Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Obscenely good homemade beef burger. Minced beef mixed with onion, worchestershire sauce, sweet paprika, garlic, cracked black pepper and wholegrain mustard, with diced cheddar stuffed into the centre. Served with pickled red cabbage, mayo, ketcup, lettuce and tomato.

Hi Susie_Q - Any chance that you could share that recipe here? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night made Chicken Tarragon using fresh tarragon from my garden with homemade chicken stock. To serve we had boiled, new Ballycotton potatoes (fab!) and the whole thing was delish:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2093/chicken-with-tarragon-garlic-and-olives

* forgot to add the olives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Obscenely good homemade beef burger. Minced beef mixed with onion, worchestershire sauce, sweet paprika, garlic, cracked black pepper and wholegrain mustard, with diced cheddar stuffed into the centre. Served with pickled red cabbage, mayo, ketcup, lettuce and tomato.

That looks amazing, i make a similar burger with cheese stuffed in the middle, and there i was thinking i was all original :) I don't toast the buns, i prefer to use really fresh soft white baps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Hi Susie_Q - Any chance that you could share that recipe here? ;)

Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lamb burgers:
    Ciabatta, rocket, tzatziki, gas BBQd medium lamb burger (from my favourite butcher), sliced jalapenos, hummus, ciabatta.
    Very messy, very tasty!:D

I really don't see the point in making my own burgers when the butcher does it so well - just meat and seasoning (I don't be doing with anything else in burgers).

DSC01671rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I really wish we had something like the english market in Dublin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

mmcn90 wrote: »

There's nothing like the English Market in Dublin but you can't go wrong with Honest 2 Goodness market in Glasnevin, held every Wednesday and Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Greek style salad with griddled lamb chops and olive bread.

wup93t.jpg

dlrskw.jpg

20a5r9z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

IMAG0031.jpg

Sometimes you just can't beat a good roast chicken :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really don't see the point in making my own burgers when the butcher does it so well - just meat and seasoning (I don't be doing with anything else in burgers).

O' Flynns?

I sent the OH into the English Market the other day to get a chicken, and told him to ask them to spatchcock it. He went to two butchers in there, and neither of them had a clue what spatchcocking was. He had to explain it to one in the end, who only cut it down the back. I ended up doing the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight, I had turkey meatballs in a tomato sauce with couscous, from this recipe. I should have trusted my instincts and not added so much water to the tomato sauce. Even though I cooked it for way longer than Nigella recommends, it still ended up extremely watery and tasteless. I'll reheat it tomorrow, and cook the sauce for MUCH longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tonight I made a frittata with diced boiled baby new spuds, a tomato & smoked bacon. A couple of birds-eye chilis, minced garlic, chopped coriander & some cracked black pepper. Nice & spicy & full of flavour. Pity I didn't have an onion to chuck in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

trackguy wrote: »
    mmcn90 wrote: »

There's nothing like the English Market in Dublin but you can't go wrong with Honest 2 Goodness market in Glasnevin, held every Wednesday and Saturday.

I hadn't heard of that, thanks. I try venture to Howth Market on Sundays. Traffic and working weekends usually hinder me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Lamb burgers:
    Ciabatta, rocket, tzatziki, gas BBQd medium lamb burger (from my favourite butcher), sliced jalapenos, hummus, ciabatta.
    Very messy, very tasty!:D

Now thats my kind of burger !!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Summer salad with chorizo and a nice cheesy baked potato :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=13080

Basmati rice and a lamb korma (with apricots, cashew and yogurt)

t0q6op.jpg

Faith wrote: »
    O' Flynns?
    Nope, O' Mahony's in the market.
    I sent the OH into the English Market the other day to get a chicken, and told him to ask them to spatchcock it. He went to two butchers in there, and neither of them had a clue what spatchcocking was. He had to explain it to one in the end, who only cut it down the back. I ended up doing the rest.

There are a lot of butchers in The English Market and they're not all good.

Last night had lamb chops and leg pieces done pink on the gas BBQ with pearl barley, glazed carrots, rocket and herb pesto, oxtail and tomato sauce.

But I guess if there's no pic, it doesn't (or didn't) exist:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spatchcocked quails with mechoui spice rub, roasted in the oven and served with wet polenta and a tomato and basil sauce.

Minder wrote: »
    Spatchcocked quails with mechoui spice rub, roasted in the oven and served with wet polenta and a tomato and basil sauce.

That sounds delish. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Try calling it butterflying. I've had success with that.
    Some people use the butterflying as spatchcock is also a name used for a poussin.

I made that soy garlic chicken last week. Considering making it again for one with a poussin or a quail. I'll get a funny look if I go and ask for a spatchcocked spatchcock.

• Advertisement

Don't know what the weather was like elsewhere but here it was certainly a day for a Stew - a summer Irish stew with lots of fresh herbs.

DSC01672rs.jpg

Hahaaah ! The weather was great where I was yesterday.
    There was no real cooking involved in last night's dinner.
    A plate with cured meats (salami, smoked (dry) ham, paté); some cheese (Roquefort and Brie) with pear ; egg salad (or egg mayonnaise - homemade) ; courgette chutney (homemade) ; tomato and feta salad ; homemade olive bread and 'seedy' multi grain bread.
    Think that was all. :o
    2uhmow5.jpg
    121tjsy.jpg
    2gw583q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hahaaah ! The weather was great where I was yesterday.
    There was no real cooking involved in last night's dinner.
    A plate with cured meats (salami, smoked (dry) ham, paté); some cheese (Roquefort and Brie) with pear ; egg salad (or egg mayonnaise - homemade) ; courgette chutney (homemade) ; tomato and feta salad ; homemade olive bread and 'seedy' multi grain bread.
    Think that was all. :o
    http://i50.tinypic.com/2uhmow5.jpg
    http://i45.tinypic.com/121tjsy.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2gw583q.jpg

That looks great, any chance of a recipe for the olive bread?

hardCopy wrote: »

Whoops ! I am a bit of a slap dash bread maker. Have been baking bread for a century :D, but I'll try my best to list the ingredients and quantities.
    Also, I use my trusty old kenwood.
    Here we go !
    • flour 1kg (can be white or a mix of white and wholegrain)
    • 3 sachets of instant yeast
    • 1 heaped tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp sugar
    • dash of olive oil (3 tbsp)
    • 2 cups of olives, roughly chopped (I mixed green and black)
    • a few sprigs of rosemary, chopped
    • a few sprigs of oregano, chopped (or dried)
    • cold water
    1. mix the flour with the yeast
    2. put the salt and sugar on top near the edge of the bowl
    3. add the olive oil, olives and herbs
    4. pour in some water
    5. bring the ingredients together, adding more water as you go along and as needed.
    6. knead the dough till it has reached the elasticity you're looking for.
    7. leave to rise till doubled in size
    8. divide into 3 or 4, shape into loaves.
    9. place in a preheated oven (210°C) and bake till it sounds hollow when you knock on the loaves
    10. leave to cool on a wire rack
    :oI'm sorry it is so... all over the place and not very strict on ingredient quantities, but that's how I cook.

After numerous requests from my husband I finally made his favourite again, it had been a while. Poor beggar.
    Black (his fav) and white pudding with sour cherries (sweetened with some sugar and thickened with a little corn flour) and mashed potatoes. It's a traditional Belgian combo, can also be eaten with apple sauce (my fav) instead of cherries.
    The sour cherries are sometimes served with meatballs.

33lcew6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

After numerous requests of my husband I finally made his favourite again, it had been a while. Poor beggar.
    Black (his fav) and white pudding with sour cherries (sweetened with some sugar and thickened with a little corn flour) and mashed potatoes. It's a traditional Belgian combo, can also be eaten with apple sauce (my fav) instead of cherries.
    The sour cherries are sometimes served with meatballs.

Everytime I see your food it just screams FRENCH at me, no idea why. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

French trimmed rack of lamb with pan fried circles of polenta and the tomato basil sauce from last night. I made a load of polenta yesterday and poured the unused polenta into a shallow tray to cool. Today I cut circles out of it and pan fried them until crispy - 15 to 20 minutes.

Avox wrote: »
    Everytime I see your food it just screams FRENCH at me, no idea why. :o

Does it ? Maybe it's because of my username.
    Don't think my lamb korma or stir fry where very French. :p
    Buuuuut I might have some French influences in my food as I am Belgian and lived in France for a while. So you have a point.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Whoops ! I am a bit of a slap dash bread maker. Have been baking bread for a century :D, but I'll try my best to list the ingredients and quantities.
    Also, I use my trusty old kenwood.
    Here we go !
    • flour 1kg (can be white or a mix of white and wholegrain)
    • 3 sachets of instant yeast
    • 1 heaped tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp sugar
    • dash of olive oil (3 tbsp)
    • 2 cups of olives, roughly chopped (I mixed green and black)
    • a few sprigs of rosemary, chopped
    • a few sprigs of oregano, chopped (or dried)
    • cold water
    1. mix the flour with the yeast
    2. put the salt and sugar on top near the edge of the bowl
    3. add the olive oil, olives and herbs
    4. pour in some water
    5. bring the ingredients together, adding more water as you go along and as needed.
    6. knead the dough till it has reached the elasticity you're looking for.
    7. leave to rise till doubled in size
    8. divide into 3 or 4, shape into loaves.
    9. place in a preheated oven (210°C) and bake till it sounds hollow when you knock on the loaves
    10. leave to cool on a wire rack
    :oI'm sorry it is so... all over the place and not very strict on ingredient quantities, but that's how I cook.

Sounds great, thanks

• Advertisement

Sounds great, thanks

You're welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement