Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It's possible I need smaller plates, well seasoned steak with sweet potato, corn and asparagus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    It's possible I need smaller plates, well seasoned steak with sweet potato, corn and asparagus.

I like those plates!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Toad in the hole, mashed potatoes with dill and (unfortunately) some steamed frozen veg. Same again tonight! :)

IMG_09931.jpg

(Sorry about the fuzzy pic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Steak and asparagus, with a wine reduction that I forgot about and it reduced down to nothing. Still tasted nice tho.

Edit: massive pic removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Remembered to take a picture before I tackled this bad boy from Paulies Pizza

Parma ham, salami, bacon and black olives

00E91960-96D2-4BD6-BC29-3ABC0893BCDE-30975-000023CFFCB63C00.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I made potatoes, steamed which I added to sauteed leeks and schnitzel.
    No pics. Took it to my mums and we ate it there. Obviously we gave her some of it too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Following Dizzy's post I had a craving for mash & beef stew.

FDE545E7-76C5-41B0-A9FB-C6D79DD730DA-3289-0000050557CDD6FC.jpg

Bucketloads of mash!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No pics again but had a friend around last minute for some dinner so I had to revise the plan of having just the previous nights pork stirfry leftovers for dinner.

Had some very nice smoked salmon I got in Dunbrody House with crisprolls as nibbles. (with lemon and black pepper, of course!)
    Then had the pork mince strifry in iceberg lettuce leaves (like meat sung) and shop bought steamed pork and vegetable buns. (thought I had bought Char Su buns but these were a little different to them)

After that I fried some monkfish medallions then threw in some julienned ginger, garlic and spring onion, a splash of rice wine, some chicken stock and soy sauce and finally some spring onion green and fresh coriander. Had this with rice and steamed choi sam.

Couple of Irish cheeses after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

tmc86 wrote: »
    Remembered to take a picture before I tackled this bad boy from Paulies Pizza

Parma ham, salami, bacon and black

I actually hate you!! :pac: I can't eat pizza at the mo (too many carbs). And do you know what the worst part is? I work in bloody Pizza Hut :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

MarkMc wrote: »
    I actually hate you!! :pac: I can't eat pizza at the mo (too many carbs). And do you know what the worst part is? I work in bloody Pizza Hut :(

Ha It was my weekly cheat meal! Pizza is the hardest thing that I've cut out carb wise too so if I'm having a cheat meal its one of the first choices!

Fair play with the willpower, I'd say its excruciatingly tough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

So instead of actually doing any study, my brain likes to think of things to avoid study but are actually "beneficial" for study..... So here it is, a batch of red curry before and after the pak choi that i was hoping would get me through 2 or 3 days of not studying but myself and the flatmate just polished of near to half of it.
    8251728591_17ccc7da53.jpg
    8251728375_4a0e18d617.jpg

P.s. I think the greatest smell on this earth is a freshly made curry paste simmering in coconut milk, there is no better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

A plate full of carbs. Carbonara. :eek:

33ytjkk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

blueturnip wrote: »
    I like those plates!!

You must be the only one, they were the cheapest ones we could get, I hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Faith wrote: »
    Friendly reminder that we're not in the Diet forum here, folks :). Our posters are welcome to eat as much mashed potato as they like!

It was a F&D's mod's photo and accompanying comment that stimulated the (very few and IMO interesting) comments. This forum can be excessively restrictive at times. It strayed off course a bit but the comments were food for thought (pun resolutely intended ;)). Nobody was insulting or criticising Dizzyblonde. Did this really require a reminder (friendly or otherwise)? I think your comment comes across a teensy bit defensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was a F&D's mod's photo and accompanying comment that stimulated the (very few and IMO interesting) comments. This forum can be excessively restrictive at times. It strayed off course a bit but the comments were food for thought (pun resolutely intended ;)). Nobody was insulting or criticising Dizzyblonde. Did this really require a reminder (friendly or otherwise)? I think your comment comes across a teensy bit defensive.

If you have a problem with a moderator instruction, discuss it by PM, not on thread. If you think a 'friendly reminder' is excessively strict, then I would suggest that you're looking for problems. I don't feel that comments like "look at the giant portion of mashed potato!" are helpful or kind, and I absolutely do not want ANY poster put off posting here for fear that their food or portion sizes will be criticised or even debated.

Do not take this thread off topic any further. If you wish to discuss it more, you can PM my co-mods and I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had chicken with artichokes. Chicken joints pan fried to get loads of colour, then added saffron, smoked paprika, Noilly Prat for a splash of booze. Cooked in the oven with artichokes, green olives and slices of lemon. Ate that with slices of quinoa sourdough and a green salad with goats cheese and pinenuts.

Bangers (2 venison, 1 pork and apple), colcannon, carrots and onion gravy.

DSC02038_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Rack of Lamb, spinach, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had some smallish strip steaks in the fridge and was thinking of doing them with mash but then remembered the lidl lobster in the freezer and hence Surf n Turf!

Dumped the mash idea and went with Asparagus instead (blanched and then flash fried in lemon juice). Griddled the strips and pan fried the lobster (seasoned with lemon, salt and pepper).

Aspargus was very good but I overdid the steak and lobster (still ok but not great)

While not the success I had hoped for I will be trying again and hopefully will have learned from the experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Rib Eye Steak with Rocket, Roquefort and red peppers.

Took 10 minutes to make (I like my steak rare) and was really nice

231878.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Cold Salad of Cannellini (plain,white) beans with roughly chopped tomato and hand-broken boiled new potatoes, dressed with red wine vinegar and olive oil, topped with parsley. Adaptation from a typical Med meal. Also pan-fried some lamb steaks, (medium-rare). Not bad at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Samosas, chicken pakora, onion bhajis, veg pakora, poppadoms

Chicken tikka masala with steamed basmati rice & naan bread

Meringue nests, Christmas compote and double cream

All I made was the mains though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Curry lentil soup for dinner with nann bread and about 5 slices of bread:P It's not as beautiful as the recipe, but it's a nice flavorful gruel (wonder if I have too many lentils)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bangers (2 venison, 1 pork and apple), colcannon, carrots and onion gravy.

Gravy looks amazing! Care to share how you made it?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Lasagne with mixed salad. YUM!

IMAG0721.jpg

Much as I love a traditional roast with roast spuds, roast veg and gravy, I wanted to do something different with a piece of free range pork loin (still roasting it).
    So we had roast loin of pork with fantastic crackling (which got scoffed before I got the camera out), fried polenta cake, roast tomatoes, green beans, pork jus and a stiff salsa verde with pinenuts. As there was so much flavour in the salsa verde, I left everything else pretty plain.

DSC02039.jpg

leahyl wrote: »
    Gravy looks amazing! Care to share how you made it?:)

Easy.
    Fry a finely sliced onion in oil and butter on a med low heat until soft and brownish but not burnt - about 15 minutes.
    Add a dessert spoon of flour and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Mix well.
    Off the heat, add about a mug full of hot stock slowly, mixing to avoid lumps.
    ( I used a Knor rich beef stock pot)
    Bring up to a simmer.
    Add a generous splash of red wine and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
    Simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.
    Taste.
    Add salt/pepper/Worcestershire Sauce/water/mustard/soy sauce etc. as you deem fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Much as I love a traditional roast with roast spuds, roast veg and gravy, I wanted to do something different with a piece of free range pork loin (still roasting it).

Mr Beer can I ask where you get your free reange pork from? We rarely eat pork becuase I can never seem to find free range or organic. Without having to buy a whole box of stuff.

I'd love to do pulled pork but I really dont want to buy standard pork.

Thanks

Mr Beer can I ask where you get your free reange pork from? We rarely eat pork becuase I can never seem to find free range or organic. Without having to buy a whole box of stuff.

I'd love to do pulled pork but I really dont want to buy standard pork.

Thanks

We get a pig between four of us about once a year from a local farmer. Tastes so good!!
    Don't know where you are but O' Mahoney's in the English Market, Cork does very good looking pork.

Since we got the free range pork, I can't bring myself to buy the supermarket or average butcher's factory reared pork - it tastes of nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Sweet chilli glazed salmon ramen. I could eat these every day!! so tasty :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14261

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement