Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I really hope that that is not the case. :(
    I've seen much better food from others on this thread than I could ever concoct.

Don't worry I'm only kidding! I look forward to checking the thread to see what your garden has produced this time!

keep 'em coming! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I'll keep on going then ;)
    Feast day - but still without carbs.
    Tenderloin, sliced into medallions, panfried with a drop of oil.
    Cauliflower roasted with cumin, balsamico and near the end grated parmesan.
    A rustic tapenade with both green and black olives, garlic, grainy mustard, a drop of balsamico. Of course the obligatory ingredient from the garden - chilli.

2u43qsp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I just made a simple pasta dish with roasted red and yellow peppers, red onion, and chorizo with a handful of garden peas thrown on top!

Chicken cacciatore with a spoonful of yesterday's rustic olive tapenade.

2rfv534.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight's dinner is marinated roast beer chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I was feeling like something decadent tonight so I made a big gooey bacon, cheese and onion stuffed omlette. Simple, dirty and delicious! :D

2012_08_23_193252.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight's dinner is marinated roast beer chicken.

Is that like beer can chicken, or something else? Enquiring minds!

There has been very little in the way of dinner here. There's been a lot of busy instead.

Is that like beer can chicken, or something else? Enquiring minds!

There has been very little in the way of dinner here. There's been a lot of busy instead.
    It's chicken cooked on a beer bottle. It can be done on a can as well, but I've never tried that, only ever used bottles.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beer_can_chicken/

Make sure to hold the chicken/bottle for a minute after mounting the chicken on the bottle until it 'settles' as it can topple over, happened to me a few weeks ago, marinade and beer everywhere.

For the beer, you can use any beer you want, we use old speckled hen as my partner drinks it so he fills his glass with some beer and leaves the rest for the chicken.

Use a fresh chicken, don't freeze the chicken before making this, it just isn't the same as a fresh chicken. And don't take the string off the chicken, otherwise you'll end up cooking it in a pyrex dish and have to turn it a few times during the cooking process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs. Beer did pork pieces with green pepper, tofu and black beans, served with glass noodles last night.
    Mmmmmm:D

rs_7.jpg

Dinner tonight was striploin steaks, new potatoes and garlic mushrooms.

I wasn't too keen on the mushrooms, the garlic was very strong I thought, I couldn't eat more than two forkfuls.

I got them in Tesco for 1.49. I added two tablespoons of single cream to them in the pot as I thought the garlic sauce was too thin and runny.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Handy dinner in the garden one day when we had sunshine; platter with brie, mature cheddar, table water biscuits, chorizo and rocket. Big slabs of juicy melon on the side and cold lime-infused beers from the fridge.

sundaylunchplatter.jpg

Followed up by a mouthwatering and extremely decadent Kahlua cheesecake. The top layer is gelatine and espresso; the whole thing was gorgeous.

kahluacheesecake.jpg

We had a family gathering on my mother's side today. Everyone brought some food and we placed everything buffet style.
    I, am-not-right-in-the-head, made a turkey korma, raita, naan, popadums, sushi and 7 kg of chicken wings with blue cheese dip and celery. Took 10 liters of our elderflower champagne.
    I was up till 2 in the morning making small bouguets of flowers for every table.

23k6ypd.jpg

25quicl.jpg

Now I'm totally pooped. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

That is some amount of food :eek:

Cottage pie for dinner tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had duck. Breast of duck cooked in the water bath at 57c for an hour, previously made confit leg of duck, braised puy lentils, blackberry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

had chicken caesar salad tonight for dinner. Wasn't overly thrilled with my dressing, i may have added too much lemon juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night We had a super fish curry with monkfish tails, grated coconut & lovely ripe local tomatoes.

Chicken wings with garlic, pimenton, honey and sherry vinegar; braised peas with serrano ham and poached eggs; goats cheese salad; puff pastry slice with roasted tomatoes, blue cheese and rocket; white bean dip with tortillas; green olives; chilled fino sherry and a bottle of douro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Chicken Jal-Freize on Saturday, it was nice and spicy but made the sauce a bit too thick.

jalfreize.jpg

Bacon & Eggs on Sunday evening having had a big beef stew and mash for lunch!

eggs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We had a family gathering on my mother's side today. Everyone brought some food and we placed everything buffet style.
    I, am-not-right-in-the-head, made a turkey korma, raita, naan, popadums, sushi and 7 kg of chicken wings with blue cheese dip and celery. Took 10 liters of our elderflower champagne.
    I was up till 2 in the morning making small bouguets of flowers for every table.

Now I'm totally pooped. :eek:

First name on the list for all family parties I'd imagine

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    First name on the list for all family parties I'd imagine

Well, no. I just burst in, Hyacinth Bucket - style and get on with it, leaving everyone standing by gawping and dumbstruck ;)

I don't get invited to dinner parties that often :( unfortunately. But when I organise one everybody invited will fall over themselves and reorganise their schedule to make it. It's sad. Very sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Please don't quote pics in this thread.

This evening we had roast leg of lamb; persian jewelled rice; salad of griddled peaches; corn on the cob, hand picked earlier this week.

Tonight we had roast pork loin with this marinade/rub

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/26534/spicy-roast-pork-and-potatoes.aspx

I used olive oil, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon dried sage, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon hot chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, salt and pepper.

Cooked in the oven for 1.5hrs at 170°C, and left to rest for around 30minutes before being cut and served.

We had it with buttery creamy mashed potatoes and spinach.

The meat was delicious, so tender and juicy, but there was too much cumin, so the next time, I would just use a pinch of cumin, or maybe no cumin at all.

Yesterday was fast day for me, so just a light salad of celeriac ribbons and smoked salmon. Tasty nevertheless.

1217i4p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Vegetarian chilli, guacamole and sour cream. Was one of my better efforts. :)

7879556132_269ce8ddde_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rare striploin steak; runner beans; braised marrow; Thai rice; beer, tom yum and chocolate reduction.

rs_8.jpg

Yesterday (another fast day) Stuffed courgette/marrow with soy protein, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, artichoke hearts, ....

2ibonl1.jpg

Today (not for the faint hearted) sauteed lentils with onions, garlic, swiss chard, balsamico,... and chicken livers seasoned with salt and curry powder.
    I love it !

153qujr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Chicken tikka masala last night, served with naan bread, basmati rice and natural yogurt.

tikka1.jpg

As you may have guessed from the half-eaten naan on my plate and the hastily taken photograph, I was starving :pac:

• Advertisement

Dinner tonight was spinch, mashed potatoes and lamb chops.

Haagan Dazs chocolate fondant mini pots for later. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement