Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner tonight was striploin steaks with new potatoes and beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been meaning to make this for a couple of years now and only got around to it today. The only changes I made were that I added some tamarind extract and a little sugar. I also added salt (the recipe was missing any salt or salty ingredients - I tried it without but it definitely needed salt)

Very, very tasty and enough for tomorrow's dinner too (I almost doubled the recipe - but don't do this unless you have a very big non stick pan).

Thanks, Minder;)

rs_4.jpg

Beef Rendang again, this time with mange tout from my sisters garden - and rice. It's true, it is even nicer the next day.
    Thought a second pic was a bit superfluous .

Tonight's dinner was homemade vegetable soup.

I put carrots, onion, potatoes, mushrooms, ginger, one red chili, garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh mint, spinach, sweetcorn, chicken stock cube, dried sage, dried parsley and paprika.

It had a nice spicy kick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was spaghetti with walnuts and a creamy gorgonzola sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Sauteed chicken fillet with a warm broccoli/red pepper salad with a lime/garlic dressing, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.
    The broccoli was turning a bit yellow so it doesn't look good, but it tasted great.

16bmteo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sauteed chicken fillet with a warm broccoli/red pepper salad with a lime/garlic dressing, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.
    The broccoli was turning a bit yellow so it doesn't look good, but it tasted great.

I'm hungry now. That looks lovely, well done.

My lasagne, made with courgettes instead of pasta. Tsk. :rolleyes:
    It tasted more like a moussaka, because I added some lamb mince to it. :D Great flavours, though.
    It looks like it has split, but that was the mixture of ricotta and egg that I used instead of cheesy béchamel sauce.

242d9oy.jpg

And the dessert. Halved nectarine, caramelised (just a tad) with a scoop of quark.

34yviu8.jpg

Hake fillet lightly done on the gas BBQ with lemon and thyme butter, lemon scented cabbage and fried up cooked baby new potatoes.
    Nice, haven't had fish in a while!

rs_5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Fish for me also. Plaice on ramen noodles with fried ginger, jalepenos and side salad

t0pw5v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Kung Pao Chicken with stir-fried medley of veg and rice.
    Discarded photos I took as they looked woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chicken stew. Flavourful broth, chicken pieces cooked bone-in and skin-on but stripped and shredded in the pot before being put in the bowl. Mire poix to start with clarified butter, add garlic and chicken pieces, water, then barley and puy lentils, salt, pepper and parsley along with cubed potatoes. Result is a rich, golden broth with spoonable vegetables. Serve with fresh, crusty sourdough with a spread of creamy butter.

Grilled (gas BBQ) free range pork chops; beer, wine thyme reduction; grilled tomatoes, fried polenta, runner beans.

rs_6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Hi, I've started to feel like a bit of a stalker on this thread over the past few months. I've got some great ideas from you all for for dinner and feel it's about time i started posting some pics. So last night we had carbonara thanks to the cookery club with the added addition of some onion, along with some garlic ciabatta.

Not dinner, but lunch.
    A salad with lettuce, red pepper, mild chilli pepper,cucumber, yellow and red tomatoes - all from the garden - a caramelised nectarine, stem ginger and mustard dressing and left over chicken fillet.

2dtndpx.jpg

In the evening we went to a BBQ at my brother's. My sis in law definitely needs to put more flavour in her salads (and I don't mean salt). The meats were all bought pre-marinated (ie all looked and tasted the same) .
    In the end it doesn't really matter, I love her all the same. :cool:

For him (that's the OH)
    Salmon, leeks, potatoes, chilli, garlic and cherry toms en papillotte

14uesrq.jpg
    10qb3mq.jpg

For her (that's me)
    Steamed mussels with onion, fennel, garlic, chilli and cherry toms

fc64vp.jpg

Tonight's dinner was roast pork loin, spinach and baby potatoes.

Got a grand piece of loin in SuperValu for E3.75, cut it into two pieces, so it will do for two or three dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Home made Tagliatelle with Bolognese Ragu:

217701.jpg

It's a fast day today.

I had this for dinner. Lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, non spicy chilli :rolleyes:, yellow toms, cherry toms, basil (all from the garden) and grilled halloumi, a drizzle of balsamico, salt flakes and loads black pepper.

294nblc.jpg

29xu3bq.jpg

Whoa. It was good. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It's a fast day today.

I had this for dinner. Lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, non spicy chilli :rolleyes:, yellow toms, cherry toms, basil (all from the garden) and grilled halloumi, a drizzle of balsamico, salt flakes and loads black pepper.

Whoa. It was good. :cool:

Its amazing that your garden veg looks like a Marks and Spencers ad, I didn't know food could even look that good!

• Advertisement

Osso bucco with risotto bianco. The shin bones were nearly two inches thick and full of delicious soft marrow.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Its amazing that your garden veg looks like a Marks and Spencers ad, I didn't know food could even look that good!
    That really made my day. :D Thanks.
    Minder wrote: »
    Osso bucco with risotto bianco. The shin bones were nearly two inches thick and full of delicious soft marrow.
    Oh fantastic, I love, love, love osso bucco. It's been a while since I had some. Especially love the marrow.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Mammy's best dinner: roast chicken, ham. Boiled potatoes, carrots, stuffing, gravy and a big dollop of real butter - bliss :D

Roast chicken with vegetables and gravy for us last night.

Looks like I'm hogging this thread. Where is everybody ? :confused:

My second fast day of the week.
    Stir fry from leeks, red peppers,mushrooms, chilli, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar and tofu.

w9zdhz.jpg

I'll add my dessert too. Cavaillon melon from our greenhouse.
    2rqndde.jpg
    oq8y15.jpg

It was extremely juicy and sooo good.

Oh fantastic, I love, love, love osso bucco. It's been a while since I had some. Especially love the marrow.:)

Same here. If I could get just a large veal marrow bone, I'd be happy cooking that. More osso bucco sauce tonight with rigatoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Looks like I'm hogging this thread. Where is everybody ? :confused:

We're all intimidated by your food! There has been a bit of a drop off we seem to have lost Trackguy and Karen too.

Cooking for friends tonight though so will post up pics in the morning...if all goes well!

I really hope that that is not the case. :(
    I've seen much better food from others on this thread than I could ever concoct.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've seen much better food from others on this thread than I could ever concoct.

I doubt it's the issue (not that your food isn't lovely!). July and August are traditionally very quiet times on boards. It'll pick up again in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Your food pics are amazing....they always just look full of colour and life. Shows that healthy food isnt dull....i always try and do the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement