Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last night was roast beef with all the trimmings..

3b14af0c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bassfish wrote: »
    "Beef short ribs stewed with tomatoes, herbs, red wine and garlic with wet polenta and a side of fennel, carrot and orange slaw."
    Short ribs are sent from god himself! A butcher told me they're known as the 'butcher's fillet' in the trade. I'd take them before any other cut and they're a fraction of the price. Good call sir, good call :)

Yup, the meat for that stew cost €5 - twould have fed 4-5 people.
    Add in an onion, a stick of celary, several cloves of garlic, herbs from the garden, a generous glass of reasonable wine and two tins of tomatoes and you have a very cheap meal. Polenta is also one of the cheapest staples you can get - cheaper than rice of spuds - only porridge compares for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Beef nachos

<pic snip>

Thats my kind of food would you have a recipe for a home-made cheese sauce?

Loopy wrote: »
    Last night was roast beef with all the trimmings..

<pic snip>

Could you help me out your cabbage looks lovely and green and fresh whats the secret..i just boil mine in water never seems to look like yours?? Thanks

Yum you're making me hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

gjc wrote: »
    Could you help me out your cabbage looks lovely and green and fresh whats the secret..i just boil mine in water never seems to look like yours?? Thanks

Yum you're making me hungry!

Lightly fried in butter and a little olive oil...
    Boiling would be better for the ticker!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Makes enough for two bowls

Sausagebeanstomatopepperonionandgarlic.jpg

Butter beans and red beans simmered in red win and put aside.
    Sausages de skinned and mashed together, fried in olive oil (break it up as it cooks) and then set aside.
    Throw in chopped half onion, one pepper, one garlic and soften up, add tin of tomatoes
    and add some cream then the beans and sausage and throw in seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes.
    Eat with some bread dunked in the sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Sometimes a store cupboard item like tinned carrots and peas is a life saver. I'll be having it cold with a chopped onion, chives and a spoon of mayonnaise. Potatoes cooked in their skin and grilled sausage seasoned with rosemary & thyme.
    Can't post a picture yet as it's not yet ready. I still have to open the tin.:p

SMILE
    2drrktv.jpg

2yl4ftg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Homemade taco fries!!! Was far too hungry to remember to take a picture though, oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Thats my kind of food would you have a recipe for a home-made cheese sauce?

You can make a basic cheese sauce by combining equal quantities (1 tbsp, 2 tbsp, 3 tbsp etc.) of flour and butter in a saucepan to make a roux, and adding milk and cheese. The more flour and butter you use, the thicker the sauce. You can add whatever cheese or cheeses you like.

I made a cheesy sauce (1 tbsp of butter/flour) for a hotdog once by adding in processed cheese slices (from LIDL) and added some paprika. I may have added in some mustard as well (can't quite remember).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Had the husband's favourite tonight - chicken biryani, with mango chutney, sour cream and buttered coriander/garlic naan. Shame I don't like it meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Tonight we had chicken and chorizo jambalaya, and a few bottles of Goose Island India Pale Ale. Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Tonight we had a bbq, vegetable skewers with olive oil and jalapeno sauce and beef burgers with all the trimmings and side salad! Yum:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Last night was fish pie with pollock and salmon in it, and tonight was hake, peas and duck fat chips. :)

Last night has steamed haddock with a stuffed pepper. Pepper was stuffed with rice courgette tomato and basil topped with cheese. Again not michelin star standard (the food critics in my house ie my kids did not award me any 10's - the food gets rated here like "come dine with mammy") as the rice on the top of the pepper got very hard from the oven, even though I put it on a low heat. Perhaps next time with bake it in tin-foil, apart from the top bit of rice the rest was lovely. Sorry no pics .:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Last night I made a portobello mushroom risotto with basil and a pan fried chicken breast on top. Was delicious.

Tonight is homemade Zaytoon style kebabs. Finally got my flatbreads perfected so will hopefully remember to take a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Had a nice Italian-themed meal last week. Tomato & mozzarella salad to start.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13122

along with a tasty antipasti platter

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13123

followed by a tagliatelle in a spicy sausage ragu with peppers.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13124

trackguy that just looks like food heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

*packs bags and heads for trackguy's place*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

General Tsao's chicken

209630.jpg

Acoshla wrote: »

I'll bring the wine

• Advertisement

Had to cook dinner for kids separate to ours as they dont like mushrooms so gave them chicken and onion pie, very simple but kids loved it, first time cooking it , next time we'll be have that looks a tad burnt believe it or not it wasnt I think the camera just took a bad photo

Our dinner was mushroom stuffed chicken with a wine and mustard sauce with pan fried potatoes and peas. Would it be true that because you cook it yourself you dont enjoy it as much because I'm finding it hard to like my own food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I'd been away in the US the past year, and shamefully I could count on one hand the amount of meals I cooked, so I'm just getting used to cooking for myself again.

Tonight was cajun swordfish steaks served over sea asparagus lightly fried in garlic, olive oil and butter with a side of beetroot onion and wholegrain mustard potato salad. Delicious!

IMG_20120620_210515.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Our dinner was mushroom stuffed chicken with a wine and mustard sauce with pan fried potatoes and peas. Would it be true that because you cook it yourself you dont enjoy it as much because I'm finding it hard to like my own food.

Probably just being over critical of yourself while everyone else loves it.

Thanks JPA I really feel my tastebuds are not working right lately nothing seems to have flavour (please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread/spice/detox/herbal tea/ointment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks JPA I really feel my tastebuds are not working right lately nothing seems to have flavour (please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread)

More paprika! It makes everything great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Acoshla wrote: »
    I'll bring the wine

Sounds like a grand little evening!

I did a cookalong with a few others on Twitter the Sunday before last.

It was based on 2 recipes in 'The Silver Spoon' cookbook.

I picked Roast Pork and Summer Cannellini Beans for the first cookalong and we all cooked it. It turned out really well!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Went to the Market bar last night for vino and tapas. Ordered something new on the menu - a stuffed steak escalope. What was I thinking?! :eek: It was cheap steak, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in parma ham, dipped in breadcrumbs and fried. Blergh! Rank. Nobody else at the table even wanted to taste it. I took just one horrible bite. I did have some patatas bravas as consolation though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Homemade steak kebabs. Didnt realise till it was too late that we didnt really have any salad, so it looks abit plain, but it was delicious.

Spicy tomato sauce on the bottom, spronions and red cabbage, then steak on the top and garlic mayo on the side.

photo-5.jpg

• Advertisement

Made this for the kids coming in from school today. I actually made it yesterday as the flavours get better overnight, believe me the taste is so much better, its home made tomato and basil soup. Dont feel like cooking tonight...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement