Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Kohlrabi from the garden

2ziakyf.jpg

Sauteed with a bit of cream added near the end. Served with potato and sweet potato mash and a shop bought schnitzel.

5vins.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had pork tenderloin stuffed with black pudding, sausage meat, onion and breadcrumbs, seasoned with basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Served it with new Wexford potatoes.

See these ?
    eitqba.jpg

It's what happens if you turn your back on your courgettes for half an hour.:D
    From the extreem large one I made soup.

From the 'smaller' one I used half to make stuffed marrow.
    Stuffed with minced beef & pork, sauteed onions & garlic, chorizo, herbs and spices. In the oven (200°C) for about 45 mins then added a simple tomato sauce on top. Back in the oven for 15 mins. Some slices of provolone cheese on top.

5bnwgy.jpg

Served with rice

wklbu9.jpg

Obviously we couldn't eat it all, so my mum is going to be a happy bunny again.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had an Indian supper this evening which was rather tasty!

Made Bombay Potatoes

Bombay_Potatoes_thumb_1.jpg

with Tandoori Chicken

Tandoori_Chicken_thumb.jpg

Can someone please tell me how to add a decent size image on this forum? It won't work for me!! Cheers

I can click your pictures and they show up larger then, in a new window.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh good thanks LaChatteGitane! Had difficulty uploading them so thanks for letting me know! :)
    PS - your food looks sublime by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I flattened some chicken breasts, put them in brine overnight, and then dipped them in egg and then seasoned flower (salt, pepper, paprika, chilli powder, mustard powder) and panfried them. Served with mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy. The brining really does keep the chicken moist.

214564.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

See these ?

It's what happens if you turn your back on your courgettes for half an hour.:D

I did something similar with marrows a friend gave me in the UK. If they get too big, however, they're essentially useless as anything except vehicles for cooking moist stuffing. The contents will be tasty but the courgette/marrow around it will be stringy and tough.

Haven't done much cooking recently. Was in Fiji. /gloat

I did something similar with marrows a friend gave me in the UK. If they get too big, however, they're essentially useless as anything except vehicles for cooking moist stuffing. The contents will be tasty but the courgette/marrow around it will be stringy and tough.

Haven't done much cooking recently. Was in Fiji. /gloat

You lucky so and so. Fiji ! I bet it was great.

This marrow wasn't tough and stringy at all, though. It looses the nutty flavour of young courgettes, but it still had a nice and delicate taste, which worked well in contrast to the highly flavoured stuffing.
    It helps if you put them in the oven. Everything tastes good when it has been in the oven. :D

In fairness the beast-vegetables I was presented with were about four times the size of the ones you used, judging by your photos. :)

And Fiji was FANTASTIC. In the spirit of this thread, if you want to know what I had for dinner for most of the last 10 days, it was lobster eight ways. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In fairness the beast-vegetables I was presented with were about four times the size of the ones you used, judging by your photos. :)

And Fiji was FANTASTIC. In the spirit of this thread, if you want to know what I had for dinner for most of the last 10 days, it was lobster eight ways. :)

:(

Banned.

:pac:

Recipes or descriptions of the eight ways or it didn't happen.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Spicy vegetarian Nachos
    Nachos.jpg

Grilled chicken, chorizo and roasted red pepper salad
    grilledchickensalad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Homemade sweet and sour chicken tonight. Quick and very tasty!

214631.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/beef/pages/singaporebeefwithspinach.aspx

That's what I made for dinner tonight. I'm not going to make it again, no one liked it :( The only thing I didn't like about it was the meat was chewy :o

Another mistake I made :o was to use the last of my first early spuds to make wedges, that wasn't a good idea. The roosters I used last week turned out much, much better!

Prep...

20120725_155338.jpg

I was half way through my plate when I remembered to take a pic :o

20120725_181812.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

johngalway wrote: »
    http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/beef/pages/singaporebeefwithspinach.aspx

That's what I made for dinner tonight. I'm not going to make it again, no one liked it :( The only thing I didn't like about it was the meat was chewy :o

Another mistake I made :o was to use the last of my first early spuds to make wedges, that wasn't a good idea. The roosters I used last week turned out much, much better!

Prep...

I was half way through my plate when I remembered to take a pic :o

What cut of meat did you use ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Homemade sweet and sour chicken tonight.

That looks nice,is the sauce made from scratch or an uncle bens jobby

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Kev. wrote: »
    That looks nice,is the sauce made from scratch or an uncle bens jobby

Ta

Was very tasty alright. Done from scratch using this recipe (and on thread suggestions). I had no sherry so used rice wine instead. For veggies I used carrots, red pepper and red onion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Overflow wrote: »
    What cut of meat did you use ?

I went all out and used Aldi "diced steak" which was possibly the wrong thing to do!

Recipes or descriptions of the eight ways or it didn't happen.:p

Up to this trip, I'd only ever had lobster in something like a chinese restaurant, and when I had it my general impression was that it was strong and rubbery.

On the island I was staying on (a 4-5 hour ferry from Nadi) we were offered reef lobster, fresh caught that day for the most part.

It was always served having already been decanted from the shell, but it was never rubbery and it was more rich than strong. Couple of nights were whole lobster tail - one day it was on wilted greens (a variation of pak choi, a local vegetable that was like a chinese kale - very nice) with a herb crust, which was an excellent mix of herbs and breadcrumbs. Another night it was on mashed pumpkin with a garlic crust which was breadcrumbs and garlic butter and parmesan. I couldn't finish all of that one, it was just too rich. (Plenty of helpers at the table I can tell you!)

Every so often they'd do a 'leftover' type dish, so one night was lobster meat tossed with spaghetti in a white wine and garlic cream sauce.

I found it rich and buttery for the most part, and when it's hot it has quite a melt in your mouth effect.

...I did not come home from this holiday any slimmer than when I went on it, in spite of swimming and snorkelling for hours every day. :D

• Advertisement

I'm salivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sirlion

Last night I made a Chicken/Chorizo type 'Paella'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The first pic is from a few weeks ago in the Canaries, we made prawns in onion, chilli and garlic oil with fresh bread and mixed meat kebabs done on a coal bbq. We ate it all between two :o

The secound pic is from yesterday, a selection of Jamaican Jerk ribs and USA style bbq ribs with a cob and homemade chips :D

*Edit: These were bacon ribs which I changed the water out of 3 times to get rid of the salt, and replaced with cajun spice and black pepper, just wondering would most butchers carry regular spare or prime ribs with no marinades? I havn't seen them in any supermarkets and don't remember seeing them in any butchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Well The Sweeper is now on my ignore list, lovely.

Last night was chicken wings and garlic bread, super lazy. Tonight will be Thai red curry with tons of mushrooms because I need to eat them before they rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    just wondering would most butchers carry regular spare or prime ribs with no marinades? I havn't seen them in any supermarkets and don't remember seeing them in any butchers?

Yes, any decent butcher will have pork ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The first pic is from a few weeks ago in the Canaries, we made prawns in onion, chilli and garlic oil with fresh bread and mixed meat kebabs done on a coal bbq. We ate it all between two :o

The secound pic is from yesterday, a selection of Jamaican Jerk ribs and USA style bbq ribs with a cob and homemade chips :D

*Edit: These were bacon ribs which I changed the water out of 3 times to get rid of the salt, and replaced with cajun spice and black pepper, just wondering would most butchers carry regular spare or prime ribs with no marinades? I havn't seen them in any supermarkets and don't remember seeing them in any butchers?

Try Brady's in Fairview, last time I went there to get Pork Belly he brought out half a pig carcass and cut the belly off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Now this is not anything special, but jasus it was damn tasty !!

Just get two slices of bread and put the following between, jalapeno peppers, hot salsa, cheese, sliced ham :) I usually put cheese on both sides to seal it all in.

The throw a lump of margarine or whatever you prefer into a frying pan and slowly fry each side. Magic :)

photoedu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night, Chicken and cunchy vegetable stir fry with sautéed potatoes.
    1343727500754.jpg

Saturday BBQ lunch, Homemade Turkey Burgers with freshly cut home-grown lettuce and rocket and Jim Beam Salsa Rosa. First harvest from my mini-garden.
    1343727170071.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Shoulder of lamb with the usual auld stuff you'd have on the side. Oh, incase you didnt know, i like my gravy :cool:

IMAG0431.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken korma, spiced aubergine and basmati rice.

DSC01759rs.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement