Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tmc86 wrote: »
    Those Sauteed potatoes look delicious! How do you cook them?

I just peel and cube the potatoes and fry them in a pretty hot frying pan with some sunflower oil. Takes about 30 minutes - keep tossing/turning them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

An almost normal dinner tonight.
    Turkey tournedos, sauteed chicory and mock mashed potatoes made from..... yes, you guessed right .... CAULIFLOWER ! :D
    I added a smidgen of Roquefort cheese a spoon of sour cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. It was fantabuloso.
    And my husband asked if I could also make shoe soles out of cauliflower. He is well impressed ;)

2en5dz9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a really quick and easy dinner this evening. Smoked bacon and mushroom with linguini

2rc095w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Faith wrote: »
    yurmothrintites, do you have a recipe for that? I tried it before, but the butternut squash was overdone and turned to mush :(.

Ya, it's an altered Jamie Oliver recipe (as I had no sage) from here.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/butternut-squash-risotto-with-crispy-sag?preview

1 butternut squash
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 40g unsalted butter
    • 1 small onion, peeled and halved
    • 2 sticks of celery, trimmed
    • 300g risotto rice
    • 125ml white wine
    • 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock, preferably organic
    • 2 handfuls of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1-2 sprigs of rosemary
    extra virgin olive oil

Preheat your oven to 200°C. Cut the butternut squash into quarters length ways. Peel and chop two of the quarters into cubes and leave the other two quarters as they are.
    Toss the squash wedges with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and one sprig of rosemary (not chopped), then roast for 30 minutes, or until soft.

Place the onion and the celery in a hot saucepan with a good glug of olive oil and half the butter. Chop finely and add around a teaspoon of rosemary to the pan. Sweat down on a medium heat until softened not coloured. Add the risotto rice and stir until slightly translucent (A minute or two). Add the wine and let it bubble for a minute.
    Add a ladle of the stock and stir. When the stock has been nearly absorbed by the rice add another ladle. Keep adding a ladle of stock until it is all absorbed. If the rice is not cooked at this stage; add a little more stock or water to the pan. Remove from the heat.

Take the cooked squash and leave the cubed squash aside. Take the two full quarters of squash and scoop out of the skin. Puree the flesh well with the rest of the butter. Add the flesh along with the cubes squash and parmesan to the saucepan and stir.
    Serve!

I think that's everything in the recipe! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pasta and Meatballs, with some garlic bread :) ...

47877_10151254487226718_94537141_n.jpg

• Advertisement

A real autumn dinner last night.
    Roast turkey leg - boned, stuffed and rolled; butternut squash pearl barley risotto; roast carrot, parsnip, beetroot.

rs_21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

how do ya make the beetroot? looks good? :)

ArtyC wrote: »
    Peel it, cut it, season it and roast it for about an hour with a little oil - same as the carrots and parsnips.

ArtyC wrote: »
    Peel it, cut it, season it and roast it for about an hour with a little oil - same as the carrots and parsnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Cheers i love roasted veg and beetroot! Must Try :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

tmc86 wrote: »
    Those Sauteed potatoes look delicious! How do you cook them?

The Aldi steaks are very good as are the lidl ones, decent prices too!

They are on special too in Aldi at the mo (the Irish Angus ones), I got 2 nice striploins tonight for €9.99 instead of the usual €11.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chicken, bacon, mushroom, onion and carrot puff pastry pastie. A meal in an envelope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

made steak diane tonight .. my god ... never had it before.. used a little too much cognac and the flambe almost took the kitchen with it .

42143105.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Oven chips and a cheese toastie. I'm quite the foodie. :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

opti76 wrote: »
    made steak diane tonight .. my god ... never had it before.. used a little too much cognac and the flambe almost took the kitchen with it .

Your pic kinda scared me, think it's the lighting! :pac: I'm sure it tasted great and looked much better in reality though. :)

Last night's dinner
    Courgette ribbons Bolognese (with chicken mince)

Can hardly wait for my blood test results in a few weeks time so that I can start eating (well portioned off) 'wholewheat' pasta from time to time.
    I still felt hungry after last night's meal and kept grazing from the grapes, yoghurt, nuts and foul crabsticks.:o

347e7x0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My aldi steak.

DE6D4458-058C-4CF4-8928-F95D1DD4552D-352-000001474D525FD7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Did lump of steak last night too (seemed like the right thing to do after a tough week)

SQs best Rib eyes (from the butchers counter and well selected by same). Griddled and served with sour cream mash (super) and oven roasted butternut squash chunks

All very good indeed...

Beef tacos with homemade guacamole, nyum

352nol2.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night's veg/chicken in lettuce wrap :rolleyes:

Mind you it was much nicer than a slap in the face.

2z6zbzn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Cooked a sausage casserole receipe I got form the BBC website (minus the beans), cant take a pic but If it was legal to marry food Id mary this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010

Had our usual Sunday roast today :) This week chicken with homemade sage and onion stuffing, mashed swede, brussels sprouts which I absolutely love, and roasted red onion and roasted potatoes with a white wine gravy.

2ruau.jpg

For pudding I made raspberry mousse earlier today from the raspberries I froze a couple of weeks ago, it was nyum!

296dwlg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We went to our daughter's for dinner tonight - beer can chicken, gravy, roasted vegetables and mash. Raspberry brownies and ice cream for dessert :)

Nyum! Isn't that where you stick an open tin up the chicken's whatsit? I always wondered, does the can actually sustain high temperatures and do you keep it there for the duration? Also, what kind of beer is the best beer to use DB?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes it is. She used Heineken tonight - a large tin divided between 3 Coke cans (she did 3 chickens). The cans were about a half to three quarters full and she put a Nandos spice rub on the chickens, with a little in each can too. The chickens stay on top for the duration and cook in around an hour and a quarter at 190-200C. they were medium sized - it would take a bit longer for a large chicken. She pours most of the beer and the juices into a pot while the chickens rest, throws in a cup of water mixed with a dessertspoon of flour and simmers it to make the gravy (you need to skim off some fat). It's amazing - and as for the beer, you can experiment with different types. Some people use flavoured ones like apple, to get a different tasting gravy. The Heineken made a lovely gravy tonight.

Brilliant thanks :) Have often wondered what it involves so will give it a try!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

We had nachos on Saturday night after having a big lunch!
    nachos2.jpg

Sunday evening I made sea trout seasoned with sea salt, cracked pepper, paprika and some creme fraiche.

Served with roasted pepper spiced with cumin and a mixed leaf salad with black olives, beetroot, gherkins, and spring onion.

trout1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

One of the tastiest dinners I've ever had!

Last night I enjoyed one of the nicest dinners I've ever made, spicy chicken stew.

This dish could easily feed four adults, and could be made for under a tenner (easily prepared too)

Ingredients:

Few spoons of olive oil
    Chicken thighs (i stick in 6-8 depending on how many will be eating)
    Red onions, coarsely copped
    3 garlic cloves, roughly copped
    Potatoes (5-6 medium sized) peeled and cubed
    3 carrots, peeled and chopped
    2 x cans of chopped plum tomatoes
    1 x can of chickpeas drained
    475ml of water
    2x tspns of paprika
    1 tsp of chilli flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Chorizo sausage, skin removed and chopped into thick slices

Method.

Heat olive oil in large saucepan, then saute three onions until transparent and then throw in garlic, mix onion and garlic well and continue to fry for a minute or two.

Pour in tomatoes, chickpeas and water; season with paprika, chilli flakes, salt, and pepper.

Pour in carrots and potatoes, then place chicken thighs skin-side up on top of the vegetables.

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / gas mark 6.

Remove chicken from the stew and set aside. Stir in the chorizo slices, then pour the stew into a baking dish. Place the chicken thighs on top, skin-side up.

Bake in preheated oven until the stew has thickened and the chicken skin is crispy, about 15 minutes. (longer if you like crispier chicken)

I served this up with buttered crusty bread, but it could go with rice/cous cous etc.

Very hearty flavoursome meal, and the sauce that gets created from the tomatoes mixing with the juice from chorizo is unreal.

I suppose thighs could be replaced with drumsticks etc, but I don't think chicken filetts would suit as the skin is what brings out the crispiness!

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Last night - Fast day.
    Chicken casserole/tagine with North African spices, orange juice an zest.

29zwmsh.jpg

Today my cousin came for lunch and I made a salad with letuuce, mint, french beans, spring onion, fennel bulb, feta and pomegranate seeds. Dressing : honey, white wine vinegar and orange juice.
    I had bread with it :o but it was soooo goooood.

2zq7whf.jpg

65qwja.jpg

Tonight I'll have some of the leftover bread with cheese and cured meats and I'll go back to being a good girl tomorrow. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement