Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Been a good weekend of food here!

Finished off today with a late lunch BBQ for the nearest and dearest!

Tried something I had been nervous of for a long time on the auld charcoal but tried a butterfly leg of lamb and it worked out great! Its daunting to start with but try it! 35 odd mins and the 'thin' part was just the right side of medium so we kicked off with it and baby spuds, carrot batons and various salads. Gave the thicker bits a little longer and when they were had they were med rare, perfectly pink but with a super caramelized outside.

No pix as why bother when there is good eating to be done! Definitely give this a go if it has crossed your mind as it is well worth it! Was going to butterfly the lamb myself and marinade but didnt have the time so got same per vac packed and marinaded from Donnybrook Fair (well done to same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Me and the gf made our first attempt at homemade pizza today. By a stroke of luck our second attempt at the dough turned out perfect, we followed the recipe from the 2010 Cooking Club for the sauce (which was fantastic).

I had a small bit of the following, diced scotch bonnet and habanero chillis, fresh spinach, parsley, oregano, basil, steak, chicken, chorizo, sweetcorn and red pepper. :cool:

It was amazing, as good as any pizza I've had in any restaurant, definatly going to be a more regular thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Spice-crusted Pork Fillet, a homemade sweet & sour sauce, potato & chorizo hash and grilled aubergine.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

trackguy wrote: »

What's the recipe for this? While it sounds like winter food, the weather is foul enough to tempt me to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I'll be damned if I let the awful weather keep me from eating summery sunshine food.
    Used this recipe loosely http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4414/warm-chorizo-sweet-potato-and-egg-salad

1eonpf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

We had Jamie Oliver's 'Jools' pregnant pasta' tonight and it was scrumptious...although I prob wouldn't be quite as heavy-handed as Jamie is with the balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

We had Jamie Oliver's 'Jools' pregnant pasta' tonight and it was scrumptious...although I prob wouldn't be quite as heavy-handed as Jamie is with the balsamic vinegar.

I think that's the tastiest recipe in the book along with the Chicken Pie. However I think it tastes a little too strong of fennel so I have reduced the amount I use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^ funny how it goes, we tried it and hated it.

We're going to have something simple tonight, steamed salmon and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Pizza night. We made a few with different toppings. This one in particular was salami, red pepper and chilli oil

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=13022

Chicken and Leek Pasty by way of this http://www.noshanduttertosh.blogspot.ie/#!http://noshanduttertosh.blogspot.com/2011/10/chicken-leek-pasties.html :)

I adapted it by adding 3 small spuds and 2 strips of streaky bacon, I left one half portion
    to eat cold tomorrow. I suspect it'll taste better (not that there was anything wrong with it hot)

Late evening edit - just snuck a bite from the fridge - much nicer, in fact pretty fabulous! I'll never eat another hot one :)

ChickenandLeakPastie1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tonight I made a pork curry. Lots of ginger & garlic, courgette, baby new potatoes, pepper & onions. Some Massamam paste & standard spices - ground cumin, coriander, hot smoked chili & lots of green cardamom & mustard seeds with a few split birds-eye chilis. Coconut milk, lime juice & a bit of chicken stock. It is still simmering away, but my God it is gorgeous! (Even though I do say so myself.) :)

208112.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Shredded pork burritos

208069.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

mike65 wrote: »
    Chicken and Leek Pasty by way of this http://www.noshanduttertosh.blogspot.ie/#!http://noshanduttertosh.blogspot.com/2011/10/chicken-leek-pasties.html :)

I adapted it by adding 3 small spuds and 2 strips of streaky bacon, I left one half portion
    to eat cold tomorrow. I suspect it'll taste better (not that there was anything wrong with it hot)

Late evening edit - just snuck a bite from the fridge - much nicer, in fact pretty fabulous! I'll never eat another hot one :)

Looks delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

vindaloo tonight, the reward after a few hours making fresh curry base etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Posh beans on toast.

1339258734512_1.jpg

Haricot beans, brown beans and chickpeas in a tomato, pepperoni, turkey and chilli sauce. On a thick slice of toasted granary batch bread with chunks of feta

Chorizo and Butter Bean Stew with garlic and thyme from http://www.noshanduttertosh.blogspot.ie/

Very delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Lemon roasted chicken with salad & one or two roasted sweet potatoes (why weren't these given to me as a child!!)

481916e3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

steak_boards.jpg

Steak with prune-potato cakes and spinach in a red wine jus - cooked by herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

N. African spiced, roast chicken thighs; spiced couscous with pine nuts and coriander; tabouleh.

DSC01652.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What spices did you use in your couscous, tbr? I'm making lamb burgers later and haven't decided what to have with them yet. Couscous might be nice.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    What spices did you use in your couscous, tbr? I'm making lamb burgers later and haven't decided what to have with them yet. Couscous might be nice.

Coriander seed, cumin seed, allspice, cinnamon, smoked paprika. Then fresh coriander and toasted pine nuts to finish, oh and some lemon thyme.

Beery free range pork ribs with homemade barbecue sauce; potatoes boulangere; steamed cabbage.

DSC01653rs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Beery free range pork ribs with homemade barbecue sauce; potatoes boulangere; steamed cabbage.

That looks great, I'm having trouble finding anything but bacon ribs which I've heard can be very salty.

Tonight I had a homemade cheese burger with spicey patatas bravas, I should have let the cheese melt more but I was starving, it was still very very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Pan fried chicken marinated in Franks and a salad of rocket, tomato, potatoes, avocado, bacon and red onion. Made a dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, honey and some more Franks.

208515.jpg

Had some left overs to use up and made some more stuff to go along with them and ended up with a veritable feast!!:D

Grilled aubergine, hummus, tzatziki, grilled tomatoes, leftover spiced couscous, leftover potato boulangere (minus the lovely crispy top which got scoffed last night), marinated olives, pickled peppers, left over tabouleh (not pictured), leftover BBQ pork ribs (not pictured).

DSC01670rs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    That looks great, I'm having trouble finding anything but bacon ribs which I've heard can be very salty.

Tonight I had a homemade cheese burger with spicey patatas bravas, I should have let the cheese melt more but I was starving, it was still very very nice.

Reading this gave me a hankering for patatas bravas so I've just made some myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Obscenely good homemade beef burger. Minced beef mixed with onion, worchestershire sauce, sweet paprika, garlic, cracked black pepper and wholegrain mustard, with diced cheddar stuffed into the centre. Served with pickled red cabbage, mayo, ketcup, lettuce and tomato.

burger.jpg

Christ, I want one! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni with homemade coleslaw.
    Sorry no photos :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Obscenely good homemade beef burger. Minced beef mixed with onion, worchestershire sauce, sweet paprika, garlic, cracked black pepper and wholegrain mustard, with diced cheddar stuffed into the centre. Served with pickled red cabbage, mayo, ketcup, lettuce and tomato.

Oh my effin god, marry me :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement