Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight I cooked fresh fish for the first time in my life! Bought sea bass fillets, dusted them in seasoned flour and pan-fried. Served with a lovely fresh tomato salsa and roasted herby baby potatoes. The fish might look a little over-cooked, but it didn't taste it at all :)

3fJfQl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Those potatoes look glorious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    Tonight I cooked fresh fish for the first time in my life!
    <pic snipped>

Easy innit?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today I wandered into my local butchers to pick up a few chicken breasts (trying to be healthy, for shame) and my eyes were dragged towards some of the most glorious striploin I have ever seen in a butcher shop.
    Behold, McSully's 28 day dry aged striploin.

rawqz.jpg

I cooked it med-rare on a griddle pan (was aiming for rare but got distracted for a few seconds by the stupid dogs!!!) and served it with a quick cracked pepper pan sauce and roast sagey baby potatos and some green beans I tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette.

finyn.jpg

Not the prettiest plate of food I've ever made, but it was yummy.

Ate a big chunk of it sans sauce and was only putting the sauce on when I remembered to take a photo of the finished steak.
    Rest assured those griddle marks were ever more impressive nude :P.

BTW, the plate in the first photo was a saucer not a dinner plate, incase anyone was wondering how the hell a striploin could be that big!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

Spicy steak and cheese, with chilli mayonnaise on Mediterranean flatbread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Grilled pork chop with Salsa Rossa and mash - should have used the grill pan and not the actual grill for visual purposes. Baby leaf and cherry tomato salad not pictured!

Presentation leaves a lot to be desired but even the kids loved it :D

Oddly enough, my very first time ever eating a pork chop :o

porkchop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

johngalway wrote: »

Get off the bus!!! You Jewish? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy cooked a thai yellow curry for last night's dinner. It was delish. Quite spicy, but even the kids lashed into it. She added pineapple to it & I am not a fan of fruit in savoury dishes, but have to say that the sweetness of the fruit was a really good match for the spicyness, sourness & heat of the curry.

Lol no, just never had them before, don't know why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lol no, just never had them before, don't know why!

Pork chops these days are pretty tame. A few years ago they used to come with the rind still on and great big layers of fat that was delicious. Bloody health brigade..... :(

Pork chops these days are pretty tame. A few years ago they used to come with the rind still on and great big layers of fat that was delicious. Bloody health brigade..... :(

Buy a couple of pigs and raise your own :D That's one of my plans but it's a while off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Grilled pork chop with Salsa Rossa and mash - should have used the grill pan and not the actual grill for visual purposes. Baby leaf and cherry tomato salad not pictured!

Presentation leaves a lot to be desired but even the kids loved it :D

Ah John, fancy seeing you here:D Shouldn't it be lamb chops you're eating!

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Ah John, fancy seeing you here:D Shouldn't it be lamb chops you're eating!

They're a bit on the young side yet, I like'em tender n all but that would be ridiculous :D Rather an addictive forum this one ;)

Got home made wedges in the oven, seasoned chicken breasts waiting to go on the grill pan, then am cheating with some packet stir fry veg :D

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/chicken/pages/grilledchickenwithpotatowedgesandstirfryvegetables.aspx

That's what I made for tonights dinner, herselfs youngest was sick so forgot to take photos :o

I wasn't sure about the wedges, imagined them turning out hard on the inside but in fairness they were lovely! Next time I'll use more paprika and sea salt, I think I went a bit easy on both.

The lemon flavour stayed with the chicken wonderfully through cooking, gave them a good seasoning with salt and black pepper and used the grill pan tonight which worked a treat.

Everyone praised it, so I'm not only happy but full to the gills as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Halloumi & merguez skewers
    Before

jihl3l.jpg

Grilled, with couscous and garlicky yoghurt

35mjmfq.jpg

Not Dinner but today for lunch I was extremely lazy.
    I had a breast of chicken I bought 2 days ago sitting in a butchers bag and wanted to use it up today, don't know if I'll be here for dinner and didn't want to waste it so I decided I'd do a wee fridge/cupboard raid and see what I could wrangle up without putting effort in and still have a nice meal.

Found some garlic, few finger chillis, a red pepper, an onion and some mushrooms, the vegetation have been sourced.

Next I need to make a sauce.
    I didn't want to open any jars, I didn't want to defrost anything and I didn't want to actually make any effort.
    My first thought was "soy, honey, saft pepper, boom" but I dismissed that idea, too easy, too boring, too something I had last week...
    I found a tub of natural peanut butter, the stuff thats like jsut peanuts and peanut oil, you get it in healthyfood stores etc, good stuff.
    I though to myself "peanut butter, soy, fish sauce, little water, boom" and was going to go down that route and make a sort of cheaters peanut saute sauce for my little meal, the idea appealed to me me greatly, but for whatever reason, I didn't.

I noticed a bottle of Levi Root's Regge-Regge jerk/BBQ sauce, I often enjoy it on some chicken thighs on the charcoal grill, it's good stuff.

In my head I thought, scothcbonnet based sauce, peanuts, what could go wrong?

It was born.

I sweated the onion, chilli, garlic, mushrooms and red pepper in a sauce pan until soft and a little coloured, I added mu chicken and cooked until I had a little colour. In a bowl I put a heaped desert spoon of peanut butter and about 1.5 times as much regge-regge sauce and mixed it with a fork, it looked weird because it didn't emulsify but I knew it would when I heated it. I added a little water to slacked it out a little too, otherwise between the stickiness of the sauce and the dryness of the PB I knew it would be very very thick.

The end result was, to even my surprise, pretty bloody nice.
    Would I eat it every day? No.
    Will I make it again? Yes, yes I will.

It looks a bit brown due to ingredients used and bad phone camera but rest assured it had a little more colour than the picture implies.
    put it on some basmatti and job's a goodun.

Total time = 10 mins, was able to cook it all in the time it took to cook the rice, so all in all, a simple, quick, pretty decent meal using up chicken, mushrooms and a pepper which wouldn't have lasted another day anyway!

mmmik.jpg

:D:DLamb burgers (cooked a little pink on the gas BBQ), ciabatta buns, hummus, rocket and a few mint leaves, mixed chopped olives, jalapenos (red ones).
    No chips, wedges, salad, nothing - just two tidy sized burgers all for me!!

DSC01753rs.jpg

Lamb burgers (cooked a little pink on the gas BBQ), ciabatta buns, hummus, rocket and a few mint leaves, mixed chopped olives, jalapenos (red ones).

Looks lovely, hope that was good Connemara lamb now :D

Oh wow ! I can almost take the food out of the photo. :cool:

• Advertisement

Looks lovely, hope that was good Connemara lamb now :D

I hope not - I like locally sourced, wherever I am.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

First ever roast I cooked by myself, it was YUM! My parents never want any herbs or roast veg and roast all the goodness out of everything so I was happy to have my herby, medium rare beef, even if it was a little tough :)

din.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

10 minute meal

stirfry.jpg

noodles
    beef strips
    1 pepper
    half onion
    spring onions
    few slices tomato
    oils and honey

Capellini Puttanesca

35co9ck.jpg

2llbn2v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Enchiladas with home made tortillas & chili gravy, stuffed with minced beef, coriander, cheese & cherry tomatoes. Was lovely although a couple of boo-boos with wrong masa purchased & slack measurement of chili into chili gravy (was still lovely but burn-y, even for my chili loving palate). Also saw the amount of salt on the recipe for the masa dough & chili gravy & thought 'hmmm...' but didn't listen to instinct & was very salty. Be better next time!

1342812033005.jpg?t=13429098531342814497504.jpg?t=1342909626

Buffalo wings.
    Had some carrot sticks (don't like celery) and hummus to fool myself into thinking it's a balanced meal.

DSC01754rs.jpg

Quesadillas containing loadsa cheese, spicy chicken, chorizo, roast veg. With a tomato salsa. Bib required. ;)

2a4y7ms.jpg

15q25c6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

548207_10151392690389657_2146768075_n.jpg

Home made ravioli. Made from 00 flour, cream cheese, garlic, thyme, basil, parsley and chives. Coated in semolina and served with melted butter.

They were very delicious but I'm not sure they are worth the considerable effort you have to put in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had smoked mackerel (fondly referred to as s'mack) yesterday evening which was extra special because I line caught the fish myself which was then lovingly smoked using oak wood chips by my better half. It was absolutely delish. For the dressing I simply mixed creme freche with horseradish, lemon juice and black pepper....nyum!

Smack_supper_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Large thin steak, flash fried in sesame oil, with stir fried veg. Couldn't eat the whole thing but gave it a good shot.

steakjuly2012.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement