Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Fast Day Meal.

Courgette ribbons with quorn mince, romanesco broccoli and ricotta sauce.
    330 calories, so there.:p
    I also had a bowl of forest fruits for dessert.

35mmq8z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

kdmINl.jpg

Spatchcock chicken with dry rub then a BBQ mop sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I really shouldn't read this thread while hungry. Its like some form of torture with all the pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

agree totally if you could eat with your eyes this definitly is the place to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had friends over last night.
    To start we had squid fried with smoked bacon and garlic and finished with lemon juice, brazilnut and olive oil, flat leaf parsley on a bed of rocket.
    Forgot to take a pic:(.

Then we had Osso Buco with wet polenta and gremolata.
    (not really osso buco as it was beef shin, not veal. Also, in a not strictly traditional fashion, it had tomatoes in it)
    Very, very tasty.

Washed down by a disappointing Tesco Barolo that someone on here recommended.

rs_13.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight my boyfriend is cooking lamb chops, spinach and potatoes. Can't wait for some delicious home cooked food.
    We are having this tonight, minus the spinach as we ended up getting a take away last night.
    Guill wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/kdmINl.jpg

Spatchcock chicken with dry rub then a BBQ mop sauce.
    Have you a recipe for this please? It looks very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Washed down by a disappointing Tesco Barolo that someone on here recommended.

Great looking dish. Tesco Barolo is vinegar. I have no idea how they get away with it. All expansive descriptions of cherry and blackcurrant fruit, notes of tobacco and dark chocolate. Then you open it and it tastes like it was bottled in a Sarsons factory.

Dinner last night was steak, chips and a goats cheese salad. Tonight we has a piece of roast lamb with roast garlic, vine roast tomatoes and a loaf of ciabatta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I made a big batch of tomato sauce this afternoon so went with and old favourite for dinner this evening; chicken, chorizo and spinach spaghetti with the tomato sauce. Once the sauce was made it was so quick, simple and pretty damn tasty if I do say so myself!

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Have you a recipe for this please? It looks very tasty.

How to Spatchcock a chicken

I generally make it up as I go along but I am fairly sure this is what i put in the rub:

4 Paprika
    1 English mustard
    1 Oregano
    1 Cayene (or to taste)
    1 Chilli powder
    1 White Sugar
    1 Brown Sugar
    1 black pepper
    1 Salt
    1 Garlic powder

Mix all together and rub into the bird, wrap the bird and place in a fridge overnight.

Whatever rub you have left mix it with water (make it very watery) add honey and a bbq sauce, till it tickens enough to stick to the basting brush.

After that cook the bird in an oven, throw him in with just the rub first then I basted him in the 'Mop sauce' evey 10 minutes till a good layer built up.

Sorry I can't be more exact with measurements.
    Very tastey, good and messy too!

Guill wrote: »
    How to Spatchcock a chicken

I generally make it up as I go along but I am fairly sure this is what i put in the rub:

4 Paprika
    1 English mustard
    1 Oregano
    1 Cayene (or to taste)
    1 Chilli powder
    1 White Sugar
    1 Brown Sugar
    1 black pepper
    1 Salt
    1 Garlic powder

Mix all together and rub into the bird, wrap the bird and place in a fridge overnight.

Whatever rub you have left mix it with water (make it very watery) add honey and a bbq sauce, till it tickens enough to stick to the basting brush.

After that cook the bird in an oven, throw him in with just the rub first then I basted him in the 'Mop sauce' evey 10 minutes till a good layer built up.

Sorry I can't be more exact with measurements.
    Very tastey, good and messy too!

Thanks so much, did you use teaspoons or tablespoons?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, did you use teaspoons or tablespoons?

Sorry, I used Tea spoons

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Tasting plate for starter

Prawn Skewers, Lamb ribs, Duck shanks, Marinated Feta, Hummus, Olives and Choirzo

2i93vp4.jpg

After we had lamb truffles with minted pea puree, wild mushrooms in a sherry and cream sauce on sourdough and pork belly bites with apple puree and gravy (no pics)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a cold and wasn't up to cooking tonight so I defrosted a couple of portions of lasagne I'd made a few weeks ago and threw it in the oven with some oven chips, and served it with coleslaw. Not the healthiest but it was really comforting :)

Yesterday I had chicory with ham and cheese sauce again. Somehow after my fast I need something fatty.

Tonight I made myself a big plate of veg. Cooked french beans and romanesco broccoli, opened a jar of white asparagus spears and a tin of artichoke hearts. That was difficult. Used yoghurt and a spoon of mayo as a dressing. And panfried 2 slices of veal tenderloin. Yumyum.

2agqkc3.jpg

11jmck1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Chilli con carne on a fluffy jacket potato and smothered with grated cheese, nyum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Went out for dinner last night to Paulies Pizza, for starter had bruschetta with crab toes in white wine and garlic, with rocket, cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. It was delicious!

crabtoes.jpg

Remembered to take a photo halfway through my main! Went for the super picante (spicy salami, fresh chilli, red peppers, rocket, tomato & smoked mozzarella)

lots of rocket on top as my friend doesn't like it, you can never have too much rocket!

pizza.jpg

all washed down with a fresh Italian sauvingnon blanc

Spinach, steak and chips tonight.

I said I'd have steak for dinner tonight for one of two reasons:

1) To celebrate if my interview went well
    2) To cheer me up if my interview went badly.

Luckily the interview went well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Rack of lamb topped with breadcrumb crust (herbs, olive oil, etc) done to just the rare side of medium

Served with hasselback baby spuds, quartered sauteed mushrooms and blanched and flash fried asparagus tips

Washed down with Yalumba Shiraz Voignear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Actually from two nights ago but was so yummy I thought I'd share.

7 pieces of mixed sushi (tuna, japanese roll (omelette, carrot, mushroom, spinich and salmon flakes) and teryiaki chicken), 3 pieces of nigiri (tuna, salmon and sea bass), a bowl of rice, portion of kimchi and out of shot a bowl of edamame.

Was lovely.

2dvtr3m.jpg

Fish pie of sorts.

24xdjdj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Turkey meatballs with sweetcorn; dipping sauce of sour cream and yoghurt with garlic, lemon and sumac; rice with puy lentils; goats cheese salad with artichokes and sumac; carrot & coriander hummus with toasted ciabatta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Prawns, garlic and spaghetti with Jago sauce which I picked up at a farmers market during the summer in Moycullen.

A feast for the senses!

http://www.imgur.com/2f6hb.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

While in London I developed a bit of a Wahaca addiction and have been having cravings ever since. Since we don't have one here I decided to make my own.

Thomasina Miers Pork Pibil tacos with pink pickled onions and a side of chilli spiked grilled corn slathered in a sour cream/mayo mix.

Photo0004.jpg

Sorry about the poor pics

Photo0003.jpg

This pic might not look like dinner, but we had it after our tea for my niece's christening. And I made it with my own fair(y) hands !

24e2li0.jpg

295ybdj.jpg

There goes the diet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You are very talented LaChatteGitane :)

Had a lovely dinner on Saturday. Mostly inspired by boards. For starter was a nice mushroom vol au vent. Meaty main was a Gordon Ramsey baked pork chops with piquant sauce. Veggie main was roasted pepper with butternut squash risotto inspired by this lovely photo! I just found some nice recipes for it online.

I made this bad boy for afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

After dinner treats in a tapas restaurant; I had baked figs with honey, cinnamon and vanilla ice-cream and himself had profiteroles with cream and chocolate sauce. Both absolutely delicious.

dessert.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Fell off the wagon last night, had roast chicken, roasties, carrot and parsnip puree, garlic potatoes, gravy , forgot to take a pic as i dived into it. was delishous havent had a meal like that in ages. Dessert was profiteroles and ice-cream, I passed on dessert, tried to make me feel less guilty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I had lemon and garlic roast chicken with creamy mash, gravy and garlicky mushrooms. I made a treacle sponge for dessert which I liked but nobody else did :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had beef brisket slow cooked for 8 hours in red wine and beef stock. I served it with roasted baby potatoes with garlic and herb butter, baby carrots, and a gravy made out of the beef cooking liquid. It was lovely! The red wine we used was a little bit too strong though, I'd probably use a lighter-bodied wine in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Roast chicken leg, with garlic baby potatoes and pureed turnip. Delish

http://www.imgur.com/IHLCR.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement