Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Seaneh wrote: »
    As in Celeriac? why take it out? It's a beautiful root veg.

True :) I always just took it out, dont know why i never chopped it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

peel it, chop it up like your carrots/parnsips/turnips/etc and leave it in there, it's one of my favourite root veggies, maybe my favourite.

I've a serous love for celeriac puree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Roast Lamb, vegetables and gravy tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chicken and prawn laksa from a kit. Included was laksa paste, noodles and coconut milk. I boosted the flavour with a good chicken stock, a few bashed stalks of lemon grass and some extra chilli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Lovely few evenings food.

Thursday - Homemade simple curry

Friday - Homemade pizza!

Saturday - Homemade falafel with salad and wraps

Yesterday, some dirty burgers and wings on the BBQ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Took the remainder of the cold mashed spud from last night and flattened it into a potato cake. Fried on a dry non-stick pan with a couple of rashers, and served with a poached egg (runny yolk) on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Chicken fajitas made by my 10 year old daughter

http://www.imgur.com/k0r44.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Homemade lamb burgers with mint and rosemary; served with leftover potato gratin and a feta salad. We drenched the feta in balsamic vinegar before putting it on the plate and it was delicious. Feta and lamb are perfect together, it's a new combination for me and one which I will be repeating.

Lambburgers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Chicken fajitas made by my 10 year old daughter

http://www.imgur.com/k0r44.jpeg

Mexican night here too. Fajitas with a Mexican lime soda we picked up in aldi.

Chicken kiev, boiled potatoes and a large green salad with some fried haloumi, tomato and red onion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Homemade doorstep bread, butter, and pate....amazingly satisfying after a nightmare of a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a hankering for something spicy & beefy last night, but had no particular dish in mind.

I blanched some trimmed string beans with crushed whole cloves garlic for 5-6 minutes. I gave a steak a dry rub of chinese five-spice & flash fried it in a wok & then placed the steak in a warm oven.

Then in the wok & stir fried some quartered babycorn, julienned bamboo shoots, finely sliced scallions, shredded ginger & a few green chillies. A splash each of teriyaki, soy & oyster sauce & a drop of water into the mix. I threw in the green beans & garlic (now chopped) for the last minute or two along with some shredded basil leaves.

While the green beans were heating through in the mix I finely sliced the steak & added this to the wok.

The result was delish, the presentation not so good (as usual :o).

219434.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

hardCopy wrote: »
    Mexican night here too. Fajitas with a Mexican lime soda we picked up in aldi.

The Mexican Lime soda is lovely with vodka!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

BLT sarnies with smoked bacon and lovely cherry tomatoes.

Needed something simple after arriving back from Electric Picnic for the weekend - notice the sleeping bag under the plate as I planked myself on the couch for the night :D

BLT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled chicken thighs.
    Had toast and hummus, raw carrot and rocket salad with them.

rs_10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I have been very naughty on Sunday. We had chippie chips. Only a small one mind and it tasted rank tbh. It would have been much better if I had made some myself, but then I would have eaten more of them.

Yesterday should have been one of our fast days, but seeing we've been very busy of late we had French bean salad with peppers and a homemade dressing. Chateaubriand and mushrooms.

34j9aut.jpg
    2vjnzf5.jpg

Today we fasted with this
    2a0amns.jpg
    Celeriac mash, beetroot from the garden with yesterday's dressing and quorn steak.

Last night we had striploin steak, baby spinach, onions, mushrooms and potatoes.

Tonight we are having home made burgers, chicken wings and chips.

The wings have to be used up, so I'm going to marinate them in Franks Hot Sauce with paprika and maybe use some cayenne pepper too.

I've had such an addiction to chicken wings these past few weeks, I don't know what it is with them, I could have eaten them all day every day.

Spatchcocked quails marinated in lemon juice, a little chilli powder, oregano and salt then roast in the oven for 15 minutes on a high heat. Served with jewelled quinoa.

Minder wrote: »
    Spatchcocked quails marinated in lemon juice, a little chilli powder, oregano and salt then roast in the oven for 15 minutes on a high heat. Served with jewelled quinoa.

That sounds awful good. My kind of food.

Tonight: Chicken and veg fried rice - fierce tasty due to a Faro beer jus from the chicken last night. Chinesey, chickeny, beer reductioney goodness.

rs_11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yesterday should have been one of our fast days, but seeing we've been very busy of late we had French bean salad with peppers and a homemade dressing. Chateaubriand and mushrooms.

How do you guys define feast days and fast days? (Given that it all looks marvellous and I associate fast days with, ya know, rice cakes and cottage cheese.)

Last night here was a poor dinner - there's a local place that does Fiji Curry served with a paratha and previously the flavours have been great. Chicken thighs in a spicy, tasty curry sauce that's quite watery (not a bad thing) with some rice and a good paratha. That's what it's supposed to be like. Last night it was chicken thighs in a sauce that was inedibly hot, with an old, chewy paratha that was like dwarf bread.

Moving house next week. Will be chaos.

• Advertisement

How do you guys define feast days and fast days? (Given that it all looks marvellous and I associate fast days with, ya know, rice cakes and cottage cheese.)

Hahaha :D To me they all look like fast days. On the feast days I'm still watching calorie and carb intake, come to think of it, fat intake too.

I'm missing my homemade bread and pasta, potatoes and rice so, so much. But before I introduce them into my diet again I need to be sure my blood sugar levels are down again to a healthy number.

There is information overload on t'internet and I somehow don't know what diet I am supposed to be following anymore. Been looking in the health forum here too, but different stories and opinions from as many people make my head spin. :D

Sorry for going so off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night we had a chorizo and bacon stew with butter beans, red peppers, roasted butternut squash, red onion, chopped tomatoes, green jalapenos, oregano, paprika

served with garlic bread baguettes

It was very tasty and had a nice kick to it too!

chorizogbread.jpg

Another fast day.
    From the garden this display said ratatouille
    1topbb.jpg

So that's what we had. I had it with tiger prawns and the OH with salmon.
    2ewcdip.jpg

In case anyone is wondering. That plate of food is 400 cals and a big chunk of these are from the olive oil I used. Fast days I am allowed 500 cals, the OH 600. Yipee tomorrow feast days start again. Today was a difficult day for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I tea smoked a supreme of chicken (15 minutes in the smoke, 10 more in an oven at 160c) and served it with a cold spiced couscous salad and steamed mangetout.

Was lovely :D

Home cured free range ham, mash (from my dad's garden), cabbage (from our garden), parsley sauce (parsley from our garden too).
    Ham was nice but a tad too salty - not bad for a first effort:D.

rs_12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Looks awful boring, but I swear to Saint Augustus it wasn't.. Had a dirty homemade pepper sauce with the steak.

6EC36489-5C8E-42CC-9B14-B91182322BA3-2175-0000030CB3CEED74.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a really delish dinner last night which I'm really happy with how it worked out.

Tom Yum Gung to start which I made from scratch (sorry for picture quality), I didn't have the patience to wait for it to cool down so the photo is a bit steamy!!

TomYumGung_thumb.jpg

And then I made a Thai red curry, making my own paste from scratch. Turned out really well and so quick and simple, definitely something easily rustled up from store cupboard ingredients that could be made with no hassle

ThaiGreenCurry_thumb.jpg

Tonight we are having the rest of the home made burgers.

Home cured free range ham...

What cure recipe did you use?

• Advertisement

Proper seasonal winter dish in Belgium, even if it was summery weather and I made a low carb version.
    Belgian chicory or endives, depending on whaddayacallit, sauteed, rolled in ham, with a cheese sauce and gratinated under the grill. It certainly wasn't low fat :D

11kk0uu.jpg

2qwlb1t.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement