Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Penne with creamy Cajun sauce and blackened chicken..... Still have loads left over for lunch tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Chicken marinated in lemon with baby potatoes, asparagus, baby sweetcorn and baby carrots :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Penne with creamy Cajun sauce and blackened chicken..... Still have loads left over for lunch tomorrow!

Sounds like a lovely winter warmer!
    What's your recipe?

Just screams comfort food to me, that and a lump of fresh crusty bread, yum.

Seaneh it was pretty comforting last night, served with garlic bread and a bottle or two of Paulaner :pac:

The recipe was one I had come across ages ago here on Boards, I think, and had scribbled down into a notebook I keep for recipes and such.
    To start with, the Cajun spice mix is 2tbsp cayenne pepper, 1tbsp paprika, 1tbsp garlic salt, 1tbsp of black and 1 of white pepper, 1tbsp of cumin and 1tbsp of oregano.

To make the sauce, mix up a roux of approx. 30g flour and butter in a saucepan until it comes together in a pastry-like lump. Then add in 2 finely diced peppers and 500 ml of chicken stock, and let it simmer away for about 30 mins.

When the sauce is almost ready stick on your pasta. Take chicken breasts (I used 3) and butterfly them, dip them in melted butter then dip them into some of the Cajun spice mix. Fry on a very, very hot griddle pan for about 5 minutes either side.

At the very end add cream and Cajun spice mix to the sauce to taste, and its ready to serve on a bed of pasta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night I made a spicy cod ratatouille with yellow bell pepper, courgette served with cous cous.

For the sauce I used chopped tomatoes, sea salt, black pepper, paprika, oregano, worcestershire sauce, garlic, tomato ketchup, american hot sauce and a touch of inferno chilli sauce!

cod.jpg

couscous.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

More cous cous last night! Served with Salmon marinated in soy sauce, rice wine, paprika, Sea salt and black pepper.

salmon.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yesterday for dinner I was caught in town and wanted somethign quick and yummy while waiting for a meeting so went to Java (local french bistro/cafe in galway) and had their crepe of the day, buckwheat crepe with cheddar, roast chicken and potatoes. Side salad and a mug of tea.

Was so good I might go back today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I pan fried wild sea bass within an hour of being caught. Fresh! Served it with shaggy cap mushrooms I picked locally, ramen noodles with cucumber, jalapeno peppers, dash of soya sauce and lemon juice. Toasted seeds on top.

Also made a sweet courgette bread.

x3tlkn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner tonight was roast pork with smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dried basil and dried sage on top. Had it with boiled potatoes and leeks softened in a little butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a few days ago:

A nice mash up of a dinner using up stuff from the fridge and garden.
    First off was bubble and squeak cakes with lots of cabbage from the garden, leek, ham, parsley and a little bit of potato.
    Slow roast tomatoes with garlic and thyme - all from the garden too!

rs_17.jpg

Then we had the previous nights dinner fried up - rice, chicken and choi sam with nice Chinese flavours and juice.

rs1_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Spicey stir fry and noodles with sirracha hot sauce chicken.
    2b4f7a8c0fc711e2b41b22000a1e8aa5_7.jpg

And for tonight:

Pork pieces, skewered and done on the gas BBQ with marjoram,garlic, olive oil and sherry vinegar dressing. Sautéed potatoes,grilled tomatoes with garlic,peas.

rs_18.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

And for tonight:

Pork pieces, skewered and done on the gad BBQ with marjoram,garlic, olive oil and sherry vinegar dressing. Sautéed potatoes,grilled tomatoes with garlic,peas.
    <pic snipped>
    I know I've no picture but the glistening *omnomnom**

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I know this is a terrible picture, it looks like the insides of a toilet but that's because I was already halfway through before I remembered to take a picture. :o It's spicy taco soup with nachos and sour cream. Soooo good.

223456.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had Sunday roast of pork with scrumptious crackling, white cabbage, leeks in butter, peas and rosemary & sea salt roasted potatoes. Took the picture before the addition of white wine gravy as it was literally swimming in it :)

2d1n2o4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Lamb Rendang last night -- a wee too much coconut milk and fresh turmeric, but tasted awsome and meat just melted in the mouth. Served with plain boiled rice.

ImgD33B03A8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Lamb Chops & Hearts in the Oven
    2f4dd4e60a6b11e291e622000a1cd14c_7.jpg

another hotchpotch dinner last night.
    Had some slow cooked pork hock meat in the freezer so I fried this up with some garlic, concentrated stock and Frank's hot sauce. We had corn on the cobs with this, then had and an avocado each.
    Tasty.
    No pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Having Stir Fried Vermicelli for dinner tonight, and perhaps for lunch tomorrow.

ImgB9D001B8.jpg

I made chilli chicken curry this evening based on a BBC Good Food recipe. Had to adapt it for our own tastes though as like it very hot!

2nrpyt3.jpg

• Advertisement

Pan fried duck breasts with a rhubarb, ginger, soy sauce; Thai rice; steamed pai choi.

rs_19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Would you be so kind as to proffer the recipe please? That sounds delicious.

**EDIT: Oops, I see you've done so already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had roast chicken with baked potatoes. I brined the chicken for eight hours before drying in the fridge for an hour. Once roasted, I left the chook to rest for 20 minutes. Very succulent, juicy chicken.

Into the same brine, I added a couple of partridges. Roasted them tonight and served with braised puy lentils and merguez sausages.

Had rib-eye steaks seasoned with paprika and fried up with a little finely chopped garlic and chilli, and served with a chorizo & potato hash. Quick, easy and very tasty.

There's some Key Lime pie for dessert, but I'm too full to tackle that right now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Coddle :D 'twas delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Stayed in Mount Juliet last weekend. The food was sublime. Here's a selection of some of the dishes we had.

Squab Pigeon
    2836F19C-2273-4A12-887F-ED5A13A8116C-2029-0000028E0A700FC9.jpg
    Lobster
    4129DCF9-AF23-44DE-906E-A649FA813F5F-2029-0000028E056F49FE.jpg
    Amuse Bouche
    FF344EEC-6790-40F7-96CD-005BB08BC782-2029-0000028E1467A987.jpg
    Rabbit & Langoustine
    12907598-F659-42F4-9F75-5BA306C9833B-2029-0000028E0F43D204.jpg
    Coconut Parfait
    FBC28867-1065-4764-94C7-8F3FF5B5172B-2029-0000028E29C47323.jpg
    Cheeseboard
    449DE4EB-A935-4126-A14A-2B361D1B252A-2029-0000028E19CF85DE.jpg
    Petit Fours
    97EE69BA-CA54-4EE4-A7D6-13D7A15B14F3-2029-0000028E2E76AFB5.jpg

Yum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

But do they do Adult portions?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I know I thought I'd need a kebab afterwards as the portions were small but I was defo full leaving!

Wow Loopy, the lobster looks absolutely sublime!

I made a lasagne today and am so happy with how it turned out as had never made it or even a bechamel sauce before. Added cheese to the bechamel which made it extra creamy and undoubtedly calorie laden :o Will definitely be making again so will make sure to take a photo next time! Served it with a green salad, garlic bread and coleslaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Loopy I serve that up every day of the week to mr.gjc :D:D:D looks amazing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement