Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Honey & mustard glazed ham with stuffing, onion gravy and herby, scalliony mash. Forgot to take a pic!

I'm drooling here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ribs cooked using The Sweeper's method but different marinades and sauces ( BBQ and stout mainly) served with the flesh of a baked sweet potato and peas, absolutely delicious.

*Edit: Credit were credits due: The Sweeper's cooking club, by far the best method of cooking ribs I've tried. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

D4A4A141-9E1C-4027-9201-E6B2BF86D3D5-2086-000002E67BA9CEE8-1.jpg

Low-Carb Chicken Curry with Cauliflower 'rice'. Nice to change it up a bit.

Apologies for the crappy iPhone pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Found a wild venison haunch yesterday at a very reasonable price so roasted same (wrapped with a couple of rashers) a served with fried onions and horseradish mash

Was very nice indeed and the meat was just the rare side of medium rare. Made a quick sauce of red wine, the meat juices and redcurrant source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had a Sri Lankan crab curry with coconut rice yesterday. Also made a batch of braised beef in guinness for pies (finishing today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Took a trip to an Asian supermarket yesterday to pick up a few bits, so tonight's dinner was a chicken noodle soup - perfect for this miserable rain!

Chicken, onions, spring onions, red bell pepper, button mushrooms, 2 red chillis, kale, chicken stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, paprika, pepper and vermicelli noodles

04CA64F4-3567-459F-8FB3-D59A203E7F34-23909-00001B5500B84B60.jpg

Oh and picked up some coconut oil - first time cooking with it and was very impressed!

Ten beef and guinness pies in the freezer (one tester for lunch). Dinner tonight was Thai duck and lychee curry with jasmine rice. Pimped a shop bought thai red curry paste to add some oomph with spices, lemongrass, lime leaves, fish sauce and lime juice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had stuffed pork steak with apple sauce.
    vzako1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

tmc86 wrote: »
    Took a trip to an Asian supermarket yesterday to pick up a few bits, so tonight's dinner was a chicken noodle soup - perfect for this miserable rain!

Hi tmc,

That looks fantastic - would you care to share the recipe?

Thanks!
    Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi tmc,

That looks fantastic - would you care to share the recipe?

Thanks!
    Loire.

Thanks Loire!

I didn't follow a particular recipe, most of my dishes are made by experimenting and just adding things that I like!
    • I put on a pot of just boiled water (about 1/1.5 litres) and added a chicken stock cube stirring it in and adding about a tablespoon of soy sauce and roughly 2 teaspoons of fish sauce.
    • I then added the Kale and spring onions and a bit of black pepper and left it to simmer.
    • I diced up 2 chicken breasts and fried them in a pan with the coconut oil,garlic and paprika.
    • About halfway through the cooking of the chicken I added some chopped onions and red chilli.
    • I then dropped in the noodles to the simmering stock/soup.
    • Back to the chicken I mixed in the chopped pepper and mushrooms cooking gently for about 3-4 minutes so that they were soft but not overdone as they will cook further in the stock.
    • Once the chicken and veg had cooked I dumped these into the pot and let simmer for a further 5-10 minutes on a low heat.
    Using a big ladle I served into a bowl! I was suprised at how much it made - I had two bowls last night and there's enough for another 3-4 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks a mil for that!
    Loire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Not from last night, but from last week.

I took a pasta making class and got to eat the coursework.

230268.jpg

Ravioli with tomato sauce, gorgozola sauce and basil pesto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thanks Loire!

I didn't follow a particular recipe, most of my dishes are made by experimenting and just adding things that I like!
    • I put on a pot of just boiled water (about 1/1.5 litres) and added a chicken stock cube stirring it in and adding about a tablespoon of soy sauce and roughly 2 teaspoons of fish sauce.
    • I then added the Kale and spring onions and a bit of black pepper and left it to simmer.
    • I diced up 2 chicken breasts and fried them in a pan with the coconut oil,garlic and paprika.
    • About halfway through the cooking of the chicken I added some chopped onions and red chilli.
    • I then dropped in the noodles to the simmering stock/soup.
    • Back to the chicken I mixed in the chopped pepper and mushrooms cooking gently for about 3-4 minutes so that they were soft but not overdone as they will cook further in the stock.
    • Once the chicken and veg had cooked I dumped these into the pot and let simmer for a further 5-10 minutes on a low heat.
    Using a big ladle I served into a bowl! I was suprised at how much it made - I had two bowls last night and there's enough for another 3-4 tonight.

I would have added the noodles a lot later but besides that, looks lovely and might give it a lash :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    I would have added the noodles a lot later but besides that, looks lovely and might give it a lash :)

Yeah you're right! I wasn't sure how long they'd take - all the packaging was in Chinese! I think they only need a couple of minutes so will add them at the end next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah you're right! I wasn't sure how long they'd take - all the packaging was in Chinese! I think they only need a couple of minutes so will add them at the end next time.

Well, when I make them normally I just put them in a bowl, pour over boiling water and leaving them to sit there for 3 minutes, then add them to my stir fries/curries/whatever.

I'd say just add them for the last 3 or 4 minutes of soup and you'd be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Worked a 12 hour shift yesterday and completely forgot to eat, so my dinner was a pack of manhattan peanuts, hardly worth a photo.

Tonight however was black pepper crusted fillet steak with brocolli

12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Have read nearly all of this thread, I was starving yesterday while finishing it off!

Some really fantastic recipes and beautiful looking dishes here.

Here is my dinner from yesterday, tomato and basil soup from Faith's blog and some homemade Dill and Poppyseed soda bread.

All in all I enjoyed it. The soup was definitely the best tomato soup I have made (I am very particular about my tomato soup!).

IMG_0929.jpg

Roast chicken with sourdough. I spatchcocked a chook and dressed it with lemon juice, garlic and thyme. Then laid the bird on 4 thick slices of sourdough and scattered fresh cherry tomatoes before roasting for 40 minutes.

Had pepper crusted sirloin steak this evening with some homemade wedges but I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of the final plate!!

0DE92B7C-A12F-46DA-B5F4-836D82B84AB3-24704-00001C557834CC92.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

First time to post here, I had originally planned to post a photo of a Chicken Enchilada soup I made the other week but I deleted the photo by mistake!

So my first one is a strange combo from tonight, really lazy and some comfort food but absolutely delicious.

Pan fried lamb chop with homemade chips, a side of mayo, and grilled beetroot and mushroom.
    i9OAc.jpg

For a fancier dish, I also made a french onion soup in the slow cooker last week. Now that was lovely!

DYgyv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

blueturnip wrote: »
    Here is my dinner from yesterday, tomato and basil soup from Faith's blog and some homemade Dill and Poppyseed soda bread.

All in all I enjoyed it. The soup was definitely the best tomato soup I have made (I am very particular about my tomato soup!).

\o/

This makes me so happy :). It looks great!

Sorry about the size of those guys, have fixed them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

dan185 wrote: »
    Sorry about the size of those guys, have fixed them!
    No problem. I tried resizing them, it didn't work then suddenly they were fixed and I thought I'd done it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Faith wrote: »
    \o/

This makes me so happy :). It looks great!

It looks nyum. Have you a link to your blog Faith? I want to make the soup too!

Pan fried lamb chop with homemade chips, a side of mayo, and grilled beetroot and mushroom.

Oh my Lawd, your homemade chips look AMAZING! WAY better than anything I've ever attempted. How did you make them and cook them? Any secret tips? Did you use floury potatoes? Deep fry them? I'm very excited about the nommy-looking chips. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merkin wrote: »
    It looks nyum. Have you a link to your blog Faith? I want to make the soup too!

It's in my sig, but I think sigs are turned off by default these days for newer members? That's what someone once told me, anyway. However, it's bakingismycrack.blogspot.com. I haven't updated it in MONTHS but might get back to it soon :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks for that Faith, it looks great, you should keep at it. Not surprised it's a Darina recipe, she can be trusted for everything imo! Cheers

Oh my Lawd, your homemade chips look AMAZING! WAY better than anything I've ever attempted. How did you make them and cook them? Any secret tips? Did you use floury potatoes? Deep fry them? I'm very excited about the nommy-looking chips. :o

no secret other than frying them twice! Cut fairly thin. 170c for 4 minutes, let them cool off for 5 minutes whilst the lamb cooked, then back in for 3 minutes at 190. Let drain on paper towel, sprinkle with paprika, salt and vinegar. Paprika is the ultimate garnish for chips imo!

Really really crispy on the outside, softer in the centre.

I just noticed how greasy the lamb looks in that photo, feck it, I enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

where is the Beer Rev' gone? Missing his gorgeous pics and food:(

• Advertisement

no secret other than frying them twice! Cut fairly thin. 170c for 4 minutes, let them cool off for 5 minutes whilst the lamb cooked, then back in for 3 minutes at 190. Let drain on paper towel, sprinkle with paprika, salt and vinegar. Paprika is the ultimate garnish for chips imo!

Really really crispy on the outside, softer in the centre.

I just noticed how greasy the lamb looks in that photo, feck it, I enjoyed it!

I've only had twice-cooked chips once, in Ely in Dublin, but gawd they were amazing. I understood then what the fuss about them was all about! I love skinny, extra crunchy chips though, which they were, so they had me at that. But the twice-cookedness just made them transcendental. OK, I might need to calm down a bit. :o And buy a deep fat fryer or chip pan.

What kind of spuds did you use?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement