Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Saturday was home made italian sausages with penne & mozzeralla bake.
    Sunday was roast leg of lamb with an aubergine & tomato bake and spuds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Couscous with lightly cooked veg and lots of garlic. Simple but delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

chicken & red pepper, in a white wine, cream and barlauch sauce, served with pasta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lamb cutlets coated with Dijon mustard and brown sugar and grilled - with roasted tomatoes, onions and new potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast beef & all the trimmings on Sunday. Family all taken ill while dinner being prepared. I ate loads of beef sandwiches & made them a hearty soup from the roasted veg.

• Advertisement

Today, I had a goat stew, with some risotto and a side-salad.

I can't take credit for this one though...I was eating out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grilled sausages, streaky rashers, tomatoes, a fried egg, a couple of slices of bread & a mug of tea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stuffed loin of pork with all the trimmings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nasi goreng. Boiled a whole chicken in water with lemongrass, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and lime leaves. Have now got highly flavoured stock - used some chicken with prawns and ham in a nasi goreng, tomorrow might make a hot and spicy soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Chicken Curry & Fried Rice around 5pm followed by a chicken fillet burger with garlic & cheese fries around midnight after a few scoops.

2345302230_9117fb30b7_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Minder wrote: »
    Saturday was home made italian sausages with penne & mozzeralla bake.

Minder would you have a recipe for this? It sounds lovely. Thanks!

jessie1 wrote: »
    Minder would you have a recipe for this? It sounds lovely. Thanks!

The pasta bit goes like this

Boil some penne until al-dente.
    Cook down some blitzed tinned tomatoes with garlic and a few basil leaves.
    A whole onion can be added to the sauce if you like.
    Add the sauce to the penne, then tip into a lasagne dish.
    Tear the mozzarella into bits and scatter over the penne.
    Grate parmasean over the top and bake in the oven 180 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

The sausages were made by mincing 2 Kg of belly pork. I have a spice mix from Sausagemakers.org for italian sausages, 60g of that to the mix. iirc it was 200g of rusk and 100g of water. The whole lot was mixed and allowed to sit for about 6 hours before stuffing into hog casings.

I fried a couple of sausages to get a bit of colour before putting in the oven with the pasta dish for 12 minutes.

Last night was Thai chicken curry with jasmine rice, noodles with prawns and veggies in a roast chilli & garlic sauce.

This evening, we had cottage pie and salad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On Good Friday in keeping with the 'no meat' tradition, I made a fish pie. I poached some fresh cod, a little smoked cod and some salmon in milk with sliced onions. I then thickened this with a roux, seasoned it and baked it in a dish covered with creamy mash. It was gorgeous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^ Hehe we had the exact same except with haddock and prawns added also *nyom nyom*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Fillet steak cooked in garlic butter on a bed of cheesy mashed potatoes, with delicious cheese and onion crisps (those fancy kind, forget the name) with green peppers on top.

Really was delicious.

abcd0001ld7.th.jpg

Good friday was spiced lamb and tandoori chicken done on the barbecue (no meat? no chance) with baba ganouche, roasted pepper salad, home made houmous and various other sides. Saturday was leftovers from Friday. Sunday was rosemary marinated steaks on the barbecue with the last of the baba ganouche and pepper salad, and a couple of loaves of home-made herb bread. Monday was Sunday's leftovers.

Tonight was a Panang fish curry using a whole red snapper I picked up at the market for a song. Went binge supply buying today, so lots of cooking to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sunday was braised lamb shanks with a garlic spud mash. Followed by Choc biscuit cake, totally yum!

Yesterday was roast rib of beef, carrots and caeser salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yesterday I had stir-fried vegetables (peppers, broccoli, asparagus, mange tout, pak choi) in a curry sauce (natural youghurt, chopped tomatoes, spices) with boiled white rice coloured with turmeric.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was a baked salmon in puff pastry, stuffed with blush tomatoes, capers, black olives and piquillo peppers. Roast tomato sauce and spuds.

Tonight will be rib roast because we didn't cook it on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We had smoked haddock risotto last night. I'm spoiled at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I make a couple of home made pizzas.
    Didn't have any yeast so just did a quick base, one had bacon,onion and mixed peppers. the other one was a spicy (tex/mex style) mince beef and cheese.

Chinese style beef curry

Had people over.

Made beef rendang, lemongrass scented coconut rice, chicken satay skewers with home-made peanut sauce and sweet soy and lime dipping sauce and stir fried bok choy with garlic and chili.

Was very happy to be able to include almost all optional ingredients that I normally have to leave out - e.g. galangal, a whole nutmeg freshly powdered rather than pre-grated stuff - after my big excursion to the asian supermarket. Worked nicely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Experimented with making our own pizza this evening. Used an upturned baking tray as my "pizza stone" worked quite well. Just have to get the timings right. First one was underdone, second was overdone but the third was good.

Dough seemed to be good but I would like some tips on getting it thinner, I tried rolling it but it kept springing back. I ended up stretching it out by hand, anyone know an easier way to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Experimented with making our own pizza this evening. Used an upturned baking tray as my "pizza stone" worked quite well. Just have to get the timings right. First one was underdone, second was overdone but the third was good.

Dough seemed to be good but I would like some tips on getting it thinner, I tried rolling it but it kept springing back. I ended up stretching it out by hand, anyone know an easier way to do it?

I usually roll it, leave it for about ten minutes and then roll again. It's much easier to roll it the second time. I can never stretch it by hand because I end up poking holes in it!

Chilli con Carne in tortilla wraps with grated cheese, sour cream, lettuce and a salsa that included avocado, tomato, green chilli, lime juice and coriander.

Chicken curry.

• Advertisement

Made a sichuan dish - salt-fried pork. Thin slices of pork belly (I took the skin off) stir fried with chili bean paste, fermented black beans and a dash of soy. I added slices of green pepper and some pak choi and served wtih boiled rice. It's described as "salty, beany and a little bit hot" and that's precisely what it was - and hugely more-ish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement