Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Coconut and lime encrusted chicken with stir fry veg and mango chutney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stirfried pork with garlic, ginger, lime juice, sambal, soy, baby aubergine's, okra, scallions and finished it with honey and sriracha and rice vermicelli, noms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Romanesco brocolli cheese and Clonakilty whitepudding that I grabbed in Cork airport before getting on the plane last Friday - paid for it of course :D

162fxl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Beer did the dinner last night:
    Grilled chicken thighs, rice, beetroot greens and a lovely chickeny, gingery, winey, soy jus.

rs_30.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Romanesco brocolli cheese and Clonakilty whitepudding that I grabbed in Cork airport before getting on the plane last Friday - paid for it of course :D

:eek:Looks like you have a full pudding on the plate there;)

That broccoli/cheese looks fantastic, I'll have to try something like that.

• Advertisement

:D Depends on the size of the pudding. It was a ring and I had half.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Did my favourite fish this evening; mackerel.
    Grilled it for about 12 minutes and served it with a simple salad. :o
    It was delicious.

1672qtg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wife was out tonight, had the boys round. Decided to do a couple of C&R's classic threads. :D
    biggrin.png
    Chicken wings done Franks style. I was more nervous of cooking these than Christmas Dinner. I've read so many posts with so many variations wasn't sure which way to go. decided on:

1Kg Chicken wings. Chopped off the end piece, broke the joint and cut the wing in two. Coated in flour, seasoned with salt and white pepper with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Put in fridge for the afternoon.

Filled a large pan with two bottles of sunflower oil. Bring to hot. Dropped in a dozen chicken pieces. Stirred round then left. When the chicken pieces rise to the surface, they're cooked. (I didn't know this beforehand but now i do, it takes a lot of the worry out of it. :rolleyes:)

When cooked, with a slotted spoon place chicken pieces on tissue paper in warm oven.

Repeat till finished.

Transfer to large oven-proof dish. Pour over Franks sauce (bought in Tesco). Add loads (75g) of butter (I used normal salted). Place in hot oven for 10 minutes. Then stir sauce, wings and butter.

Served with Blue Cheese Dip:

1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons finely chopped onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon white vinegar (red is fine too)
    1/2 cup mild blue cheese, crumbled
    1 teaspoon minced garlic

Mix all ingredients together and stick in the fridge for a good few hours beforehand.

Serve with rolls of Kitchen Towels. Very messy

Bloody lovely they were. A little bit spicy but not rocket fuel.

For mains we had Pizza cooked on my newish pizza stone. Pizza stone put in oven at start and heated to 240+

Pizza Dough http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

Tipo Flour with semolina - the best way to get thin and crispy dough.

Topped with:

1. Passata with spicy chorizo, peppers and grated mozzarella, sprinkled with oregano.
    2. Passata with slices of raw salmon, grated mozzerarella, sprinkled with dill.
    3. Passata and grated mozarella.

Liberally sprinkle baking tray, that has no lip, with semolina. Put pizza on to tray and then 'flick' pizza on to hot pizza stone. When edges are browned transfer to large plate or chopping board with fry slice or large flat knife.

Washed down with loads of bottles of Aldi Rosso Italiano €3.99 - best bottle of wine in Ireland - bar none!

No pics of course. Boys don't take pics of their dinner and post them on line. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Another fast day meal
    My favourite (or at least one of them) prawns and Asian style coleslaw and cauliflower 'rice'. It's gonna be windy here again tonight :o

You have the best photos! What's the sauce over the prawns? They look delicious!

Kimia wrote: »
    You have the best photos! What's the sauce over the prawns? They look delicious!

Thanks ! :o I think the beer revolu's and Yekah's (Yitzhak Rabin now ??) pics are the best. :D

The sauce over the prawns was the marinade that I cooked out a bit.
    Garlic, chillies, sprinkle of curry powder, ginger, fish sauce and white wine vinegar.... I believe it was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Thanks ! :o I think the beer revolu's and Yekah's (Yitzhak Rabin now ??) pics are the best. :D

The sauce over the prawns was the marinade that I cooked out a bit.
    Garlic, chillies, sprinkle of curry powder, ginger, fish sauce and white wine vinegar.... I believe it was.

I'm flattered :o but I'm not even in the same league as yourself and the beer revolution. I only started cooking for myself properly this year. I lived in the US last year and cooked a grand total of 2 meals over the 12 months :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Your meals always look amazing! If you ever need a dinner guest just holler :)

Join the queue ;)

Made some comfort food as we face our first Canadian winter, wanted to stock the freezer with dinners before we start work also.

My girlfriend made her award winning (with me anyway) chilli, with an extra spicey kick for me. One of her best yet, have 2 portions defrosting now :D

Made a coddle, running the gauntlet of trying to find a decent sausage, or at least one that could pass for an Irish one to the un-trained eye. We ended up with these massive ones from a butcher, they were 'mild Italian sausages' little to no seasoning and very little fat content, make up for it in size though. We used the fatty canadian bacon, great under the grill, crispy and not as salty as Irish but next time I'm using the bacon eyes I saw in the supermarket. In with that went onion, leek, celery, potatos, pepper, parsley and a large glug of whatever pale ale I was drinking at the time and water. Turned out delicious.

An Irish stew, cheap stewing beef, turnip, leek, carrots, onion, sweet potato, potatos, a can of Hockley's Black and Tan, a stock cube, pepper, parsley, garlic and water to top up. Turned out fantastic, the stewing beef was much better quality then what I've got at home and we had enough to feed 8.

Last night was marinaded pork chops, honey mustard for her, local BBQ and hotsauce for him, served with giant bakers with sour cream with parsley, pepper and chopped pickle added and my trade mark mountain of cabbage.

Over the weekend we'll be making a lasagne and a bolognaise for the freezer.

I'm flattered :o but I'm not even in the same league as yourself and the beer revolution. I only started cooking for myself properly this year. I lived in the US last year and cooked a grand total of 2 meals over the 12 months :o

Yeah ? Who's food is on your photo's then ? :D
    They did grab me when I first joined the boards and it has stuck in my mind ever since. I thought to myself I'd better hire a professional shoot my food. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Last night we had lemon and ginger chicken, served with noodles and chopped green onions. Didn't last long enough for me to get a photo!

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    An Irish stew, cheap stewing beef, turnip, leek, carrots, onion, sweet potato, potatos, a can of Hockley's Black and Tan, a stock cube, pepper, parsley, garlic and water to top up.

Sounds lovely.... but Irish stew??
    Neither Irish in style or ingredients!!

Coddle sounds nice too!

Sounds lovely.... but Irish stew??
    Neither Irish in style or ingredients!!

Coddle sounds nice too!
    Ok not by definition, we shall call it 'Ad-lib Beef and Black and Tan Stew' but that's what we always called Irish stew in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight will be Mammy bolognese with lots of fresh bread, butter, cheese & a veritable parade of Cuba Libras for dessert. Followed by dinner 2 of an entire bag of tortilla chips with guacamole if all the Cuba Libras don't go to my head and straight from the bag if they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Garlic marinaded pork chops, mashed buttery milky potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last nigh, we had roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast carrots and gravy. Quite delicious!

However. I cooked the chicken in my new halogen oven. 60 minutes in total. It was OUTSTANDING. It was the best chicken I've ever eaten. It was INCREDIBLY juicy and succulent and just unbelievable. While we were eating, our upstairs neighbour took a bath and there's obviously a leak somewhere. Water started dripping down into the room we were in and we both just ignored it until we'd finished :D

1raBJl.jpg

/edit: I stuck a meat thermometer into it at the end to make sure it was done, and got internal temps over over 80 degrees C. I thought I had incinerated it by accident, but no!

Mrs Beer cooked again last night.
    Minced free range pork stirfried with onions, ginger, garlic, chilli, a strange Indian thing like a courgette or marrow, coconut milk, lemon grass, spring onion, reduced chicken stock served with rice glass noodles. Yummy tasty.:D

DSC02026.jpg

• Advertisement

I returned home starving last night and the gf had a Goulash on the go, first time trying it and I must say its delicious, served with some crusty bread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sticky lemon chicken. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Roast Chicken with roasted parsnips, spuds & sweet potatoes and carrots.

169C40BC-1D91-4FCC-9899-ACEAAE9BF52A-703-0000008898772170.jpg

Heh very similar to Faiths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Made a curry this evening, had been shopping and picked up quite a few things without a particular curry in mind! Ended up as follows;

Seasoning & sauce - garlic, cumin, curry powder, Sea salt, cracked pepper, chilli flakes, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, coconut milk

Ingredients - chicken, button mushrooms, red bell pepper, spring onion, kidney beans, baby tomatoes and kale

Turned out to be very tasty! And had it with brown rice

9CFE6498-DF42-498F-A759-EBB7DCA7609F-19570-00001535C7251CE1.jpg

7D969BA0-A0E9-4AE9-9C86-10CF4C367C10-19570-00001535D416C726.jpg

Tonight I made a chicken salad - seasoned the chicken, onions, kale and mushrooms with paprika and green jalapeño hot sauce. Used some mixed leaves and beetroot with baby tomatoes, black olives, kidney beans spring onion and a small bit of grated Parmesan.

91975B5B-26DD-4C44-B951-5728F92BCCFF-20100-0000162D20690988.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Smothered pork chops with mash and green beans, I am so doing that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Meatball sub, smothered in cheese. So bad but sooo good :)

mbsub-1-of-1.jpg?w=538&h=358

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haven't looked in here in awhile.
    Sorry I did now.
    Bloody starving. This thread should be banned.

Salmon - paprika, cracked pepper, honey and soy sauce (done in the oven)

Cous Cous - marinated in sweet chilli sauce and cumin with raisins

Salad - bistro leaves, spring onion, black olives, gherkin, red bell pepper, baby tomatoes, nuts and green jalapeño hot sauce as a dressing

8D3BE291-75B4-42A8-9516-0B4F42085BF4-20512-000016C737EE7D72.jpg

• Advertisement

Meatball sub, smothered in cheese. So bad but sooo good :)

I'd thank that twice if I could! Looks delicious!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement