Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Excuse the massive photo uploaded from the phone!

Last night I had sirloin steak on the griddle pan with button mushrooms and onions served with wedges.

Tesco have a great 4 for €1 on selected fruit and veg so I picked up quite a bit however I was too lazy to actually cook any of it when I got home so I settled for wedges!

078C79E1-6A9F-4218-A0D8-FD853CD093B6-860-0000010F41585CAC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Thai green curry with chicken and lots of veg (carrot, spinach, mushrooms, green beans and onion). Had teeny bit of rice but ate it more like a broth than a curry. Very very delicious!

1-11_zps4c617982.jpg

I made cauliflower & feta fritters, served with some stir fried veg. BLOODY GORGEOUS.

Had a pic on my phone of the leftovers that I ate with some salad, very much looking forward to eating these fritters again.

1-11_zpse796552e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

MarkMc wrote: »
    Veal Saltinboca (sic?) with a Rocket Salad at Jamie's Italian, having a teenie bit of coddle now. Delish day!!

I had to go their website to see if it was spelled right on there. It is ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Been having far too many takeaways lately, dunno why cos my own grub can be much nicer!

Tonight we had mince beef enchiladas, side salad with guacamole, couple of chips and my own chilli sauce.

A-gSxibCAAAY-Kr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Cool wrote: »
    Been having far too many takeaways lately, dunno why cos my own grub can be much nicer!

Tonight we had mince beef enchiladas, side salad with guacamole, couple of chips and my own chilli sauce.

Can you give us the enchilada recipe? I've only ever done the Old el Paso ones with chicken :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

fussyonion wrote: »
    Can you give us the enchilada recipe? I've only ever done the Old el Paso ones with chicken :o

No probs!
    I used about 250/300g of beef I think? That was plenty for two people.

Make sauce first:
    Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan. Add a tsp of flour, half tsp oregano, half tsp cumin, half tsp chilli powder (I recently got proper chilli powder from an indian shop, much spicier than the supermarket stuff so that was loads to give it a real kick) and a small clove of garlic. Stir with the oil (add a little more oil if it looks like a paste). If you like it really spicy, throw in a little Tabasco.
    When this is a golden brown colour add a tin of chopped tomatoes. I also put in a half tsp of sugar to cut the tang of the tomatoes and smooth the chilli.
    Let this simmer about 20 mins or so.

Fry your mince in a little oil and strain when browned. Then fry finely chopped red pepper, red onion and a tomato. Add your mince back in, mix it all up with about 2/3 of the sauce.

Make your enchiladas. This amount will fill 1 large or two small tortilla wraps.
    Divide your mince mixture into the tortillas. Wrap them, tucking up the ends of the tortilla to keep everything inside, on a baking tray and if need be put a cocktail stick through them to hold them closed. Spoon the remaining third of your sauce on the top, spreading over it and sprinkle with grated cheese (It works better if you lay the enchiladas touching each other, as sauce won't roll off them then).

Cover with tinfoil - loosely so that your cheese doesn't stick to the foil and come off with it - and pop in the oven for about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Anyone know where I can buy Sweet Basil in Dublin??

My stomach is roaring from all those gorgeous photos!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had duck with potatoes, broccoli and carrots, was delicious.

I rubbed the duck with some orange first, then squeezed some orange over the duck (used a fresh orange), then put the duck in at 175 celsius and after about thirty minutes I took it out, turned it over, rubbed it with more orange and squeezed more orange over it, it was delicious, so crispy and moist. There was no orange flavour from the duck, but I didn't care cos it was gorgeous anyway.

Tonight I did chicken, bacon, mushrooms and penne in cream with some dried herbs (sage, parsley, basil) and some salt, pepper and garlic pureé. It is similar to a carbonara but without eggs and with chicken.

It was inspired by a creamy dish I recently had from an Italian restaurant.

• Advertisement

Tonight we are having roast duck, potatoes, vegs and gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Toast4532 you are singlehandedly keeping this thread alive!

Tonight my dinner was an elaborate disaster. In an attempt to eat less meat, I made a vegetarian lasagna. I thought it through very well, and prepared roasted vegetables, a beautiful tomato sauce and a lovely parmesan bechamel. It took hours. I lashed a load of mozzarella in the layers and topped with 3 cheeses. All rosy?

The flavours were good, but I found the texture of the roasted aubergines and courgettes kind of nauseating. This lasagna would comfortably serve 6, but I'll be composting two-thirds of it. What a waste!

54f66c.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Toast4532 you are singlehandedly keeping this thread alive!

Everyone's so busy in the run up to Christmas that they don't have time for posting here!

We had fillet steak (rare, naturally), with mashed potatoes, fried onions and mushrooms, and a creamy wine sauce. Delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Full on Soltice dinner, starters, melon, paté on crackers, smoked salmon on brown soad bread; main honey roast ham, roast potatoes, roast honeyed carots and parsnits, sprouts, steamed carrots and broccoli, 4 bird roast, gravy, canberry jelly and then whipped cream and raspberry brownie.

Can't fecking move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Full on Soltice dinner, starters, melon, paté on crackers, smoked salmon on brown soad bread; main honey roast ham, roast potatoes, roast honeyed carots and parsnits, sprouts, steamed carrots and broccoli, 4 bird roast, gravy, canberry jelly and then whipped cream and raspberry brownie.

Can't fecking move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I miss this thread, I wish I had time to cook, let alone upload a pic to here!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

A few jars and some pub grub.

Planning on some lamb for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pork lion in honey/mustard mix with roast spuds and cauliflower.

2nv8nqq.jpg

17bas6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Beef balti, with sticky coconut rice. Didn't last long enough for me to get a pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My first attempt at a proper roast.

Roast Turkey crown wrapped in Serrano ham. Sausage, sage and onion stuffing with a little cranberry relish. Goose-fat roast spuds, carrots, parsnips and sweet potato with Turkey gravy, also with a hint of cranberry.

My biggest cooking challenge to date and it went off without a hitch.

http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/d5be7e464cee11e2bee422000a9f14ea_7.jpg

http://distilleryimage1.instagram.com/adae81e64d0a11e291a022000a9f13ef_7.jpg

Followed by my housemate's trifle, a tin of roses and Die Hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Scallops to start, followed by fillet steak medium rare, mash, garlic and mushroom sauce, crisp green salad and coleslaw. That's some good eatin'. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs. Beer was away for a week so I wasn't really cooking proper meals.
    Anyway, she's back so....
    Chicken legs roast with ginger, garlic, chilli and black beans pushed under the skin; Chinese leaves with ginger, garlic, soy, sesame oil and rice wine; white Thai rice; really tasty Chinesey, chickeny, rice winey jus.

DSC02067.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

We had christmas dinner yesterday (see thread : christmas menu):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was roast fillet of lamb served with honey covered roast parsnip and carrot chunks (over did them a little) and of course......roast spuds! Was all very nice!

Sat night we dined out in Pinocchio (Ranelagh). Started with a mix of dips (tapenades, etc) and also Italian sausage with mustard. All very good but massive portions (even for me).

Mains was a super salmon pasta (penne) served in a tomato and brandy sauce. I had lamb cutlets (perfectly done) a simple but good rocket salad and some roast potato wedges (only OK)

Desert (X1) was a beautifully present Tiramisu (served as a cappuchino should have take a photo but it didnt last to long)

I finished with an espresso and a grappa (mild enough but served in the correct glass which was good)!

Would recommend all in all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Omelette of black pudding, cheese and tomato on toast (its a fasting day!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just baked some bread for tomorrow.

Sun-Dried Tomato, basil, oregano, Rosemary and paprika. Should make for nice sambos tomorrow evening.

Lamb shank braised in red wine and stock for 4 hours, the meat was so tender it just fell off the bone. Served with mashed potato and sprouts cooked with chestnuts and shallots. Gravy was the reduced braising liquid, it was the best damn gravy I've ever tasted!

1-11_zps406aa405.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight hopefully will upload pics later :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Hard copy could I have recipe it looks gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night had a rack of lamb served with just some roast parsnips and carrot. Very nice and was praising myself on the portion control for I would say all of one hour after which I decided the cheese selection had to be raided!!!

All good and sure its Christmas!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement