Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken thigh korma served with aged basmati rice.
    Mild, fragrant and effin' delicious:D:D

DSC01681rs.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Have you a recipe for that korma? It looks gorgeous.

Here's what I had. Bit of a weird one, not sure what it is really. Was using up a few things I had left around the house.

Chilli soy and honey minced turkey on a baked potato.

IMG_20120704_204715.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LadyHeart wrote: »
    The mushrooms went down a storm, really enjoyed them and so so easy! Had them with reggae reggae chicken and sweet potato mash with mango chutney and chilli.

Last night made the green chilli from the cooking club with naan from the freezer.

Had a brocolli and asparagus risotto for lunch today, had no wine to add to it tho :( but it was still yummy!!

Glad you liked, very easy for something so nice.

wastes a lot of oil though

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Had a gourge sausagy pasta carbonarra 4 dinner, took a pack of aldi specially selected garlic and herd sausages out of their skins, fried it off with loads of veggies(red onion red pepper, courgette, mushrooms and some spinach). Cooked off some farfalle pasta drained it and kept some water back, added in the sausage and veg mix. Separatly mixed 2 egg yolks 2tblsp of creme fraiche, some mozerella and some garlic powder, then added this to the pasta and sausage mix stirring to mix and cook the egg and added some of the pasta water to loosen it. It was sooo yummy and i was so hungry i didnt grt a chance to take a pic!! I literally licked my plate clean!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Baby back ribs

211734.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

My girlfriend made lovely homemade burgers the other night. She put ketchup in the mince (a Jamie Oliver idea I believe).

She served it with coleslaw, fries and chipotle mayo

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13359

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

As it was 4th of July we had a few hotdogs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Wraps with lettuce, chicken, panfried onions and.....courgettes.
    Scuse the photo, bad lighting and just bad photographer.
    2r2nn9z.jpg

And since we have more courgettes in the garden, I'll be making a quiche with some for tonight. Might as well use some of the abundance of eggs we have too.

Eggs and courgettes all the way ! Need to make refrigerator pickle with the glut of cucumbers and all.

yekahS wrote: »
    Have you a recipe for that korma? It looks gorgeous.

It a recipe from Camellia Panjabi's 50 Great curries of India called Chicken Korma with coriander leaves, that I adapted slightly.

Smash and mince 3 large garlic cloves and leave to soak in half a cup of water.
    Put a good pinch of saffron to soak in a 1/4 cup of warm water.

Put 5 chicken thighs (skin and bone on) to brown in a frying pan - put them bone side down in a dry pan and some fat will render out, then turn them to brown the skin side.

While chicken is browning, blitz 2 largish onions and 3-4 deseeded and de veined chillies (recipe called for green, I used red - fairly mild ones) and a good knob of ginger (thumb sized) in the food processor.

Melt a tablespoon of ghee (oil, if you must) in a heavy pan, add your onion/chilli/ginger puree and fry gently for around 10 minutes.
    Add 4 cloves, 8 green cardamoms (crushed), a stick of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of turmeric. Add your chicken, soaked garlic, a cup and a half of natural yoghurt and salt to taste.

Cover and simmer until chicken is done - about 30 mins.

If gravy is too thin, add a little rich chicken stock. (if you're going to use stock cube here, leave out salt until you taste the gravy)

Just before serving, add the saffron water, a good grind of black pepper and some chopped fresh coriander.

Serve with basmati rice or rotis.

Don't worry about the cup measurements - it's not an exact science - guess!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Warm spiced chicken and couscous onepot.
    Absolutly delish on a rotten night like tonight

Mv58n8iyNb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Kung Pao Chicken

212056.jpg

Courgette (what else ?) quiche. And that's all the courgettes I can handle for a while.... at least a few days.:D
    Need to sack the gardener for planting such productive plants. Oh and the photographer needs sacking too.;)

s5l64z.jpg
    ad204w.jpg

Don't think we'll have any courgettes this year - the weather is so bad:mad::mad:

First up is a dinner Mrs. Beer made for herself while I was away the other day:
    Stir fried free range pork mince with Chinese sausage and cabbage. Noodles.

DSC01683psf.jpg

A winter warmer for last night:
    Lamb stewed in brown ale with barley and carrots. Steamed new spuds.

DSC01684ls.jpg

A little midnight snack:o:

DSC01685sco.jpg

Made this tonight with homegrown spinach and chard. From the cooking club http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79610502#post79610502

14tnbt0.jpg

28lrgpi.jpg

jpd8b4.jpg

2wgtct4.jpg

In the pics is my 75 yr old mother's portion. biggrin.gif She'll probably have it 2 days in a row (maybe), telling me that I always make too much for her while licking every last bit from her plate.cool.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Fried Vermicelli Noodles for tea.
    Might have a sneaky supper in a little while.

photo3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had planned on making my début into this thread by posting pictures of the lovely meal of potted guinea fowl and beef burger I had at Ely gastro pub near the grand canal... but I ate the food before I remembered to take pictures :( But, it was delicious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Gnocchi with a smokey bacon and tomato sauce. Gorgeous and very filling.

gnocchi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rack of lamb dry rubbed with tumeric and salt and roast until medium rare. Served with satay sauce, another sauce of finely sliced shallots and chillies, lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar. Braised bok choy with soy and shaoxing wine and served with a pile of jasmine rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I just ordered beef ribs after slaughter next Monday. Any good recipes would be gratefully received via pm :) All I've seen on here look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

All this food is making me so hungry!

I'm dieting with a while so my current meals basically consist of vegetables and plain chicken, very exciting!

• Advertisement

Avox wrote: »
    All this food is making me so hungry!

I'm dieting with a while so my current meals basically consist of vegetables and plain chicken, very exciting!

There is absolutely no reason why it can't be exciting. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

There is absolutely no reason why it can't be exciting. IMO

Herbs and spices would have negligible impact on the calorie count but make the chicken much nicer. Maybe stuff it with some low fat Philadelphia and chopped spinach.

My latest pic, Beef and Smithwicks Stew:
    Beef_Stew_07_07_2012.jpg
    Photo taken just before it went in the oven. Getting great use of my new casserole dish.

Loosely based on a Jamie Oliver recipe with carrots, parsnip, turnip, onion, parsley and rosemary.

The recipe called for 3 hours in the oven but it was drying out with over an hour to go so I topped it up with a quarter bottle of Pinot Grigio.

I also made a start on my patio garden. Should finish sowing tonight. Tis a bit late in the season but I should get some crop before the summer is out.

hardCopy wrote: »

The recipe called for 3 hours in the oven but it was drying out with over an hour to go so I topped it up with a quarter bottle of Pinot Grigio.

people might balk at the idea but I often mix beer and wine in a dish as well.
    Only last week when cooking a lamb stew in brown ale, I felt it needed a bit of acidity, so added in some white wine also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Made a nice pasta sauce with some smoked polish sausage, garlic, onion, a little dried chilli, white wine, tinned tomatoes and some fresh basil and parsley.

Mixed it through some penne and topped with parmesan.

Only took about 30 minutes and tasted great!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=13379

Dinner was nice.
    1z6xgd5.jpg

Oh. Hello.
    It was herring, which is sold slightly steam smoked. It is then either grilled, bbq'd or fried off in the pan.

nqdbb8.jpg

300b98j.jpg

I had it grilled with spuds and a butter/lemon/parsley sauce.
    av3c4z.jpg

Floured, pan fried, then baked John Dory...

DSC01686rs.jpg

Served with fennel, pea and mint risotto; carrot and fennel slaw.

DSC01687rs.jpg

risotto was a tad undercooked but twas all very tasty all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Irish stew for a miserable day...

088.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've just had my family here in Switzerland on hols & they've left me with a fridge full of food that I need to get through on my own. Tonight was a frittata-type effort, with garlic, scallions, cherry tomatoes, red pepper & smoked bacon.

Sorry, no pics - I was starving & demolished it before I thought of posting about it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Looks like we all got a craving for fish.

Panfried seabass with garlic and spinach rice.

fish_6.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement