Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've only had twice-cooked chips once, in Ely in Dublin, but gawd they were amazing. I understood then what the fuss about them was all about! I love skinny, extra crunchy chips though, which they were, so they had me at that. But the twice-cookedness just made them transcendental. OK, I might need to calm down a bit. :o And buy a deep fat fryer or chip pan.

What kind of spuds did you use?

Is it not standard practice to cook chips twice? Where I work all the chips are made in house, freshly cut then blanched are 140 and crisped up to order at 180. Both in the fryer, the key is in cooking them just right in the blanching. I thought the special ones were chips cooked three times like Heston Blumenthal does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

My food hasn't been worth photographing lately. We've also had a few dinners out with friends. Plus that I've been busy with other stuff.

Today, however, I had a bread making session ;) for the OH and my mum, who'll need surgery this Friday. I'll stick some of the bread in the freezer, so that I don't have to run for bread every other day when she gets home.

24y3jvb.jpg

For myself I made a low carb bread from a blummin packet. It looks like a loaf, so it better tastes like one too.

a1pblw.jpg

Tonight we'll be having chicken thighs and braised chicory (fast day)
    Last night I had tiger prawns (again) in a spicy putanesca sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Is it not standard practice to cook chips twice?

I don't know. I had never had chips like the Ely ones. Don't forget, lots and lots of places do really great food but utterly bogstandard chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

my mom made a baked ham the other night and there was a bit left over in the fridge. there was also some roasted carrots and parsnips. i had to cook today but i was broke so i just about afforded a packet of cheese. i made a pasta bake by chopping up the ham and vegetables and combining them with some chopped rashers. the sauce i made was a cheese sauce and i topped the bake with cheddar, parmesan and a few blobs of.pesto. it was delish! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pasta with broccoli, garlic, chilli, sardines and anchovy sauce. Have a piece of bottarga in the fridge that I used to grate over the dish for a fishy, salty kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

joanofarc wrote: »
    where is the Beer Rev' gone? Missing his gorgeous pics and food:(
    Been away working for a few days.
    Back home now so should be cooking again :)

I wonder where Trackguy and Karen are ??

I did do dinner on Friday for some friends but no pics as it can seem a bit silly to be photographing your meal with people around.
    We had miso soup with spring onion, wakame and tofu to start.
    Roast loin of free range pork with amazing crackling; roast carrots, parsnip, beetroot, shallot and garlic, duck fat roast spuds, fine green beans.
    Ratafia trifle.
    Cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

... I wonder where Trackguy and Karen are ?? ...

trackguy is back. xxxkarenxxx was online yesterday also. Hopefully, we'll have the benefit of them posting here again soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

THE BEER REVOLU "I did do dinner on Friday for some friends but no pics as it can seem a bit silly to be photographing your meal with people around."

The first time I photographed my dinner for this thread, my kids were saying whats that all about??????, they soon put two and two together, My kids laugh at me now every time I get my camera out, felt silly at first also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I managed to wrench victory from the jaws of stupidity the other day. I invited some friends round for goat's cheese ravioli, then promptly stuffed up the recipe by mixing the sauce with the filling! In my defense, the recipe from East Village Kitchen as posted is this:
    6 oz. fresh goat cheese
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
    5 sage leaves, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
    salt and fresh ground black pepper
    Pasta dough, rolled into sheets (see Fresh Pasta post on this blog)
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
    and you have to go up and down through the blog to find out what's part of what, which isn't great when you're cooking dinner for 5, two of whom you have to cook sausages for at the same time as making the pasta, because they can't eat it.
    Anyway, long story long: it wound up as pappardelle with a creamy goat's cheese and wine sauce. My friends said it was lovely, but my brother was more critical.

Pasta: 100g pasta flour, 1 large egg, pinch salt, drop of oil. Mix to dough, knead for a while, rest in fridge for an hour. Flour, roll out, cut to size, leave to dry a bit. Easy peasy.

Put cheeses, herbs, and spices in a bowl. Add milk. Realise you shouldn't have added the milk because that's for the sauce, not the filling. Stare at it, like that'll get the milk out. Swear a lot. Declare 'Fúck it!' and add the wine to the bowl, have a drop yourself, why not. Mixy, mixy. Put in saucepan and reduce till thickened. Use to coat the pasta.

The nutmeg really gives a lovely flavour. If I were cooking it for non vegetarians I'd probably add some smoked lardons to balance it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

We are still alive! ;) Just gotten a bit lazy with posts :o Between the two of us we have a big back log of dinner photos so will definitly start posting again. I forgot how good this thread is! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

trackguy is back. xxxkarenxxx was online yesterday also. Hopefully, we'll have the benefit of them posting here again soon. :)

Mental image of a batsignal saying 'trackguy' there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Potato and cabbage mash with homemade onion gravy, turnip and linda mccartney rosemary sausages. Cant move now. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had mashed potato and carrot & turnip mash with rashers - one of my favourite winter dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Spag Bolognese (linguini instead of spahgetti) made with smoked pancetta and rather a lot of vino in the pot too!

Got home to find that all the leftovers from Friday's roast were untouched.
    So I made a pork and roast veg pie - all I had to do was make the pastry:D

DSC02029.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Honey, soy and garlic roast chicken

Served with steamed broccoli and red cabbage, thyme oven roasted carrots and stuffing balls

Used the chicken and soy juices for a light gravy.

Needless to say it hit the spot on such a cold mid-week Wednesday!

3343D51A-CF72-4E3C-B24F-7404E177C534-26222-00001E399E71F9A6.jpg

606FE1BE-247A-4747-9B87-5C183EB831A2-26222-00001E3980BC4C88.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

tmc86 wrote: »
    Honey, soy and garlic roast chicken

Served with steamed broccoli and red cabbage, thyme oven roasted carrots and stuffing balls

Used the chicken and soy juices for a light gravy.

Needless to say it hit the spot on such a cold mid-week Wednesday!

Could you paste the recipe for the honey, soy and garlic rub you've used on the chicken? It looks lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had chicken tikka masala from Jamie's Ministery of Food - it was absolutely delicious! Had it with poppadoms, naan bread and raita. Yum!

fussyonion wrote: »

Could you paste the recipe for the honey, soy and garlic rub you've used on the chicken? It looks lovely

Thank you!

I chopped two cloves of garlic and mixed into a bowl with about a tablespoon of soy sauce and about a tablespoon of honey.

With the chicken in the roasting tin I used a spoon to cover the chicken and rubbed it in with my fingers leaving it sit for a while mind before it went into the oven.

After half an hour I took it out and spooned the juices back over the chicken making sure to cover every bit! Added a small bit of sea salt to the skin then.

It was in the oven for an hour and 20mins then I left it to rest for about 10mins before carving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Two lean pork chops marinaded in Walkerswood Hot & Spicey Jerk Seasoning served with peas and baked sweet potato.

The gf had chicken marinaded in paprika and stubbys BBQ sauce, turned out beautifully, a real vibrant red with blackened parts.

Sorry no photos, no time :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

So I made a pork and roast veg pie

His little pastry snout looks delicious!

Last night was an omelette with spring onions, ham & a tomato & rocket salad. Tonight will be something from the newish Vietnamese place on Capel street or else Musashi.

I made beefburgers yesterday with creamed scorzoneras and 2 slices of low carb bread.
    It really isn't worth taking a picture from but I did anyway.:o:(

ehkkz5.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night, we had leftover shepherd's pie in the fridge. Unfortunately, there wasn't a huge amount of it, and having spent a substantial part of the evening in the pub, we were more than peckish. So I sent my better half to the chipper to get chips, which we ate with the shepherd's pie. Very Irish, and VERY delicious :D:D.

We had homemade chinese for dinner the other night. Steamed pork dumplings, szechuan chicken, sticky char siu pork noodles and chilli kale.

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14204

Then mixed berry crumble cake for dessert

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14205

We had homemade chinese for dinner the other night. Steamed pork dumplings, szechuan chicken, sticky char siu pork noodles and chilli kale.

Looks fantastic. Did you make the steamed pork buns too? - I always buy them frozen.

Looks fantastic. Did you make the steamed pork buns too? - I always buy them frozen.

Thanks! No I just bough them frozen from the Asia market too. Do want to try making them myself though at some stage, They are so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I had chicken tikka masala from Jamie's Ministery of Food - it was absolutely delicious! Had it with poppadoms, naan bread and raita. Yum!

Love that too - have made it loads of times -NYOM NYOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Baked potato filled with smoked bacon, chicken, mayo & spring onion and topped with cheese.

1B55EC0D-BE63-44BD-99DF-BC4989AD6363-2604-0000028B1598006B.jpg

Ardenner pork loin chop (which is ever so slightly smoked) with sauerkraut and a baked apple, stuffed with sauteed onion, rosemary, thyme and cranberries. Would have added sage, but I think my dog might have lifted his leg to it, so thought better not.

148htah.jpg

• Advertisement

I still have lots of the soy garlic chicken from last night so I stir fried it with some onions, red cabbage, red pepper, vermicelli noodles and some peanut satay sauce.

35A5EC4E-E738-4BEC-89B9-EB0769113901-27178-00001F728828AFD4.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement