Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled chicken thighs; fried polenta cake; garlic and thyme roast home grown tomatoes; mange touts; garlic, thyme and beer jus.

rs_27.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tonight was Shredded Turkey & Ham with Stir Fried Cabbage, eaten cold as I'm in work, was actually delish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Loopy wrote: »
    We had Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon.

Burnt my gob it was so hot!

+1000

Saturday night I made a chilli/honey/ginger beef stir fry with pak choi, bamboo shoots & scallions.

I had quite a bit left over, so turned the remainder into a spicy beef broth this evening.

I like the idea of the broth, was thinking chicken stir fry with cauliflower rice for tomorrow, but I think you've changed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made a pot of Gulyasleves (Hungarian Goulash) last night. Leftover for tonight's dinner.

ImgEA550990.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight we will be having a beef and Guinness pie with mashed potatoes.
    Managed to make a balls of it by adding too much thyme, then I had to use four beef stock pots to tone down the thyme flavour.

Think I'll use dried thyme next time as the flavour isn't near as strong as fresh thyme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Managed to make a balls of it by adding too much thyme, then I had to use four beef stock pots to tone down the thyme flavour.

Think I'll use dried thyme next time as the flavour isn't near as strong as fresh thyme.

Each stock pot contains 5g of salt. That's a lot of NaCl! :eek: I reckon it was the salt wot ruined it, not the thyme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I had to use four beef stock pots to tone down the thyme flavour.

I need a jug of water after reading your post!:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had marinated pork chops, baby potatoes and roast veg.
    [URL="[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/10pdbib.jpg[/IMG]"]10pdbib.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night we had marinated pork chops, baby potatoes and roast veg.

Ooh can I have the recipe for the marinated chops?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Cottage pie tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ooh can I have the recipe for the marinated chops?

No problem - I posted it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76551317&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Marinated some chicken breasts in buttermilk last night and made breaded lemon chicken with mac n' cheese tonight. Wanted to make a beetroot slaw to go with it but couldn't find any beetroot. I probably could have left the mac n' cheese in the oven longer to brown a bit more.

227580.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

delicious photo

That looks so lush and comforting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

We had Tortigloni Pasta (not too keen on it tbh) with some fried up hickory rashers, sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, a little tomato puree added a tin of plum tomatoes and a little water to make a sauce, seasoned with chili powder and flakes, parmesan, thyme, cracked black pepper and a teaspoon of sweetener.
    Smelled like delicious pizza so it shall be forever know as pizza pasta in this house :P

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

I committed the ultimate sin,no dinner just chocolate all chocolate,chocolate drink,and leonidas chocolates!I had so many i feel a little tummy ache now,and im feeling a little sorry for myself,but it was my own fault!

What i had yesterday: Beef rogan josh ,cooked slowly to infuse the meat,and pierced each cube of meat with a fork to make sure it cooked through..

Tommorrow i will probably be having lebanese chicken charwarma with jeweled rice with nuts and raisins..

I wish i had pics for it,will have to do it sometime on this forum!

I would say the opposite.

Steamed hake with ginger, spring onions and soy sauce.
    Stir fried egg noodles.
    Chinese leaves.

rs_28.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and loads of black pepper. Ideally there would have been warm, butt'ry toasted brown bread as well but people who can balance their plate of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and loads of black pepper on their pot belly don't get warm, butt'ry toasted brown bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Healthy (ish) home made carbonara - no cream. It was gorgeous and took approximately 9 minutes to make, nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This evening I made Thai beanburgers with sweet potato wedges (from the cooking club) with some sweet chilli sauce

9CF0C254-BA5B-4859-9003-595D181136E1-13296-00000EA12E71ECBB.jpg

I made flapjacks for desert too

94E43801-BEA4-433E-B6A7-3AB6BF3DBA19-13296-00000EA14AD991E7.jpg

New York Strip with a dry rub of Black Pepper, Chilli, Coriander and Onion powder it was awesome, cooked rare

Edit: I'll stick up a better photo later

For no particular reason, I wanted to cook something a bit special yesterday so I did pan fried medallions of venison haunch with a chilli, chocolate and blackberry wine reduction; potato rosti; roast white beetroot, parsnip and garlic; fried sweetheart cabbage. All washed down with a very nice bottle of Barolo I had been keeping for a few years. In my anxiety to not overcook the venison, it ended up on the blue side but was still very tender and tasty. While the sauce might sound a bit odd, it really did work with the meat and the wine. We were happy campers:D:D

Heading off to Gregan's Castle today, so hopefully I'll remember to take some photos of the food on my phone.

rs_29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That's what you had the DAY BEFORE going to Gregan's Castle:eek::D

That's what you had the DAY BEFORE going to Gregan's Castle:eek::D

Ah, I want to put it up to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Cooked a meatloaf based on the Beeb's 'Meatloaf Hot or Cold' recipe.

Pork, prosciutto, parmesan, parsley...all the P's.

Just out of the oven:
    IMG-20780710-00171.jpg

With a little fried potatoes:
    IMG-20780710-00172.jpg

It wasn't bad, apparently it gets better the day after. Very rich-tasting. Meant to be lovely cold in a sandwich!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I have FINALLY managed to cook a nice pork chop! I brined it in a 5% solution of an hour then fried it on medium to medium-high for 4-4.5 minutes each side! Had it with wholegrain mustard mash, steamed broccoli and fried balsamic onions. Sooooo good, if I do say so. ;)

Oh, if you're brining, make sure rinse the meat in water after and pat dry before cooking.

1416yh1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It's not that I haven't been cooking. I have, even for ourselves, but I have cooked special meals most of the time for my poorly dog. Chicken and rice, vegetables, Mackerel and rice... lakes of eggwhites have been panfried...
    So you see there really wasn't much of motivation to cook and nicely plate up our own food, never mind taking pictures.

Yesterday I made celeriac dauphinoise, duck breast (which could have done with shorter cooking time) and mushrooms.

2qn8qir.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

@LaChatteGitane - nice photo! I remember having an epiphany once with duck. I seared it and finished it in the oven, and then rested it for what was meant to be about 5-10 mins, like I would with steak. I ended up resting it for about 20 mins (under foil so it was still warm) and it was fantastic - I find duck of all the meats needs the longest resting time.

Last night I made nachos! Sprinkled some tortilla chips with cheese and made homemade guacamole and had sour cream with them. It was delicious and a nice way to indulge without going too crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I made a roast chicken coated with olive oil and sweet and smoked paprika and a stuffing made of chorizo, peppers, onion and breadcrumbs.

I wasnt too sure if it would be as nice as a normal roast chicken, but it turned out well! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement