Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

A very simple dinner last night again - bangers & creamy mash with onion gravy. There were 3 different sausages (chilli lamb, spicy bbq, african sunshine)

bangersmash.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Buffalo wings (oven roast, Frank's, butter, tamarind extract, sugar).
    Carrot sticks, cucumber, hummus, wholemeal flat breads and rocket which for some reason we didn't eat.

rs_15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

tmc86 wrote: »
    A very simple dinner last night again - bangers & creamy mash with onion gravy. There were 3 different sausages (chilli lamb, spicy bbq, african sunshine)

Oh my God, NOM!!!!

Can you give me your onion gravy recipe? Mine is always... disappointing.

Quorum wrote: »
    Oh my God, NOM!!!!

Can you give me your onion gravy recipe? Mine is always... disappointing.

I roughly chopped about 2/3 of a red onion. I put 1/3 in a roasting tin with the sausages and a splash of oil and then put those in the oven.

I sweated the other 1/3 of the red onion in a pot with butter and once they were soft I added a tsp of flour and mixed.

I added about 280ml of warm water and some beef stock and stirred until it came to the boil - then turned down the heat to simmer and added a few splashes of worcestershire sauce.

When the sausages were done I tipped the roasted onions and juices into the gravy pot and stirred for another minute.

Depending on how thick you like the gravy you can reduce it by simmering for a while longer or add another bit of flour and stir until its mixed.

Then you can just serve over everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had roast monkfish, roast mixed veg and rye bread.

Recovering from a cold so actually could not taste anything bar the bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had lamb casserole with brown rice & asparagus.

D9F0AD7B-5A8E-46D8-A3F7-F3AEB26DCFEF-4156-000006A969436D7B.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made spaghetti carbonara for the first time and it was yum :)

One of these days I'll remember to take a photo before I eat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I woke up yesterday morning in a foul mood and it lasted all day long.
    So I had a little binge for 'dinner' . Licked out the bowl of batter for my mum's birthday cake, took a teaspoon to the peanut butter jar, had 2 of my mini pizza crusts (that I had stored in the freezer) added loads of cheese, chorizo and more cheese.

Sorry, no pics. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

axDR4.jpg

Found myself home alone in college one night. Pasta in the cupboard and no sauce. Here's what I did.

Cooked my pasta as per usual, opened up the fridge took out an onion I had in there, the milk and the butter.

Took two large spoonfulls of butter and melted it down in a pot, while that melted I chopped the onion into very small pieces and put that in too. Let the onions cook down a little before half filling the saucepan with milk.

I then went searching for some flour in my other housemates cupboard (fair play they actually had some!) and threw in two / three heaped spoonfulls of flour (more or less depending on amount of milk) into the pot while it was simmering away just to thicken it up.

Sauce thickened up to my liking, took it off the heat and added some salt and black pepper to flavor.

Best past I've ever had hands down given the little I had to hand.

Today I only licked from the butter cream once. I prefer the raw cake batter tbh ;)

Made a shepherd's pie of sorts. Topped with celeriac and sweet potato mash.

11tlbvb.jpg

2igzt5c.jpg

i73a5t.jpg

• Advertisement

Ended up a Thai themed night tonight.

Pork Satay to start with cucumber.
    rs_16.jpg

Then fried monkfish with Thai rice, (small round) courgettes from the garden and green curry sauce that's been lurking in the freezer (and tasted none the worse from it-yummmm)

rs1.jpg

OK, I know my green sauce looks yellow - not sure to whether to be upset about my cooking or my photography but it tasted green!

I used Curry Addict's recipe for the satay sauce but used a different marinade.
    Sauce was very good (needs little tweaking and the bits of it I was suspicious about were spot on - easily the best satay I've ever tasted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Hogzy wrote: »
    You also cant link photos from you email.
    If you want to upload a photo, attach it to a post by clicking the button next to the smiley face when writting your post. It says "attach"
    Sorry not much of a tech head!
    Pork belly,mash,caremelised apple,crispy serrano ham and cider sauce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Prawn, spring onion, lemon and basil risotto (with a liberal sprinkle of black pepper!)

cCkT5l.jpg

Home cured free range ham, cabbage (from the garden), mash, parsley sauce.

DSC01800_1.jpg

Groundhog days.
    Yesterday, leftover shepherd's pie, today chicory rolled in ham with cheese sauce.
    And I had a small slice of my mum's birthday cake that I made. Gosh, how I hate making and decorating cakes !

2zt99np.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Today, we had a very disappointing chicken and mushroom pie, with very disappointing mashed potatoes. I had such high hopes, and it was such a poor outcome :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Tonight I made a huge pot of soup to use up a load of veg: carrot, potato, sweet potato, red and white onion, celery, mooli, artichoke hearts and tinned tomatoes with butter beans, chicken stock, pasta, fresh bay leaves and rosemary pulverised to a smooth heart warming mix. I've already had two bowls and considering a third...

2ciigrc.jpg

Also made brownies infused with fresh strawberry and white chocolate

71tjx4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Roast Chicken and roast potatoes,carrots and peas and gravy

roast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hm-mmm....
    Low carb pizza today.

Cauliflower pizza crust (which in fairness is a cauliflower omelet baked in the oven). I added loads of dried oregano, basil, thyme, cayenne and black pepper. Oh, yeah and cheese.

LaChatteGitane - you are a GODESS!! I had this today and it was wonderful! Who needs pizza dough?! ;)

I topped it with olives, gouda, tomatoes, pineapple and red pepper. Oh yeah and I HATE cauliflower. :) But I couldn't taste it at all. You're a genius. (btw - i've shared the link to your blog on my Facebook. More people need to know about your food... ;) )

cauliflowerpizza.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shepherds pie :D

vo0qag.jpg

Tis resting now, just out of the oven, let it sit there for a few minutes before I dive in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Seaneh wrote: »
    Shepherds pie :D

http://i49.tinypic.com/vo0qag.jpg

Tis resting now, just out of the oven, let it sit there for a few minutes before I dive in :D
    Oh my god, that look amazing, love shepards pie, mmm.

Dinner tonight is steak and garlic roasted vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Seaneh can you post the Shepherd's Pie recipe please? I've been looking for one for ages and the ones I've tried before were always a let-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I had two mini dinners today! One was my last nights/lunch I forgot to take to work of pasta with a broccoli and blue cheese sause and then cos I was still hungry had a lovely veggie noodle stirfry with ginger, honey and soy. Happy tummy....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fussyonion wrote: »
    Seaneh can you post the Shepherd's Pie recipe please? I've been looking for one for ages and the ones I've tried before were always a let-down.

I just brown my mince, remove it to a bowl. cook my onions, grate in a carrot or two and some celery and cook for another few minutes, add a little tomato puré and cook it out for a minute, deglaze with a little water, add the mince back into the pan, crumble in an oxo cube or two and a scatter of flour, stir and cook it though for a few minutes, then add more water (until you get to the consistency you like), throw in some peas and you're good to go.

Just top with your mash, pop it in the oven for 15 minutes at about 160ish and then top with cheese and turn the oven up for another 5 minutes to melt and gratinate the cheese.

Nice and simple.

A friend of mine who is a chef used to make it with a can of erin veg soup added to veg and mince and it was actually lovely, bit of a quick cheat and it works. The recipe is on the back of the cans.

Wurly wrote: »
    LaChatteGitane - you are a GODESS!! I had this today and it was wonderful! Who needs pizza dough?! ;)

I topped it with olives, gouda, tomatoes, pineapple and red pepper. Oh yeah and I HATE cauliflower. :) But I couldn't taste it at all. You're a genius. (btw - i've shared the link to your blog on my Facebook. More people need to know about your food... ;) )

Flattered by your unadulterated adoration :D, I cannot take credit for this idea/recipe :o
    It was forum member Stench Blossoms who put a general recipe up here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80649303&postcount=19

Alright, I did bring my own bit of magic to it with a fair amount of herbs, but credit where credit's due.:cool:

Glad you loved it so much. It looks and sounds absolutely lovely from the picture and your description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Dinner in Kigali (Rwanda) yesterday - a huge buffet of all sorts of magical things. I had plantain, beans, fried cauliflower, avocado and an assortment of salady things. Very delicious and as much as you can eat for about €3!

302593_10152147927480556_72274498_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Last night has steamed smoked cod and tomatoes....tomatoes was the only nice bit of it.....yuck i hated it....in a food rut at the moment....it put me in a bad mood:mad::mad::mad:

Little bit of monkfish green curry to start.

Chinese grilled chicken thighs (spring onion, ginger, garlic, black beans pushed under the skin), Thai fragrant rice, steamed choi sam, soy sherry jus, spring onion and fresh coriander.

DSC01801.jpg

• Advertisement

Yesterday's fast-day-mess. :o
    Peppers stuffed with panfried quorn pieces, Italian herbs and beaten egg. In a medium hot oven and near the end added a spicy tomato sauce.

2ijrjt5.jpg

Today's fast day meal
    Cauliflower 'rice' with chicken stir fry.

258sfhd.jpg

I think I'll have another fast day tomorrow to save some calories for next week. I'm coming to Ireland for a week this Friday !!
    House hunting is serious hunger inducing business and I really don't want to feel like I have to watch what I eat all next week. Give me a fry up !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement