Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Made a really simple but tasty chicken dinner yesterday - had been getting bored of the same chicken dinners all the time and wanted something not tomatoey or spicy for once.

Breast of chicken coated with a mix of olive oil, basil and marmalade and then roasted in the oven.
    Baby potatoes with butter and herbs.
    Cheesey cauliflower and broccoli.

Turned out lovely, don't often cook chicken in the oven but it was really moist and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tonight was Venison leg steak (cooked very rare of course) with sauteed leeks and pan jus.

Venison.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried then grilled chicken thighs with tomatoes and a white wine jus.
    Slaw of carrot, fennel, Jerusalem artichoke and orange juice.

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

For dinner tonight we are having hot and spicy chicken wings and BBQ ribs to start, then we are having strip loin steaks, spinach and chips for mains, then plenty of sweets while watching the toy show :D

To start: Pollack cerviche, pan fried paprika dusted monkfish cheeks, wilted spinach.

Then: Grilled haddock, fried oca, roast tomatoes.

Oca, spinach and tomatoes all from the garden:D

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02033.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Selection of Tapas, serrano ham with membrillo, smashed chickpeas, sauteed potato with chorizo, gambas pil pil, roasted peppers stuffed with black pudding with a red pepper sauce, tortilla and manchego cheese with honey and thyme.

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Hello again...

Fried Chicken with corn on the cob. Finger lickin' good

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

trackguy wrote: »
    Hello again...

Ok, now Trackguys back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fried then grilled chicken thighs with tomatoes and a white wine jus.
    Slaw of carrot, fennel, Jerusalem artichoke and orange juice.

<Don't quote pictures!!>

I am after licking the bloody computer screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hello again...

As Miley would say "Well holy God, Biddy".
    That looks DELICIOUS!
    Please please share the recipe for that scrummy-looking chicken?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Now I really want me some friiiiiiiiiiiiied chikin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Roast chicken with sourdough. I spatchcocked a chook and dressed it with lemon juice, garlic and thyme. Then laid the bird on 4 thick slices of sourdough and scattered fresh cherry tomatoes before roasting for 40 minutes.

I'm trying to imagine this. Does the sourdough then not go all soggy from the chicken juice?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine this. Does the sourdough then not go all soggy from the chicken juice?

I'd imaging the bread would break down almost into a sauce.
    Like beef carbonade often has bread cooked on top of the stew which thickens the sauce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Like beef carbonade often has bread cooked on top of the stew which thickens the sauce.

I'd imagine thick slices of Sourdough would easily soak up any juices and fat as it's so dense and then most of it would toast up quite well do you'd have two big, chicken flavoured crouton type things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox wrote: »

The sourdough is robust enough to not break up. I try and place it to that some of it is standing up out of the dish so that some of it is toasty and dry while the rest is soft and soaked in all that flavour from the chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Just had 'eye of the round' beef cooked the 'high heat' way. Basically you marinate the meat with whatever you fancy. Put it into the oven at 260 degrees celsius. Leave it there for 7 mins per pound(21 mins for my piece), then turn the oven off completely and just leave the meat for 2 hours. Worked perfectly

fussyonion wrote: »

As Miley would say "Well holy God, Biddy".
    That looks DELICIOUS!
    Please please share the recipe for that scrummy-looking chicken?!

You'll need the following -

4 x chicken drumsticks
    4 x chicken breasts
    1 litre buttermilk
    2 cups plain flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tbsp mustard
    2 tbsp each of cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, salt, pepper and celery salt
    1 bottle vegetable/ sunflower oil

The first stop is to marinate the chicken in buttermilk. The buttermilk is flavoured with the same spices that go into the flour mixture later on. You will need to allow at least 6 hours marinading time. Add 1tbsp of cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, salt, pepper and celery salt to the buttermilk, along with the mustard. Whisk to incorporate. Add this mixture to a lunchbox with a tight fitting lid. Add the chicken pieces, seal and leave in the fridge to marinade for at least 6 hours.

When the 6 hours is up, get the "flouring station" ready. Add the flour, baking powder and remaining spices to a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. You will be 'double-dipping' the chicken so you'll need another plate too. Place the chicken and buttermilk beside the bowl with the flour mixture and place the plate to the far side of the flour bowl.

You will need to transfer each piece of chicken from the buttermilk to the flour, back into the buttermilk, back then to the flour and then onto the plate. Still with me? It will get a bit messy but that's part of the fun. Ensure you get a complete coating of flour on the outside of each piece of chicken.

When all the pieces are coated, set aside so the coating can adhere to the chicken. You can now start to heat the oil. You can deep fry them, as you would chips, but the traditional way is to cook them in an inch of oil in a cast iron pan. If you are cooking them this way, you'll need to turn them a few times during cooking.
    Set the pan over a medium/ medium-high heat (about 70% of full power). When the oil is fully hot, it's time to cook.

As this is chicken, it's very important to ensure that you fully cook the chicken. A probe thermometer is the only weapon for me. When your chicken pieces have reached an internal temp of 170f, they are cooked. When inserting the probe (you're so immature) make sure not to make contact with any bones.

Take care when turning the chicken that you don't knock any of the coating off. A plastic-coated tongs is perfect for handling it. If the chicken gets as crispy as you want it but you still suspect it's not fully cooked, transfer it to a baking tray and finish it in the oven for about 10 minutes.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Been getting into cooking a lot more since Her Indoors buggered off to the US and left me to fend for myself, but I hadn't thought to wander in here to discuss it.

Here's what I had tonight: a riff on the chicken and chorizo rice bake from the cooking club, with added button mushrooms. I had planned to add peas, but the senility is kicking in early and I forgot to.

Could have done with more seasoning. That's the challenge of a one-pot dish with semi-raw chicken in it - it's hard to taste it for seasoning at an early stage, so you learn by practising.

chicken-chorizo-rice.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roast chicken, croquettes, Yorkshire pudding, rosemary/garlic/mustard baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots and gravy.

334kegp.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were in Dobbins for Sunday lunch yesterday.
    I had chicken & poached pear salad, slow cooked pork belly and then vanilla & mandarin creme brulee for dessert. Amazing food :)

• Advertisement

Pork Pibil, from a Thomasina Miers recipe.

Slow-cooked neck of pork cooked in a sauce of orange juice, achiote paste, herbs and spices. Served with green rice, refried beans, pickled red onion and manchego cheese.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14221

venison.jpg

Loin of venison, coated with black pepper and rosemary, seared and roasted, served with creamy mash, asparagus and a red wine sauce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks fab, oB! Nice job plating :). I have no plating finesse. I just pile everything on. It's why I never post pictures.

Tonight, we had a slow-cooked beef stew based on Dizzyblonde's recipe with a few adjustments, served with creamy mashed potatoes and homemade yorkshire puddings. Honestly, I'm not sure homemade yorkies are worth it. They were lovely, but I'm not sure the extra loveliness makes up for the extra time and effort involved!

Cheers! Plating isn't my strong point either, but I'm trying to make a point of getting better at it.

I love weekend dinners :) a real chance to sit down relax and enjoy some yummy food!The other night we had some antipasti to start

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14224

Followed by Crispy duck breast with glazed butternut squash

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice light pizza dough ( let to prove for 6 hours )

Mozzarella , ham and red peppers . Oregano basil and garlic powder added :)

231332.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Selection of Tapas, serrano ham with membrillo, smashed chickpeas, sauteed potato with chorizo, gambas pil pil, roasted peppers stuffed with black pudding with a red pepper sauce, tortilla and manchego cheese with honey and thyme.
    Hello again...

Karen - I'm coming around yours for dinner when I get back to Skerries for Christmas. Can you invite trackguy (or at the very least his fried chicken) too?

:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Pork Pibil, from a Thomasina Miers recipe.

Slow-cooked neck of pork cooked in a sauce of orange juice, achiote paste, herbs and spices. Served with green rice, refried beans, pickled red onion and manchego cheese.

Hi trackguy, do you have a recipe for the green rice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nice light pizza dough ( let to prove for 6 hours )

Mozzarella , ham and red peppers . Oregano basil and garlic powder added :)

You do like your pizza Ian :D

• Advertisement

Karen - I'm coming around yours for dinner when I get back to Skerries for Christmas. Can you invite trackguy (or at the very least his fried chicken) too?

:p:D

Haha no prob :p I'll get him to send up a bucket or 2 ;) I'm sure there will be plenty of feasts to be had over the festive period!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement