Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Kimia wrote: »
    @LaChatteGitane - nice photo! I remember having an epiphany once with duck. I seared it and finished it in the oven, and then rested it for what was meant to be about 5-10 mins, like I would with steak. I ended up resting it for about 20 mins (under foil so it was still warm) and it was fantastic - I find duck of all the meats needs the longest resting time.

Thanks.

It's pretty much what I do, but left it in the oven for too long this time. :)

Fast day meal
    Menemen (Turkish one pot dish with onion, peppers, tomatoes and eggs)

rsgbrc.jpg

2nvt1lw.jpg

Oh, and yoghurt/garlic sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fish Pie for Me. Much nicer Fish Pie for my pastry obsessed partner.

E21A5626-0C1C-4A81-8F0E-338DD5CED5D7-1105-00000163C50053B3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Tonight I made a stirfry- marinated the chicken in rice wine, soy sauce and paprika.

-yellow bell pepper, carrots, peas, mushrooms, onion, garlic, spring onion and some hot sauce!

214F6A4A-B68B-4ECF-848A-8ED797247F11-15922-000010BEEAE2857E.jpg

Plated up with brown rice

B9A4B480-BEB0-41B5-A5DF-24AD8C5B1E92-15922-000010BEFC9410EC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Biryani with spice-rubbed chicken legs.
    Pretty yum, but must remember to make some sort of curry sauce or dhal the next time as accompaniment.

photo10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

garlic rubbed roast pork tenderloin with roast potatoes and gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fast day meal
    Menemen (Turkish one pot dish with onion, peppers, tomatoes and eggs)

Oh, and yoghurt/garlic sauce.

Looks good. Reminds me of Huevos rancheros without a torilla (never heard of menemen, so might be the same thing just in turkish)

Mellor wrote: »
    Looks good. Reminds me of Huevos rancheros without a torilla (never heard of menemen, so might be the same thing just in turkish)

It probably is, come to think of it. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It probably is, come to think of it. :D

LaChatteGitane, are you doing 5:2 fasting or alternate day fasting? How are you finding it?

Faith wrote: »
    LaChatteGitane, are you doing 5:2 fasting or alternate day fasting? How are you finding it?

Hi Faith,

I'm doing the 5:2 with fasting on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I am flexible if something else comes along on those days.
    I am also on a low carb diet at the same time with the unavoidable blips. The low carb is especially to decrease my blood sugar levels.
    It seems to have helped with the blood sugar, as it was 6.9 and is now 6.1, which is still 0.1 above the max.

I'm finding the 5:2 very doable. We fast all day and eat our 500/600 cal meal at dinner time. Yes, the husband is on it too.
    Of course there are some fast days that I don't seem to have enough with my portions and then it's hard going. I always keep some calories for a yoghurt with some fresh fruit for a little later in the evening.
    Yesterday was a particular difficult day and I think it is when there is not enough 'substance' to the meal. If that makes sence.
    I definitely need a lot of colour and various textures in my fast day meals.

The low carb works too, but not as easy because I do miss my homemade bread and pasta.:(

Oh, and I have lost some weight too (more than 10 kg) which is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sunday was a busy day in the Billy kitchen. I did traditional slow roasted leg of lamb with roasted garlicky veg for Sunday dinner.

As I got a bit of a deal on the lamb from my butcher I also roasted a second smaller joint & put on extra veg for Mrs Billy to make a good ol' Shepherd's Pie for Monday.

I also made a Tunisian-style chicken stew with celery, onion, carrots, peppers & turnip sweated off with a spice mix of cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon & cloves.
    Then added a tin of tomatoes & some puree with a bit of chicken stock.

I then flash-fried chicken pieces that had been coated in harissa & olive oil. When done, I laid them on the top of the stew to gently cook through.

All told, I made 5 day's worth of dinners in 2 hours on Sunday afternoon. :)

I think that I am in with a good chance of winning the 'Husband of the Week Award' in my house. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Major brownie points there THB!

On Saturday the hubby made chicken curry with home made onion rings in beer batter.

On Sunday I made chicken cacciatore with pasta, but the texture of the pasta with it seemed wrong so next time I'll do baked potatoes with it.

Lat night we had fried eggs, rashers and chipper chips - lazy and calorie-laden but yum :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi Faith,

I'm doing the 5:2 with fasting on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I am flexible if something else comes along on those days.
    I am also on a low carb diet at the same time with the unavoidable blips. The low carb is especially to decrease my blood sugar levels.
    It seems to have helped with the blood sugar, as it was 6.9 and is now 6.1, which is still 0.1 above the max.

I'm finding the 5:2 very doable. We fast all day and eat our 500/600 cal meal at dinner time. Yes, the husband is on it too.
    Of course there are some fast days that I don't seem to have enough with my portions and then it's hard going. I always keep some calories for a yoghurt with some fresh fruit for a little later in the evening.
    Yesterday was a particular difficult day and I think it is when there is not enough 'substance' to the meal. If that makes sence.
    I definitely need a lot of colour and various textures in my fast day meals.

The low carb works too, but not as easy because I do miss my homemade bread and pasta.:(

Sorry everyone, I know I'm taking the thread off topic a little here!

I've started doing it myself to see if I can lose weight doing it. I only managed one fast day last week, mostly because I only decided to start it on Wednesday! I'm doing another fast day today, and plan to do one on Thursday. Do you blog your fast day recipes?

Back on topic, we had a beef and red wine ravioli for dinner last night, in a sweet cherry tomato and basil sauce, served with garlic bread. It was SO filling!

Tonight is a slow-cooked beef stew that's currently in the slow cooker :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Cute pastry

Your pastry decoration is soooo cute, though at first I thought it was a one-eyed cockerel. :o

That's loads! :eek:

Faith wrote: »
    Sorry everyone, I know I'm taking the thread off topic a little here!

I've started doing it myself to see if I can lose weight doing it. I only managed one fast day last week, mostly because I only decided to start it on Wednesday! I'm doing another fast day today, and plan to do one on Thursday. Do you blog your fast day recipes?

Back on topic, we had a beef and red wine ravioli for dinner last night, in a sweet cherry tomato and basil sauce, served with garlic bread. It was SO filling!

Tonight is a slow-cooked beef stew that's currently in the slow cooker :).

Good luck, Faith. Be relatively relaxed about it and you'll do well. Planning your meals well will be half the battle.

Your ravioli sounds fantastic, btw. :cool:

That's loads! :eek:

I did start mid August, though. ...and I had lots to lose.;) Mind you, I didn't have my starting weight, due to lack of scales, but I have a fair idea.

I'm now well below 80 kg for the first time in 10 years.:o

I did start mid August, though. ...and I had lots to lose.;) Mind you, I didn't have my starting weight, due to lack of scales, but I have a fair idea.

I'm now well below 80 kg for the first time in 10 years.:o

Well done! :)

And now to steer back on-topic.

I had roast chicken with mash, roast veggies and gravy last night. Simple but delicious. It was my first time roasting a chuck, and it came out so juicy. But it could have done with 10 minutes more, as there were some fairly red meat bits close to the bone. I just fried the chicken lightly for a few minutes to remedy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hope nobody minds me posting all these pictures.
    Mods, feel free to delete as appropriate.

As I said on Saturday, Mrs Beer and myself headed off the Gregan's Castle Hotel for a couple of nights with dinner on the Saturday (their last dinner service before they closed yesterday until Valentines). It was amazing.
    Pics aren't great as taken with my phone:(

Canapés

2012_11_10_213843.jpg

From right to left (as that was the order I ate them); Chicken liver pate, deep fried quail's egg, smoked salmon mousse - chicken liver was the stand out there.

Amuse Bouche

2012_11_10_215206.jpg

Mushroom Jelly with artichoke cream. Stunningly good - and I don't really like mushrooms.

Foie Gras and Lobster with Apple and Salted Almonds

2012_11_10_220249.jpg

This was the the stand out plate of the meal - and again, I don't usually like foie gras!:o

Pan Roasted Cod with Chicken Ravioli, Celeriac & Lovage

2012_11_10_222349.jpg

This was, for both of us, the weakest course - nothing bad but just not a lot of flavour going on.

Wild Wicklow Venison, Smoked Carrot and Shallot

2012_11_10_224257.jpg

This was very good - venison cooked beautifully (a bit more done than mine of Friday!) and even a bit of potato on the plate - we were getting a bit full by this time, though.

Lemon, Celery & Thyme with blueberries

2012_11_10_230521.jpg

This pre dessert/palate cleanser was amazing, the dusting on the plate was juniper and the combination of sweet/sour/savoury was stunning another serious stand out plate amongst so many good courses.

Passion Fruit Suufflé, White Chocolate Sorbet

2012_11_10_232131_1.jpg

Fantastic dessert. Warm and creamy inside with a lovely cake crust - perfect and simple.

Coffee served with Petit Fours

2012_11_10_233602.jpg

A beautiful plate of fancies but to be honest we were a bit sweeted out by this time - should have asked for a mini cheese plate instead.

All in all, a truly fantastic eating experience.
    8 course menu priced @ €69 - great value in my opinion.
    The service and accommodation were also top notch - I really, really like this hotel.
    Nice selection of Irish beers in the bar, too and a really great wine list.

Last night had fish fingers and cheese on toast with chutney!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

@the beer revolu, that looks stunning. Its rare I see a set menu like that where I'd eat everything, but that really does look amazing.

MarkMc wrote: »
    @the beer revolu, that looks stunning. Its rare I see a set menu like that where I'd eat everything, but that really does look amazing.

It was the kind of meal where you'd eat things you normally "don't like" because you just know it has to be good.

Now ! That looks fantastic !

I feel full just looking at all of those pictures!

Another fast day meal
    My favourite (or at least one of them) prawns and Asian style coleslaw and cauliflower 'rice'. It's gonna be windy here again tonight :o
    jakz7r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Another fast day meal
    My favourite (or at least one of them) prawns and Asian style coleslaw and cauliflower 'rice'. It's gonna be windy here again tonight :o

Your meals always look amazing! If you ever need a dinner guest just holler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Burgers and wedges

228457.jpg

A very simple dinner tonight - smoked bacon omelette with a mixed bean, avocado and carrot salad with a few jalapeños thrown in for good measure!

E89D34A1-A033-4606-9906-B1D56226EDC2-16707-0000118DF6B8EAFD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Tartiflette tonight - not healthy in the least but so good on a cold winter night, and had to do something in the oven to help justify having it on for hours for the Christmas cake!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

20121113_184906.jpg

Spicy Mediterranean bangers and mash with onion gravy. Not even remotely healthy but extremely delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement