Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Bratwurst, potato salad and some other salad (from last night).

216385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I've always wanted to make my own pasta, so finally got some 00 flour and finally bit the bullet! It turned out a little bit thicker than I'd hoped, but still very tasty.

Served it with a tomato, basil and mozzerela sauce:

pastadinner1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight for dinner we had sirloin steak, spinach and baby potatoes.

It was scrumptious, although I would have liked my steak cooked a little more than it was, I like it medium or well done, but tonight it was rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

The verdict is in. Not surprisingly I have too high blood sugar levels. I had my suspicions. But nothing that can't be solved by adjusting the diet and curbing my overindulgence.

Tonight I grilled fillet of chicken, roasted potato and sweet potato, yellow courgette sauteed with some of the salsa cruda that was left from the other night.

e7e0c8.jpg

3486a9x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Spent alot of the morning undertaking the messy and fun task of making homemade fishcakes from self caught fish, which I have just enjoyed with homemade salsa and ramen noodles, with a non gourmet blob of cheap burger sauce on the side.

qo9m6s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The last of the curry from the other night with steamed sugar snap peas and basmati.

was only lovely.

okswb8.jpg

I was on the prawns again today :D. With sauteed fennel (with loadsa garlic and lemon juice), potato in the skin (nuked) and a smallish dollop of sour cream.

pbt37.jpg

Carb free day today.
    Pork tenderloin (fillet) with sauteed onion, GARLIC, mushrooms and red pepper.

10palno.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Carb free day today.
    Pork tenderloin (fillet) with sauteed onion, GARLIC, mushrooms and red pepper.

Ooh, could you tell me how you cooked the tenderloin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I had a t-bone with slices of raw onion & thick slices of crusty bread for mopping up the gravy I made from the juices.

Tonight was 1/2 roast chicken with a salad of rocket, cucumber, red onion & cherry tomatoes in a balsamic dressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

After a long day in work with only a banana for sustenance, I pigged out on fillet steak cooked rare seasoned with a dash of my favourite hot sauce and a small mountain of steamed potatos and cabbage with butter and black pepper respectively, washed down with a bottle of hobgoblin, no pics, no time :D

Tonight's dinner was roast lamb, new potatoes and vegetable with gravy.

Yesterday for dinner we went to Captain Americas on Grafton St and I was very disappointed with my food.

I went for the two course meal for €14 euros. I decided on hot and spicy wings, the wings were hot from the oven, but nowhere near spicy. There was a horrible strong taste of vinegar on the wings, which I wasn't happy with considering I dislike vinegar anyway.

For mains I decided on a pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms, and I wasn't able to eat the pizza. It was very sweet and inedible in my opinion anyway.

Complained to the manager about my food and luckily she only charged me €3 for the wings, I would have been very unhappy to pay €14 euros for food I couldn't eat most of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

A trusty pork chop, chorizo & chicken risotto and peas.. Heh.

0ef48ba1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night I was treated to a birthday trip to The Green Hen, I had a cassoulet of chicken, white beans, chorizo and red pepper. Smashingly good stuff.

This evening I made pizza on my new pizza stone, another birthday present.

IMG_20120812_214934-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Boiled baby new potatoes, fried peppers, onions, mushrooms and chicken, then threw the potatoes into the wok with them, mixed in a few spoons of mango chutney and cooked on a low heat for a few minutes. Plated - well, bowled - then poured curry sauce over them (red curry paste, coconut milk and a bit of tomato puree to thicken it a bit). Tasty!

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Ooh, could you tell me how you cooked the tenderloin?

A drop of sunflower oil heated in the pan. Tenderloin seasoned with a little salt and black pepper.
    Drop into pan and brown the meat. Add a cm3 butter to the pan.
    A splash of water and a lid on top will prevent it from burning. Lower the heat and cook for 10 more minutes or so (I never time my cooking, I just play it by eye and gut feeling :o)
    Leave to rest before slicing and serving.

If I had cooked this last week I would have just cooked it in m3 of butter, but as of last Friday I have been very careful with calories and carbs due to a health scare. I definitely could do with losing a few kilos around my waist line.

Today we (OH and I) will be fasting - tomorrow too. 500 cal for me 600 for himself.
    I've made us some sushi with the tiniest amount of rice I could get away with.
    Pics to follow.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

m3 of Butter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

A drop of sunflower oil heated in the pan. Tenderloin seasoned with a little salt and black pepper.
    Drop into pan and brown the meat. Add a cm3 butter to the pan.
    A splash of water and a lid on top will prevent it from burning. Lower the heat and cook for 10 more minutes or so (I never time my cooking, I just play it by eye and gut feeling :o)
    Leave to rest before slicing and serving.

Great, thanks!

I've always wanted to cook tenderloin but I've heard horror stories about it coming out dry unless you stuff it (and even if you stuff) because it's so lean. How would this keep for a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great, thanks!

I've always wanted to cook tenderloin but I've heard horror stories about it coming out dry unless you stuff it (and even if you stuff) because it's so lean. How would this keep for a few days?

It will be very dry if it is even a bit overcooked but lovely if done right - give it a go - they're not very expensive and even dried up is still edible. You'll get it right eventually!

Twould keep fine for a few days in the fridge.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    m3 of Butter :D

;)
    Great, thanks!

I've never had it turn out dry, but then I never overcook it. I don't even mind if there's still the slightest hint of pink.
    You can do the finger test like for steak http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/activity-fingertest.html

And don't forget to let it rest before slicing and serving. The liquid that's left in the pan you can reduce and spoon over the meat before serving.

You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, no problem. Just use a suitable container with lid. Reheating can turn the meat dry, obviously.

You could also slice it when raw, wrap in clingfilm seperately and freeze. Pan fry the sliced tenderloin like steak. Same applies here : rest before serving. :)

• Advertisement

My afternoon sushi snack. Don't worry, I have plenty more for dinner ;)

10yqt8o.jpg

And my fruit portion for the day.

e9hwms.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lentil bolognaise on a bed of skinny noodles.

YA5k0.jpg

Baked poha cakes, recipe kinda made up. Came from this http://indianfood.about.com/od/sidesandsalads/r/poha.htm but used an egg to bind and made them into cakes.

LQf7V.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

20120813_195711.jpg

Thai yellow curry with pork, potato and mixed veg.

I got the curry paste from a local Asian shop. Might use a bit less paste next time. It was really spicy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Chicken enchiladas with Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese, chile verde sauce, Spanish rice, and a rather unfortunately unphotogenic side of refried black beans...

large.jpg

Duck breast (huge Kerry duck breasts) cooked on gas BBQ medium rare then rested in a warm oven, peppered and drizzled with an aged sherry vinegar and marjoram dressing. Unfortunately, the breasts were skinned but I did get them for free:D
    Potato salad (mayonnaise free), marinated tomatoes, rocket and lettuce salad.

All the herbs, onions and leaves from the garden.
    Hopefully tomatoes before too long!

rs_3.jpg

yekahS wrote: »
    http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh566/yekahs/20120813_195711.jpg

Thai yellow curry with pork, potato and mixed veg.

I got the curry paste from a local Asian shop. Might use a bit less paste next time. It was really spicy.
    Looks delicious, can you post the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Duck breast (huge Kerry duck breasts) cooked on gas BBQ medium rare then rested in a warm oven, peppered and drizzled with an aged sherry vinegar and marjoram dressing. Unfortunately, the breasts were skinned but I did get them for free:D
    Potato salad (mayonnaise free), marinated tomatoes, rocket and lettuce salad.

All the herbs, onions and leaves from the garden.
    Hopefully tomatoes before too long!

Looks yum, do you mind me asking what did you use for the potato salad?

Looks yum, do you mind me asking what did you use for the potato salad?

The wet ingredients were: a little homemade vinaigrette, some mustard (Dijon) and a good dollop of Greek style yoghurt (Lidl).
    Dry ingredients: red onion, fresh chives, fresh flat leaf parsley, fresh thyme, cooked baby new potatoes - quartered.
    Salt and pepper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

veggie spag bol with homemade tomato sauce, with a side of wonderful garlic mushrooms

A big bowl of fruit salad with greek yogurt for dessert.

I tasted peach for the first time last night :o it wasnt as horrible as i thought i was going to be. it definately eat it again if it is hidden yogurt :o

• Advertisement

Carrot & celeriac soup (I ate 1 liter during the day)
    s2dtgk.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement