soy-garlic chicken from likemamusedtobake

Served with a homemade slaw, pineapple salsa and wedges.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12922

I gave this a go albeit without the garlic and ginger as I didn't have any.

Chickeninhoneysugerandsoy2.jpg

Worked nicely will try it again with all the ingredients next time.

Now, a warning if like me you use the top oven rather than the main one, the honey/soy mix will burn on the bottom of the pan like crazy if you do not watch it like a hawk - do not pre-heat oven and keep the temp no higher than 150C and be ready to pull it out quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh great, I've been meaning to dig out that recipe! That's tomorrow's dinner sorted :)

Tonight, we're having beef wellington, sweet potato chips and peppercorn sauce. I'll add in a picture if I get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Tricolore pasta (with a very difficult name) with grilled courgettes, onions, peppers and chicken, sauteed garlic and chilli. Added chopped cherry tomatoes, parsley and coriander. And olive oil.

2a98pwz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

We were in the Basque for the last 5 days at a wedding. I'll be annyoying you all with lots of photos of what we ate! Here was a meal I had in our hotel in Zumarraga the other night.

To start I had Lobster Ravioli with wild mushroom sauce and squid ink
    picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12977

For main I had Magret a la Plancha con frutas rojas y salsa manzana or Fried duck breast with red fruits and apple sauce
    picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12978

For dessert I had the Textures of chocolate and orange.
    picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=12979

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Mike65 - New plates? ;) Looks delish dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a set of "jumbos" for when nothing less than two chicken thighs will do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had surf and turf.

I marinated some king prawns still in their shells in hot green curry paste, with soy sauce, honey and olive oil, and grilled them for a couple of minutes each side.

I seasoned our steaks and griddled them medium rare.

Served with an asparagus and serrano ham salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice and black pepper, and boiled baby potatoes with a dollop of mayo on top.

Scrumptious. We were far too hungry to find the camera and take a photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

1338501789274.jpg

Chicken and veg stir fry. Got a bag of frozen veg in Lidl today, turned out really nice: carrots, peas, green beans and sweet corn. Lots of soy sauce, paprika, lemon juice and garlic.

An oldish one from holidays in Nice a few weeks ago; Roast Guinea Fowl with some kind of gnocchi-esque potato fingers and strips of stewed apple:
    Roast_Guinea_Fowl.jpg

Another holiday one from Lake Garda, "Spaghetti" Ice Cream:
    Spaghetti_Ice_Cream.jpg

We had the soy garlic chicken from the blog Mike65 posted above, with sweet potato chips and sweetcorn. My god, it was delicious!! Definitely making that again.

I took a picture and all, but it's being bold, so it's not getting uploaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Treated myself tonight to fresh sea bass roasted with lime slices, salt, parsley, chives, pepper and a drop of oil with a baked potato with a tiny bit of sour cream with blue cheese and chive and some Tesco houmous with a jalapeno kick. The fish was light and moist, I'll definatly be doing this again although Ill take the time to de-bone it.

Without stopping for air I had raspberrys, strawberrys and blueberries with clotted cream and honey comb ice-cream. It was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Steaks last night. Sirloins vac packed with thyme and garlic and cooked in the waterbath at 55c for an hour, then dried, seasoned and blitzed on the griddle pan for a minute each side. They were melting tender. Served with chips and a greek salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I got the River Cottage Cookbook recently. Last night I made the rich tomato sauce with bacon for some spaghetti and grated some parmesan cheese over it, simple but very tasty.

A couple of days ago I tried the Croquetas De Gallina (Elenas Chicken Croquettes) but that turned into a mini disaster lol, must try harder next time :o

Sorry, no photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Last night

Leg of chicken wrapped in bacon then sprinkled with mixed herbs, topped with garlic mozzarella. Side of asparagus, green beans, broccoli & coleslaw!

a23ca4ae.jpg?t=1338569960

ea16c966.jpg?t=1338569957

Then this morning

Streaky bacon with swiss cheese, scrambled egg & veggies.

d1ab1cd2aca411e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Burritos!
    Chipotle marinaded pork, refried beans, green rice, roasted tomato salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream. Yummy! :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=13008

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=13006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Last night's caesar salad. We had it with steak and pan fried potatoes (not on photo)

10oqtk2.jpg

Tonight I made a stir fry.

2vtqtm8.jpg
    331eosx.jpg

Burritos!
    Chipotle marinaded pork, refried beans, green rice, roasted tomato salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream. Yummy! :D

What's in the green rice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Spatchcocked a small chicken last night and rubbed it with peri peri mix and lemon rapeseed oil. Roasted it with quartered onions and sliced peppers and boiled new spuds until done and then tossed then in lemon oil salt and pepper.

Pots and Chicken were good but the peppers suffered so wont be trying that again!

Last night we had thai salad of prawn and chicken with herbs and green leaves. Also had sweet cured tuna on lolot leaves with chilli mayo, mushroom spring rolls and prawns in panko crumbs with chilli jam.

Given the appalling weather, last night I served up a delicious chicken, bacon and mushroom pie (puff pastry). There was much less sauce than usual, which was actually a welcome change. I served it with super smooth creamy mash and buttery green beans. For dessert, we had vanilla ice cream with my homemade warm butterscotch sauce, and optional raspberry and white chocolate blondies. All washes down with plenty of good wine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Warm salad of mixed leaves from the garden, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber, homemade dressing, squashed roasted baby new potatoes and confit duck leg meat.

DSC01651rs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Minder wrote: »
    What's in the green rice?

Here is the recipe I use

400g basmati
    1 clove garlic
    1 small onion
    2 handfulls corriander
    a large bunch of parsley
    4 tbsp olive oil
    600ml chicken stock

whiz the garlic onion and herbs in processor with splash of water and half the oil until you have a thick puree.

Heat remaining oil in saucepan and fry the puree for 5 mins.

Add the rice, pour in the stock and simmer for 15 mins.

Cover with a lid and put in a low oven bout 120 degrees for 30 mins to finish cooking.

Its a great alternative to plain boiled rice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Hangover comfort scram.
    The only thing homemade was the chicken goujons.
    Tasted bloody Marvellous though.

2e3460fd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Loopy wrote: »
    Hangover comfort scram.
    The only thing homemade was the chicken goujons.
    Tasted bloody Marvellous though.

Beans touching your egg!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've been thinking about this recipe for a while. Finally gave it a go the other night. Turb out well, won't be making any changes really.
    Presentation could be better, didn't think of photo/posting it until after it was plated up.

Peanut butter and Jelly chicken*
    Turned out well.

207574.JPG

*The name is a bit tongue in cheek, attention grabbing. Similar to the Fat Duck's snail porridge, instead of escargot risotto. There isn't actually strawberry jam in there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast rib off beef for two with Parmesan mashed spuds and string beans

All reasonably regular and standard fare but all added this sauce which really made the dish;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2478/mushroom-sherry-and-grain-mustard-sauce

Washed down with a very nice Italian Ripasso!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Beans touching your egg!!! :eek:

That's the only way.
    I stabbed that yolk so bad that the beans turned kinda yellow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement