Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Last night had a vegetable puff pastry, vegetables were spinach, onion, pepper and spring onion, with feta and mozzerella, side salad.
    Got the recipe from the come dine with me website http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/come-dine-with-me-recipes/series-10/mediterranean-vegetable-ring
    Dessert was homemade eves pudding with cream
    enjoyed every mouthful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Inspired by the courgette thread, I had courgette fritter, grilled lamb chop and some sweet courgette relish on the side. Pic makes it look like a mess but it was a lovely mix of flavours.

23m3ev6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had one of my all-time favourite dinners this evening! Salted pollock and butterbean stew (this is added to spinach, chorizo and goats cheese). Ginger to season. Sounds like a bit of a random mix but the flavours work beautifully.

3495hsn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

This evening I had fried liver (very rare), mash with raw and fried onion, greens and blob of burger sauce!

vqpch5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Hello ! I'm back. Fell off the wagon big time while in Ireland. Before getting back on I made a lovely starchy butternut squash risotto yesterday.

2d9r69e.jpg

Let's not speak of the chocolate and hazelnut bar I ate during the day.

I haven't finalised my dinner plans for tonight, but it won't be containing carbs. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had a fillet of ham which I cooked in the slow cooker in just a glass of Coke, with cabbage from the garden and creamy mash :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night I had stuffed Chicken Crown (part of the Superquinn French thing that on) with Parmesan mashed spuds and blanched Asparagus

All good and a fair bit of the chicken left over which surprised me as it looked small but tasted good

Yesterday
    Spiced chicken thighs and a few cherry tomatoes from the oven and a coleslaw with red and white cabbage, apple and red onion, yoghurt dressing.
    I feel better already.;)

Today is a fast day and I'm having a hard time. Better keep busy.

zu31n8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A very very loose interpretation of a carbonara. If it was a song all the music and lyrics would be swapped out for panpipes or gregorian chanting, sort of more of a carbonara tribute band than anything else. Bacon, parmesan, loads of black pepper, egg yolk then, em, courgettes, red onion and green beans instead of pasta

Really tasty and keeps me away from the starchy carbs but I think the next time I land in Italy my face will be on a big war criminals poster and they'll frog march me right back onto my plane

Always make a roast on a Sunday! Had roast beef yesterday evening with roasties, roasted carrots and red onion, leeks and spinach. Served it with a red wine gravy.

2l1cuh.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight had line caught sea bass with sizzled ginger, garlic, chilli and spring onions. Served with lemon and sea salt roasted baby potatoes and petit pois....it was yum :)

241l5rn.jpg

A very very loose interpretation of a carbonara. If it was a song all the music and lyrics would be swapped out for panpipes or gregorian chanting, sort of more of a carbonara tribute band than anything else. Bacon, parmesan, loads of black pepper, egg yolk then, em, courgettes, red onion and green beans instead of pasta

Really tasty and keeps me away from the starchy carbs but I think the next time I land in Italy my face will be on a big war criminals poster and they'll frog march me right back onto my plane

MissFlitworth, you made me chuckle there. :D

I'll definitely put it on the menu one of these days.

Yesterday's fast day meal.
    Vegetable soup/stew with poached cod.

25j9g75.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Broccoli sprinkled with parmesan coupled with mega meaty bolognese (beef and smokey bacon). I love wintry dinners!

1-10.jpg

Another fast day.
    Salmon burgers with salad and a salsa cruda.

o5ov4h.jpg

Had the remaining sea bass this evening. Cooked it by drizzling in lime juice and fresh ginger. Served with a salad of cherry tomatoes, shallots, green chilli and capers in a spoonful of red wine vinegar and roasted baby pots.

34y2po0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

More kermit carbonara

kermit_carbonara_zps142695f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Steak sandwich on a ciabatta roll, with some chimichurri sauce.

steaksandwich1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Steak sambos in our house as well, using Aldi's rib eye

img_2243.jpg?w=538&h=358

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Slow Roast Brisket in a pepper rub with Spuds and veg.

xuehSl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guill wrote: »
    Slow Roast Brisket in a pepper rub with Spuds and veg.

That looks amazing! What is brisket though?

Low carb (full fat :D) pizza.

25jy492.jpg

Mr. Merkin calls this my "Thunder Curry" such is its heat :) Had this evening with a little bit of basmati and some lime pickle

241pbgk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Butternut Squash and Rosemary Risotto. Was very nice, will definitely make it again.

photo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Stuffed chicken wrapped in parma ham, mushroom & white wine sauce and scallion mash. Delish!

chickencrumble-11-of-12.jpg?w=538&h=358

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

yurmothrintites, do you have a recipe for that? I tried it before, but the butternut squash was overdone and turned to mush :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

leahyl wrote: »
    That looks amazing! What is brisket though?

Now your going to expose how little i actually know! ;)

Wiki Link here.[/QUOTE]

From what I can gather it's usually turned into corn beef in Ireland, so we don't see it as much. I seen it on Man v Food the whole time so I tried it a couple of times and it was delicious. I rubbed some cracked pepper, paprika, cayenne and cumin on the outside and left it in the fridge for 36 hours. Then threw it into the slow cooker, covered it vith veg stock and a 1/4 pack of oxtail soup, turned it to low and went off to work. took it out ten hours later. As it rested i poured the juice through a seive into a pot and boiled it til it reduced to a third it volume. Beef was taste, gravey was savage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Another fast day.
    Salmon burgers with salad and a salsa cruda.

Fish burgers. I'm intrigued. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aldi rib-eye steaks done rare on the gas BBQ, sautéed potatoes, spicy courgette and tomato relish (both from the garden), frozen sweetcorn and a bit of rocket for colour.

Much as I get a better warm and fuzzy feeling buying steak from my local favourite butcher, I gotta say that the Aldi ones are consistently good.

rs_20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Aldi rib-eye steaks done rare on the gas BBQ, sautéed potatoes, spicy courgette and tomato relish (both from the garden), frozen sweetcorn and a bit of rocket for colour.

Much as I get a better warm and fuzzy feeling buying steak from my local favourite butcher, I gotta say that the Aldi ones are consistently good.

Those Sauteed potatoes look delicious! How do you cook them?

The Aldi steaks are very good as are the lidl ones, decent prices too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement