Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'd thank that twice if I could ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

sauteed, rolled in ham, with a cheese sauce and gratinated under the grill.
    Man, a lump of styrofoam would taste good done like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

tmc86 wrote: »
    I'd thank that twice if I could ^^

Bassfish wrote: »
    Man, a lump of styrofoam would taste good done like that :)

Thank you both. :)

Fortunately the chicory tastes nothing like a lump of styrofoam :D, but I get your point.
    I've lived in Ireland before and it was one of the veg (together with celeriac) that I've missed most. But every now and then my husband would bring a 10 kg box of chicory with him when he traveled to and fro Belgium.
    I once had a go at growing them with limited succes, but that may have been because I am an lazy gardener.
    If we have the chance to return to Ireland in the near future, I'll try better. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Pigs on the green Chilli Sausages
    Inch House black pudding
    Egg just taken from the hen
    Beans
    Potato cakes.

I would eat this every day till i died...
    PTZVzl.jpg

Followed by Rachaels Allens Choco Mouse cake with a few Wallnuts sprinkled on top.

qqXRNl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    What cure recipe did you use?

I think it was this one but, of course, I didn't take a careful note of the recipe.:o
    I omitted the onion and garlic (didn't have any to hand) and I added a few cloves and some yellow mustard seeds. I pickled it for about 12 days (1KG lean meat, approx). It was a bit too salty so was maybe pickled too long (I didn't soak it before cooking either). The piece in the freezer will be soaked before cooking so hopefully it will be about right then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Guill wrote: »
    Pigs on the green Chilli Sausages

Very interested in the sound of those??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Loopy wrote: »
    Very interested in the sound of those??

The guy that makes them is based in Tullamore, He rears Tamworths freerange. Very tastey indeed, he does black pudding sausages and another flavour sausage that i cant think of right now. He also does pork.

http://www.facebook.com/PigsOnTheGreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Lazy evening for me. I got a chinese take away. Crispy Aromatic duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce.

It was lovely, the portion was huge so there is loads left over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spaghetti with meatballs. I hadn't had it in ages and had forgotten how nice it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had friends over. Made vietnamese chicken with lemongrass; roast poussins in thai red curry sauce; thai chicken salad; aubergine with caramel, garlic & ginger sauce; plain rice; chicken crackling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A really beautiful sunny day here yesterday so we went boat fishing and caught a few mackeral again. Came home and BBQ'd it, and did garlic/rosemary/sea salt roasted potatoes with a salad.

BBQ_mack_thumb.jpg

Going to make some smoked mackeral pate later so will try and remember to take a photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Traditional Sunday dinner, roast chicken, baby spuds, mashed parsnip and carrot mixed, peas, stuffing and gravy.

http://www.imgur.com/oXq7z.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had homemade pizzas with strawberry shortcake for dessert :)

There's a good chance I might just burst seeing as we have had gargantuan meals this evening!

I baked some poppy seed bread this morning.

Loafbread_thumb_1.jpg

As mentioned we went fishing yesterday and this evening I home smoked the mackerel we caught earlier and my lovely OH made a smoked mack pate which was really lovely. Just added creme freche, lots of horseradish, chives from the garden, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper with a little bit of butter to help it set. Kept that in the fridge for a couple of hours and served with the toasted poppy seed bread. Only remembered to take a photo when I'd already started munching through so excuse the pic!

Smackpate_thumb.jpg

Then for dinner, roasted a chicken with roasted potatoes, garlic roasted Mediterranean veg and green beans with a homemade rose wine gravy.

Roastchickendins_thumb.jpg

Friday's chicken and chorizo casserole

fn8y20.jpg

Yesterday we had dinner at my mum's. Mussels and chips. Yes, I did have some chips too.

Today I made lamb koftas with coleslaw on iceberg lettuce.
    2h3pjit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Chicken and vegetable soup. I made the stock from the carcass of yesterdays roast chicken.
    It was very tasty although I don't think the cream at the end did it any favours

http://www.imgur.com/JlZit.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Merkin wrote: »
    There's a good chance I might just burst seeing as we have had gargantuan meals this evening!

I baked some poppy seed bread this morning.

http://omg.wthax.org//Loafbread_1.jpg]

I made a gigantic poppy bread sambo yesterday. Bought a loaf in spar and split it down the middle. Even shared between two of us it was really too much.

1347299083750-1.jpg

Fast day !

Grilled vegetable stack and smoked trout.

5b5he8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

last night had steamed smoked cod and steammed courgettes...no pic sorry ....it was just about ok....will have to not look at this thread for a while as all the lovely dinners make me hungry........on a big time diet cholesterol is ten.....will be having this dinner for a while...any ideas for jazzing up steamed courgettes (have to say they are quite flavourless when steamed).:(:(:(

gjc wrote: »
    ...any ideas for jazzing up steamed courgettes (have to say they are quite flavourless when steamed).:(:(:(

See the Ingredient of The Week thread - this week it's courgettes :)

• Advertisement

gjc wrote: »
    last night had steamed smoked cod and steammed courgettes...no pic sorry ....it was just about ok....will have to not look at this thread for a while as all the lovely dinners make me hungry........on a big time diet cholesterol is ten.....will be having this dinner for a while...any ideas for jazzing up steamed courgettes (have to say they are quite flavourless when steamed).:(:(:(

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your food when on a diet. And also no reason to just steam your food, even if it is a great way of cooking. And definitely no reason to have only courgettes and cod for dinner for the foreseeable future.
    You'll only have to look at my Fast Day meals here on this thread to know there is another way. (whithout blowing my own trumpet) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your food when on a diet. And also no reason to just steam your food, even if it is a great way of cooking. And definitely no reason to have only courgettes and cod for dinner for the foreseeable future.
    You'll only have to look at my Fast Day meals here on this thread to know there is another way. (whithout blowing my own trumpet) :D

See this is the thing, your food looks fantastic but how do we know it dosen't taste revolting?

/I'm just jealous :o

:pac:

Loopy wrote: »
    See this is the thing, your food looks fantastic but how do we know it dosen't taste revolting?

/I'm just jealous :o

:pac:

It could, but it will taste a damn lot better than steamed cod and steamed courgettes, day after day. ;):D

The meal gjc is describing will leave him/her with the greatest lack in necessary nutrients, but their cholesterol levels might come down, true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

believe it or not(despite the high cholesterol) as in the past i steam quite regularly after about day 3 your tasts buds get better its just does anyone know of something you can sprinkle on steamed veggies/meat that make them better (excluding salt and pepper). I have to try and stick to green veggies for the mo....I know this is off topic....but I have regularly posted here within this topic and I value the opinion of the food friends in this forum.

Sprinkle some Thai Seven Spice on your steamed veg which will liven them up a bit. Or chilli flakes. As for your cod, if it's smoked already then all it needs is a little lemon juice and pepper. I'm all for cooking healthily but healthy cooking need not equal boring or bland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we ate in Luigi Malone's as we were in Dublin for the day.

I had the buffalo wings with blue cheese for starter and wasn't impressed with them at all. They had a horrible strong taste of vinegar.

For mains I had the sirloin steak with pepper sauce and their home chips.

The steak was OK, not great, I've had better, for less money. The chips weren't great, they were cold, there was very few of them, quite a few of them were the 'crispy' chips, the pepper sauce was cold.

Another guest with us, had the ham burger for mains which was over cooked and dry.

None of us bothered with dessert, I was so disappointed with the starter and mains, I wasn't bothered spending extra money for a dessert I would have probably been disappointed with too.

All in all, for the money it cost, it wasn't worth it. I was very disappointed with it.

Tonight my boyfriend is cooking lamb chops, spinach and potatoes. Can't wait for some delicious home cooked food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Roast pork with apple and sage stuffing, roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed broccoli and gravy with a Hobgoblin beer to wash it all down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I made Chicken Chasseur Marco Pierre White style this evening. Very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5mMP7fmhiE

I had Jamie Oliver's Lamb Chops with Salsa ( Ministry of Food ) the night before and a 3 course meal from Gordon Ramsey's F-Word book for Sunday lunch.

Also made lots of yummy deserts etc and bought a few cook books this week.

Yes, I am on quite a cooking bend currently. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sharrow wrote: »
    Roast pork with apple and sage stuffing, roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed broccoli and gravy with a Hobgoblin beer to wash it all down.

Oooo recipe for your apple and sage stuffing please?

• Advertisement

My OH made a gorgeous prawn linguini this evening which was inspired by time we spent in Italy last year. King prawns, cherry tomatoes, LOTS of really good virgin olive oil and garlic with fresh flat leaf parsley and chilli flakes added at the end for flavouring. So simple and so delish.

Prawnlinguini_thumb.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement