Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You're welcome. :)

Great Bread!

I had no olives so used sun-dried tomato instead. I'm cooking tomorrow, this will be a starter.

IMAG0463.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today a friend invited me for dinner and she cooked an amazing meal.

We had a bone in Rib Of Beef roasted to med-rare served with some roast spuds we cooked in some duck fat I provided, broccoli, sprouts, roast carrots and parsnips, yorkshire puddings, roast onions and a lovely red wine gravey.

Was like the perfect sunday lunch for friday supper.

I also had a few very generous glasses of young Rioja to wash it down.

Honestly, was the best meal I've had in months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

hardCopy wrote: »
    Great Bread!

I had no olives so used sun-dried tomato instead. I'm cooking tomorrow, this will be a starter.

tee hee. Didn't realise how urgent you wanted that recipe :D

It looks great, your bread.
    And of course you can play around with your ingredients to suit your taste and depending on what you have in your store cupboard.
    Adding crumbled feta cheese with the olives works a treat too. :)

10 minutes pasta.
    With smoked streaky bacon, lots of garlic, spring onions, lots of freshly cracked black pepper, cream.

10hq3ph.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Dined out last night with the good lady at the Taste of Dublin event. I was quite skeptical but despite the weather it wasnt bad at all.

Cant remember all the bits and bobs as spent a fair bit in the Wine Shops!

Fish and chips from the Dylan was very good as was the Rump steak in Bearnaise from the Chop House. Not the most economically sensible night but a good experience none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pasta with spicy sausage and tomato. as found here http://www.noshanduttertosh.blogspot.ie/

PastawithSpicySausageandTomato.jpg

Made too much, and I think I'm off pasta right now, so next time I'll combine the sausage, tomato, peppers, etc with red and butter beans (the later softened in red wine).

Couscous, tiger prawns (for me) and salmon (for OH) with a mango cucumber salsa (cucumber from our greenhouse :cool:)
    Scuse the bad quality pictures. I think I should start wearing reading glasses to take photos. :/

fyd10w.jpg

312k40p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight we had diced chicken breast stir-fried with onion and shredded red cabbage, dressed with garlic and chilli and served in a warm pitta, with some french-fried potatoes.

That's to say, kebab and chips from the local fryer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, lovely, neuro! I had ground beef, served in a warmed pitta with shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes, lovingly tossed in mayonnaise with a hint of garlic. Pommes frites to accompany.

Yep, take-away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Faith wrote: »
    Oh, lovely, neuro! I had ground beef, served in a warmed pitta with shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes, lovingly tossed in mayonnaise with a hint of garlic. Pommes frites to accompany.

Yep, take-away :D

Great minds :pac:

• Advertisement

I love a good pitta myself, yeap from the take away. I usually go for lamb kofte or a spicy adana. Finger licking good.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

IMAG0033.jpg

Crispy half-duck with duck fat roasties, sage and onion stuffing and gravy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Crispy half-duck with duck fat roasties, sage and onion stuffing and gravy :)

It's as if the duck is saying "Paint me like one of your French ladies" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

"Wearing this. Wearing only this."

Great minds :pac:

You are both just copying this post from me almost 2 years ago!!!

Tonight I had a lovely, lovely meal.

I had a Roast Lemon, Garlic and Thyme Chicken with Roast potatoes and onions and baked Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash, steamed brocoli and gravy.

Made a Lemon, Garlic and Thyme compound butter and stuffed it under the skin of the chicken, smeared the rest all over the outside and the stuffed the cavity of the bird with half the lemon and some garlic cloves.

Sat the chicken on top of a trivet of onions and potatoes and banged it in the oven for 50 mins.

Then I basted the bird with the juiced and raised it over the veg by putting a wire rack over the top of the roasting dish, turned the veg over and returned it to the oven.

For the last 30 mins I added to the oven a small roasting trat of diced butternut squash and sweet potato which I had tossed in salt, pepper, cinamon, honey, olive oil and a little thyme.

made a pan gravy from the cooking juices of the chicken and onions/potatoes at the end and devoured it all.

was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

The Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake from the cooking club. I made too much rice, but it worked out well as the oh brought it to work for lunch.

Apologies for the crappy camera.

209319.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chicken quesadillas tonight. Tasty but I've been ill and couldn't even eat an entire single one made with 6" tortillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have three kids so make home made pizza about once a week. Today however did something different and instead of baking in the oven I cooked outside on the gas BBQ. I just put the pizza stone on the grates and heated it up at highest settings for about 30minutes with the lid closed.

The result was a significantly crispier and tastier pizza that came out just like what you would get from a proper pizzeria. It even had some partial char that you would expect and cooking time was only about 5 mins with the lid closed. Rain or shine will be doing my pizza this way from now on!

Thanks to Faith & neuro-praxis I so fancied a kofte kebab from the take away.
    4zvims.jpg

I am so stuffed right now, the only thing for me to do is lie on the couch. Just hope that one of the cats doesn't jump on top of me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beef short ribs stewed with tomatoes, herbs, red wine and garlic with wet polenta and a side of fennel, carrot and orange slaw.

DSC01677rs.jpg

DSC01673rs.jpg

I shouldn't be looking at food right now, but man, that looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Beef short ribs stewed with tomatoes, herbs, red wine and garlic with wet polenta and a side of fennel, carrot and orange slaw.

Were you watching Jamie Does Marrakesh last night? He had a carrot and orange salad on there.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Were you watching Jamie Does Marrakesh last night? He had a carrot and orange salad on there.

Nope!
    I make lots of slaws - don't usually use orange juice in them, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Saturday we had a sous vide salmon dish inspired by the latest offering from the British Larder, here. I cooked the salmon at 45c in the waterbath. But I left it there for close to an hour. Maybe that was the reason it was too delicate to wrap in the pickled celeriac strings. Sous vide salmon was a revelation - beautifully tender and full of flavour.

Sunday we had a collection of home made curries using some of Curry Addicts recipes from the Cooking Club thread. We had Korma for the kids, tandoori chicken, aubergine curry, tarka dahl, naans pilau rice.

Tonight we had more of the curry from last night. I had a little brined salmon leftover from Saturday night, so made stuffed filo parcels with salmon & pilau rice seasoned with ras-al-hanout. Cracking with a little mango chutney and some cucumber raita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Beef nachos

209396.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

New to this site got inspired by the lovely photos so here goes, two night ago had cornish pasties (recipe I got from cook club, it was gorgeous)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Last night had satay chicken skewers ....made the sauce from scratch no jar or packet...it was a reasonable effort sauce needed dry sherry in it had none so did without would try other recipes till I found one that excited me more!

gjc wrote: »
    Last night had satay chicken skewers ....made the sauce from scratch no jar or packet...it was a reasonable effort sauce needed dry sherry in it had none so did without would try other recipes till I found one that excited me more!

For dry sherry try substituting some dry white wine with a little drop of vodka in it.
    Shaoxing rice wine is pretty much identical to dry sherry and is available very cheaply in any Asian shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

"Beef short ribs stewed with tomatoes, herbs, red wine and garlic with wet polenta and a side of fennel, carrot and orange slaw."
    Short ribs are sent from god himself! A butcher told me they're known as the 'butcher's fillet' in the trade. I'd take them before any other cut and they're a fraction of the price. Good call sir, good call :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement