Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We get a pig between four of us about once a year from a local farmer. Tastes so good!!
    Don't know where you are but O' Mahoney's in the English Market, Cork does very good looking pork.

Since we got the free range pork, I can't bring myself to buy the supermarket or average butcher's factory reared pork - it tastes of nothing!!

In Limerick we have Rigneys http://www.rigneysfarm.com/farm_shop.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Long waited for lentils with onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, balsamico and duck breast.

14li8i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Chicken and white wine stew - it was beautiful! Served with steamed new potatoes and garlic sprouts as needed to use up the veg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Cauiflower and brocolli cheese and slow roasted pork belly ribs.

21m5enb.jpg

Succulent.

11wf1jk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

We had a pork sausage and puy lentil casserole tonight. I am trying to get the hang of lentils - tips appreciated!

It had a mirepoix base of leek, celery, onion, garlic and carrot. Herbs were bay and thyme. The cooking liquid was a mix of chicken stock and red wine. We ate it with crusty bread.

It was savoury and flavoursome but lacked something - maybe a little vinegar or lemon juice? Maybe a little apple even. Twas good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Monday night I had a work dinner at Marco Pierre White's.

I only managed a pic of the starter - Goat's Cheese, Walnut and Beetroot Salad.

232429.jpg

Had a wicked fillet steak with Bearnaise Sauce for main and a Raspberry and Chocolate Panacotta served in a margarita glass.

Lovely food and hefty portions, I was fit to be rolled out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slow roast belly pork with satay sauce and pickled red onion in Chinese pancakes. Ginger and chilli cabbage.
    Kind of like an Asian pulled pork.

DSC02052.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Beef and streaky bacon stew with some crusty bread. Followed by some homemade lemon cheesecake!

I can't take any credit for it as it was all mum! The joys of working near home for 2 days!

D036424F-9FF2-4DCA-9AE4-B0572BA190AD-35213-0000291ECC596D3F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm having Ginger, Chilli & Lime Chicken, stir fried with beansprouts & Spring Onion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was a simple supper of anti pasti with salami, parma ham, pickled baby veg (corn, carrots, peppers & onions) & bruschetta with tomato, onion & basil.

Then after my constitutional evening walk in -15C & a foot of snow I came back for some potato soup & more bruschetta. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Indian spiced Cottage Pie with garam masala and Tumeric. Couldn't stop from dishing it out before taking picture:P
    Eh, it's nicer than it looks:P [Removed Image]

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Nothing too Fancy Tonight ! Donegal Catch Fillets, Oven Chips, Peas and bread and butter and of course Aromat to coat the lot !
    The Muller Light is a total contradiction !20121214174423.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

andym1 wrote: »
    Nothing too Fancy Tonight ! Donegal Catch Fillets, Oven Chips, Peas and bread and butter and of course Aromat to coat the lot !
    The Muller Light is a total contradiction !

Is that a smiley face in your butter? :)

I was just going to ask the same thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was just going to ask the same thing!!

It's extremely creepy if it wasn't meant to be :pac:

Go to the top of the class ! Well spotted ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

andym1 wrote: »
    Go to the top of the class ! Well spotted ! :)
    It's kind of hard not to spot it, in fairness! It's a lot of butter, too :D

It's kind of hard not to spot it, in fairness! It's a lot of butter, too :D
    And ...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Beef and Knockmealdown Porter pie. Perfect winter warmer :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14279

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night as I was in a bit of a hurry did a Chicken in one of those season and shake bags. Stuffed it with a whole lemon and its was surprisingly good! Also threw in some chopped root veg and served with roast spuds. All good and the best bit was the lack of cleaning up involved as carved within the bag and then all said dumped!

Was at the Leinster game :eek: so just getting ready to serve a butterfly leg of lamb with spuds and beans (might 'fancy' up my portion!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kenco wrote: »
    as carved within the bag and then all said dumped!

NOOoooo:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

NOOoooo:eek::eek::eek:
    Mea culpa yes I know but given the night in it i didnt have the time or inclination(did keep the leftovers though)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had roast rack of lamb, done on the pan for about 7 minutes and then into the oven for about 20mins, also put pieces of garlic in different parts of the meat which gave a gorgeous flavour.

We had it with green asparagus wrapped in smokey streaky bacon. The asparagus was pan fried in the juices of the lamb and with some pieces of garlic and then put in the oven for about 20 minutes.

We had spinach cooked in milk and butter too, we also had some mashed potatoes with bits of onion in them.

Romantica for dessert.

I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of tonight's dinner after the hours I spent making it!

Roast chicken with roast carrots, parsnips and carrots, and proper gravy made from veg chicken was resting on, chicken wings and wine (should have been white, only had red - very tasty!) oh and stuffing. It was gorgeous, first time I've made a roast I preferred to my mams but I won't be telling her that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Tonight we had five-spice breast of duck, with Nigella's speedy roastinis (gnocchi fried up in a pan, this time using the fat rendered out from the duck breasts), with red cabbage.

There were some mini veg spring rolls for starters and some mince pies for dessert, too, to make it a bit of a pre-Christmas dinner.

And I already have a resolution for the new year: taking more pictures of dinners and all other kinds of food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made cauliflower & feta fritters, served with some stir fried veg. BLOODY GORGEOUS.

Recipe is this one, from the fabulous Smitten Kitchen blog:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/12/cauliflower-feta-fritters-with-pomegranate/

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Had slow roasted venison last night, it was the first time I've ever tried it. Served with mash, roasted butternut squash & celeriac and a red wine gravy - it was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Grilled salmon, sweetcorn salsa, green rice with manchego cheese and some habanero sauce we picked up from Wahaca in London recently :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had a trial run of Christmas dinner. I boned and rolled two flattened breasts of turkey and stuffed it with a sage, onion and chestnut stuffing. I cooked both for 4 hours in a water bath at 63c before browning one in a mixture of butter and oil. It wasn't brined but it still had a decent amount of moisture. The skin was a little tough as it hadn't rendered. Thinking of deep frying the second ballotine to crisp the skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Veal Saltinboca (sic?) with a Rocket Salad at Jamie's Italian, having a teenie bit of coddle now. Delish day!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement